What's new

History of Vietnam or What do you want to know about Vietnam?

Viet

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Viet Nam
History of Vietnam or
What do you want to know about Vietnam?

Thread has been opened as there are increasing complaints by other members due to off-topic comments in numerous non-Vietnam related threads. Hope on fruitful discussions and contributions. All comments except insult are welcome.

@djsjs, I believe you wanted to see this thread a year ago. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to know the similarity and differences between Vietnamese with Southern Hans and the Northern Hans people.

I want to know the similarity and differences between Vietnamese with Southern Hans and the Northern Hans people.
We are a family.

The Viets and Southern Han´s are much closer in terms of look than to the Northern Han´s. Nevertherless we all share the same cultures and custom. Many Viets consider the Southern Hans (Cantonese) as their true brothers and sisters as we both lived a country called NamViet in ancient times.

One of the major differences between the Viets and the Han´s lies the position of women in the society. Traditionally Viets women have more say and right than their sisters in China.

Actually the modern Vietnam history began with the battle of bach dang river in 938 AD. In that year the Vietnamese general Ngo Quyen defeated the invading forces of the Southern Han and put an end to centuries of Chinese imperial domination in Vietnam.

Battle of B

bachdang.jpg

As far as I know, the battle of Ngo Qyuen had a very good tactics that he used the bamboo sticks, placed them under the river and used the tides to hide it. When Southern Han came, they did not notice the bamboo sticks under the river because it was tide time. When tide time ended, the bamboo sticks appeared, destroyed their ships.
Something like that :D I was told by a vietnamese tour guide.

As far as I know, the battle of Ngo Qyuen had a very good tactics that he used the bamboo sticks, placed them under the river and used the tides to hide it. When Southern Han came, they did not notice the bamboo sticks under the river because it was tide time.

When tide time ended, the bamboo sticks appeared, destroyed their ships.
Something like that :D I was told by a vietnamese tour guide.
Not bamboo sticks, but Ngo Quyen let implanting wooden poles with iron tips in the river.

0410huongmutBD.jpg

Several weapons used in Bach Dang battle of 938 (VN army museum)

0410huongmut1BachDang.jpg

Spikes used to prevent the enemy from sailing away in Bach Dang at low tide (VN army museum)

I like how viets screwed the french n the spirit to fight against the americans... n hate the "love you long time GI" bs dialogue from vietnam war movies...

Nam Viet, (Vietnamese), Chinese (Wade-Giles romanization) Nan Yüeh or (Pinyin) Nan Yue, ancient kingdom occupying much of what is now northern Vietnam and the southern Chinese provinces of Kwangtung and Kwangsi.

The kingdom was formed in 207 bce, during the breakup of the Ch’in dynasty (221–206 bce), when the Ch’in governor of Yüeh (now Kwangtung and Kwangsi provinces) declared his territory independent. His son Chao T’o (Trieu Da) expanded the new kingdom southward, incorporating the Red River delta and the area as far south as Da Nang.

20110618174924-74941452.jpg

The sound of Vietnamese language is so bad, it always hurt my head when I am listening Vietnamese people speaking. It is even as bad as Cantonese.
You should listen to French instead, one of most beautiful languages of the world. :lol:

The Kingdom of Nanyue originally comprised the Qin commanderies of Nanhai, Guilin, and Xiang. After 179 BC, Zhao Tuo persuaded Minyue, Yelang, Tongshi, and other areas to submit to Nanyue rule, but they were not strictly under Nanyue control. After the Western Han Dynasty defeated Nanyue, its territory was divided into the seven commanderies of Nanhai, Cangwu, Yulin, Hepu, Jiaoche, Jiuzhen, and Rinan. It was traditionally believed that the Qin conquest of the southern regions included the northern half of Vietnam, and that this area was also under Nanyue control. However, scholars have recently stated that the Qin likely never conquered territory in what is now Vietnam, and that Chinese domination there was first accomplished by the Nanyue themselves.[18]

800px-Nanyue001.png

You should listen to French instead, one of most beautiful languages of the world. :lol:

If French and English inflected the pronunciation of HK Cantonese and Vietnamese back in those days, that will be so good. :undecided:

We look different

It's correct.

The Vietnamese people or the Kinh people are an Austroasiatic ethnic group originating from present-day northern Vietnam and southern China. They are the majority ethnic group of Vietnam, comprising 86% of the population as of the 1999 census, and are officially known as Kinh to distinguish them from other ethnic groups in Vietnam. The earliest recorded name for the ancient Vietnamese people appears as "Lạc".

Back
Top Bottom