What's new

HAL’s Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) taking shape

First of all, the Shakti engine that powers Dhruv and LCH would be to powerful for LUH, that's why Mod wanted Snecma to develop a smaller version of it, but they asked for to high costs. Secondly, we did had some parts in the development, but only a minor part because since then we hardly had any expertise and the engine is still based on the French predecessor.

The issue is not new design of small engine, they asked exorbitant price for designing a new transmission for using single engine shakthi.

Fair enough, because it's not over until it's over, but the chances are very low. ;)

Ka-226 is the front-runner mate. Check on the reports so far. It is far more multirole than the Fennec. No doubt Fennec's a good machine but the 'Sergei' is simply too power packed to lose. An excellent utility helo in light role.

Because both are very different cases, Dhruv was developed mainly with foreign assistance and the early version had also more foreign parts. LCH is mainly a re-design Rudhra, with high commonality to Dhruv in general. HAL LUH on the other side will mainly be developed by HAL and as much as possible should be developed in India, with the experience of the earlier licence productions and the Dhruv/Rudhra/LCH developments. This is the perfect way how we should have made the fixed wing developments as well, by using the advantage of access to foreign partners or techs and with a steady growth in know how and experience. Sadly we didn't and the outcome is tragic!

Even with license making experience, developing Mk.2 and 3 from scratch should have given HAL enough designing experience for LUH. WTF were they doing when Mk.3 Dhruvs were being designed? Sleepwalking?

Btw, as I already told you, there are numerous of reasons why the Ka 226 won't win, but I still hope that HAL scraps the idea of IMRH (which is a conventional one) and joins Kamov on the Ka 92, to get some know how in NG helicopter design and techs as well.

Didn't catch the numerous reasons why Ka-226 won't win. Remove the political factor and Fennec simply has no excuse. :D

I agree though that we should join the a-92 initiative. It is an amazing aircraft.

But have the Russians offered us participation?

Ka-226 is the front-runner mate. Check on the reports so far. It is far more multirole than the Fennec. No doubt Fennec's a good machine but the 'Sergei' is simply too power packed to lose. An excellent utility helo in light role.

Not really and the fact that IA/IAF had chosen the Fennec before should make clear where the preference lies and that for obvious reasons (operational costs, maintenance, spare supply, commonality to HALs LUH, or Dhruv...and so on).

Even with license making experience, developing Mk.2 and 3 from scratch should have given HAL enough designing experience for LUH. WTF were they doing when Mk.3 Dhruvs were being designed? Sleepwalking?

As said, it is a complete new development for them and as long as they plan it better than DRDO with LCA, they can take their time to provide our forces a good and mature aircraft when it is needed. In the meantime, the Fennec will be a very good stopgap! ;)

I agree though that we should join the a-92 initiative. It is an amazing aircraft.

But have the Russians offered us participation?[/QUOTE]

The Russians offered the co-development of an helicopter, but the reports didn't specify one, but the next project of hall was a medium class helicopter and the Mi X1 as well as the Ka 92 fits the bill, although I clearly prefer the Kamov, but with 2 pusher rotors at the side and a rear ramp. Would be in the same class and with similar advantages as the V22!

luhstructure.jpg

Lower purchase cost, Lower Maintenance cost, Lower life cycle cost. COST, COST & COST.
Too bad the government departments are so pathetic that htey think money is an infinite resource.

LUH is a derivative of a proven helicopter namely the Dhruv and yet we have failed to see a working prototype of the device in all these years.

So much so that even LCH's production has not started chugging by now en masse.

If HAL is understaffed and overloaded then why the hell doesn't the government hive off sections of helicopters and fixed wing aircraft into two separate divisions? The only reason why they don't take these obvious measures is because the quota wallas are scared of a little competition.

HAL is a useless organization. They proposed to use same engine as ALH dhruve. LUH should have been flying by now.

HAL is a useless organization. They proposed to use same engine as ALH dhruve. LUH should have been flying by now.

Actually LUH has an uprated engine with 15 or 30% more output (I'm not sure about the numbers)

Actually LUH has an uprated engine with 15 or 30% more output (I'm not sure about the numbers)

Great news if true. Now make it fly as soon as possible. This idiots of HAL will ruine the projects. LCH 1 flew a long back. Till date TD 3 has not come. It was supposed to be operationalized in 2014.

Back
Top Bottom