What's new

Holbrooke concerned over anti US sentiments despite aid

H2O3C4Nitrogen

Reaction score
Holbrooke concerned over anti US sentiments despite aid

ISLAMABAD: US Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke on Friday expressed his concern over anti US sentiments of Pakistanis despite channeling of million of dollars of aid to Pakistan.

US Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke expressed these views while talking to a delegation of Parliament at a breakfast on Friday.

The Parliamentarians included Asfand Yar Wali, Ishaq Dar, Salim Saifullah, Jahanghir Tareen, Aftab Sherpao, Faisal Karim Kundi, Tehmina Daultana, Fauzia Wahab while Maulana Fazl ur Rehman despite a formal invitation did not attend the meeting thus boycotting it thick and thin.

Maulana Fazl ur Rehman was of a clear-cut stance that US drone attacks will not be tolerated at least by the JUI-F and we don’t want to talk to him on US so called prudent policies.

One of the Members of the Parliament who was present during the course of the meeting told Online that US Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke expressed his sheer concern over anti US sentiments of Pakistanis despite giving million of dollars as Aid to Pakistan.

The Members of the Parliament urged on US to immediately halt drone attacks as it is tarnishing a bad image on the people of Pakistan besides to ban new law of screening.

They told him that US must release Dr Aafia who is not guilty.

US Special Envoy to Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke told the Parliamentarians that US respects the sentiments of the people of Pakistan thick and thin.

We will not leave Pakistan in dire straits, he pointed.

Pakistan is our ally in war against terrorism and we want to strengthen our relations with it, he stressed.

He further added that democratic government can play a gigantic role to solve the lingering problems of masses thus US policy in this regard is quite unambiguous.

Anti US sentiments hurt holbroke

Somewhere here lies the problem. Just coz US pumps money into a nation, there is no reason why the nation cannot have a say in what US does to it.

Holbrooke rages at 'attitude' of Pak politicians | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

ISLAMABAD - US Special Envoy for Pakistan and Afghanistan Richard Holbrooke ran out of patience on Friday when he flew into a rage over the ‘attitude’ of Pakistani politicians who, he thought, always disliked American politicians.

Breaking all diplomatic norms, the American envoy, during a breakfast meeting with some top Pakistani politicians in Islamabad, got infuriated over the continued criticism of the US for a number of reasons.

The Pakistan politicians who broke bread with Holbrooke were Asfandyar Wali, Ishaq Dar, Salim Saifullah, Jahangir Tareen, Aftab Sherpao, Faisal Karim Kundi, Tehmina Daultana, Fauzia Wahab, Khurram Dastagir, Dr Farooq Sattar and Haji Adeel.
Maulana Fazlur Rehman despite a formal invitation did not attend the meeting.

According to a private TV channel, Fauzia Wahab later confirmed that Holbrooke had shown his annoyance over the attitude of the Pakistani politicians.

Holbrooke was of the view that Pakistani circles hardly mention the positive steps taken by the US for the development of this country.Tahmina Daultana said Holbrooke became angry when politicians started criticising America during the meeting.

Fauzia Wahab said Holbrooke was upset for lack of appreciation of positive measures taken by the US.Talking to The Nation, MNA Khurram Dastagir said that Holbrooke had also told them that Obama administration was seriously thinking to reduce drone strikes in Pakistan.

The issue of drone attacks is serious and sensitive matter but the government of Pakistan reacts over it on special occasions, the US envoy added.

Khurram divulged that when Holbrooke was asked that the US must have free trade agreement with Pakistan, the US envoy replied that his country wanted long-term relations with Islamabad, however the US Congress did not agree on free trade pact.

Even Senator Lindsey Graham from South Carolina who is considered a staunch supporter of Pakistan on various issues but he did not favour free trade with Islamabad, Holbrooke said. He said the US faced a number of difficulties for having trade relations with Pakistan. Holbrooke told the MPs that the US had offered bilateral trade to Pakistan but the latter had not replied. However, he showed optimism that if bilateral trade agreement between the two countries was signed in 2010, it would open ways for free trade agreement.

According to Holbrooke, the US had signed such agreement with Mexico and Canada in 1990.When asked about Dr Aafia, Holbrooke said that her matter was in court.

Online adds: One of the members of the Parliament who was present in the meeting told Online that Holbrooke had expressed his concerns over anti-US sentiments of Pakistanis despite millions-of-dollars aid to Pakistan.

The parliamentarians urged the US to immediately halt drone attacks as these were creating a bad image on the people of Pakistan. They also urged Holbrooke to amend new law of screening. They told him that the US must release Dr Aafia who was not guilty at all.

Holbrooke told the parliamentarians that US always respected the sentiments of the people of Pakistan. “We will not leave Pakistan in the lurch,” he pointed out. “Pakistan is our ally in the war against terror and we want to strengthen our relations with it,” he stressed. He further added that democratic government could play a gigantic role to solve the lingering problems of the masses.
He said Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was present in Pak-Afghan border areas. Pakistan’s armed forces have conducted successful military operations against the terrorists, arresting and killing several of them, he added.

The reconstruction work in the terror-affected areas is a huge challenge and all efforts would be made to meet that challenge successfully, he maintained.

yes please stop the aid once they do they won't have much of a reason to be there anymore and we can start kicking them out.

Shovel up the aid in your arse and get out. We told you so before signing the forced aid bill.

Shovel up the aid in your arse and get out. We told you so before signing the forced aid bill.

Forced? Excuse me but your Govt. Agreed to the aid anyway.

Drone attacks? your military is in full co-operation with it - your politicians are obliged to make the right noises for a domestic audience.

Can we also take all the brand new, shiny F-16s and go home? along with the Cobras that your COAS keeps asking for and other toys your military feels they need to fight India? Last time I checked, the Taliban did not have a Navy and you don't need harpoons either,right?

Let's get real...:rolleyes:

I sometimes feel that Pakistani's just ignore contribution of US years in history. I have learnt here in this forum.
Pakistan got
weapons
training
aid etc etc.
What is wrong when he says Pak politicians agree to drone strike in private but conden in public.

If pakistan doesn't want the aid, then why they accept this ? why so much noise over KL bill?
Why double talk ?why ask US to release more money for WOT, which has become more in more pakistan's survial intrest than US. Without drone attacks, there could have been little pak could have done would have faced grimmer situation by now.

his concern over anti US sentiments of Pakistanis despite channeling of million of dollars of aid to Pakistan.

And here is my great conspiracy theory that Holbrooke does not know. I think that the Aid is still given (now non-military aid) because US is controlling all of Pakistans Nuclear facilities, and GoP in return is asking for money. How about that conspiracy...

And here is my great conspiracy theory that Holbrooke does not know. I think that the Aid is still given (now non-military aid) because US is controlling all of Pakistans Nuclear facilities, and GoP in return is asking for money. How about that conspiracy...

I think you just started a war on this thread.. :azn:

Forced? Excuse me but your Govt. Agreed to the aid anyway.

Drone attacks? your military is in full co-operation with it - your politicians are obliged to make the right noises for a domestic audience.

Can we also take all the brand new, shiny F-16s and go home? along with the Cobras that your COAS keeps asking for and other toys your military feels they need to fight India? Last time I checked, the Taliban did not have a Navy and you don't need harpoons either,right?

Let's get real...:rolleyes:
Haha, the aid is THEIR bribe money.

We have received this aid for 60 years and nothing positive has happened for Pakistan. American tax payers money is being used for the biggest corruption scandal of all time - buying the obedience of foreign politicians.

Nobody in Pakistan gives a flying rats *** about the aid. Yes we are thankless, please withdraw the aid. We are at a point where we would piss you guys off more, the more aid you give us just so that you stop giving us aid :D.

you think Zardari controls Pakistani Nuclear assets :undecided:

Back
Top Bottom