What's new

Govt plans all-weather fencing along LoC

Soumya_india

Reaction score
After having spent huge money, the Union Home Ministry has called experts again to look at option of having all-weather fencing along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir to check infiltration.

Union Home Secretary R K Singh will soon meet representatives from the IIT, Central Public Works Department, National Buildings Construction Corporation and Army’s Engineering Corps to ascertain the feasibility of having fencing that can endure heavy snow falls and avalanches.

If the outcome of the high-level meeting throws up a feasible solution to the vexed fencing issue, the ministry will subsequently prepare a note seeking approval from the Cabinet Committee on Security, which is headed by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Of the more than 2,000 km Indo-Pak border, 740 km is stretched along the LoC in J&K. Due to heavy snow, 83 km of the barbed wiring was uprooted, making it convenient for the terrorists to cross over when summer approaches.

Sources said that pillars of the world’s second highest Gandola cable car in Gulmarg, Kashmir, can withstand extreme weather. The engineering used for making cable car structure can be replicated for erecting pillars between fencing along the LoC.

To come up with a permanent solution, the ministry wants to have a holistic view, as they have decided to seek the help of Indian Meteorological Department to find out vulnerable weather points along the fencing stretch.

The ministry through the help of other security stake holders has mapped about 40 traditional infiltration routes that need to be insulated to check terrorists slipping into this side of the border. A double parallel row of fencing guards the border with a wire mesh, which is electrified and connected to a network of motion sensors, thermal imaging devices, lighting systems and alarms.

Govt plans all-weather fencing along LoC

Yeah sure , but before that , can we please have an all weather fencing or a concrete wall at the India- Bangladesh border ? These morons don't have their priorities right. Personally , I think preventing thousands of illegal bangladeshis from entering is far more imporant than preventing a few hundred terrorists from entering , who will be killed in encounters anyway. Feel free to disagree.

I don't think infiltration across LOC is that big an issue now , relative to the other threats we have. We should concentrate our resources in fighting maoists , naxalites , and preventing pole vaulters from coming here. Maoists and Naxalites kill more Indian soldiers in 1 year than what kashmiri terrorists will ever kill. Besides , let's not even talk about pole vaulters. They are a ticking time bomb.

Yeah sure , but before that , can we please have an all weather fencing or a concrete wall at the India- Bangladesh border ? These morons don't have their priorities right. Personally , I think preventing thousands of illegal bangladeshis from entering is far more imporant than preventing a few hundred terrorists from entering , who will be killed in encounters anyway. Feel free to disagree.

I don't think infiltration across LOC is that big an issue now , relative to the other threats we have. We should concentrate our resources in fighting maoists , naxalites , and preventing pole vaulters from coming here. Maoists and Naxalites kill more Indian soldiers in 1 year than what kashmiri terrorists will ever kill. Besides , let's not even talk about pole vaulters. They are a ticking time bomb.
Yes well said, It's hight time now we have to start looking at bangladesh border as well, coz protecting border from oneside doesn't give full safety as terrorist, maoist they infiltrate from BD border and also it will check the infiltration of illegal migrants so called Indian Bengali muslims who want to bring mess along with them in our country.

In a perfect world every border area that needs improvement could be upgraded simultaneously.

What order would people list the following in importance?

LAC- China
LOC-kashmir
Bangladesh border
Burma border
Bhutan border
Nepal border

Putting a new fence up is doing nothing to solve this problem in the long run. We need to move cities, towns, and villages near the borders. There needs to be a huge gap in distance from the border to the nearest population. Mine the field, create multiple fence grids, towers, infra red, use Korean operated robotic guns, sensors, etc. This has to be a comprehensive plan. Doing it one area will only force our enemies to look at other loopholes to exploit which they have in the past.

In a perfect world every border area that needs improvement could be upgraded simultaneously.

What order would people list the following in importance?

LAC- China
LOC-kashmir
Bangladesh border
Burma border
Bhutan border
Nepal border

The logic is flawed. You say in a perfect world but in fact our problems are so great that we should be doing this ASAP. Man the borders if we cannot build now. I mean really man the borders. The NE has so mnay pockets in the border where you can walk back and forth with no problem. Every border you mentioned is equally important. Think about it. When we have put in place improved checks in the LOC border, our enemies go viz NEPAL, Bnagladesh, Burma and even Sri Lanka

Awesome first step. We need to have 2 electrified fences with a minefield between the two. No scum should think of crossing into India to attack it. The majority of the deaths in that region is either because of these guys or because of fighting these guys.

Personally , I think preventing thousands of illegal bangladeshis from entering is far more imporant than preventing a few hundred terrorists from entering , who will be killed in encounters anyway. Feel free to disagree.

How so? These are poor folks that come in search for jobs. I agree that illegal immigration needs to be stopped, but we cant consider them genuine national security threats. As much as the terrorists. However I would say build a fencing, and have a common entry point, with on arrival visa facilities etc., So if someone wants to work or whatever, can get a visa and get in legally. And first of all eliminate the corrupt border security guards who take a few hundred bucks to let illegal immigrants pass. Its not like our plate is clean either.

I agree with the that. Maoist scum should be crushed and eliminated from society. They have done far too much over the years, including raping kids.

Ya but those fences cost a lot of money. Your government has to divert that money from the poor. More people will die due to starvation and suicide and more children will remain malnourished which is around 44% now in India, more Indians will defecate open which is around 51% now, more children will remain without immunisation which is around 40% now.

Very sad indeed.
India has money and it spends, the spending being less that 3% of GDP is not a huge amount however, if smaller economies feel threatened that India is spending too much - who really cares for your rants..

Ya but those fences cost a lot of money. Your government has to divert that money from the poor. More people will die due to starvation and suicide and more children will remain malnourished which is around 44% now in India, more Indians will defecate open which is around 51% now, more children will remain without immunisation which is around 40% now.

Very sad indeed.

Still invested is needed to keep away hungry pole vaulters from your country who are increasing the population of poor in India.

If not providing the priority for India-Bangladesh border, attach the same level of significance for the India-Bangladesh as the LOC. If you see the Lt Gen Sinha's letter to the Government of India in 1998 expressing concern, he pointed out these points. He was the governor of Assam when he wrote that letter.

1. India-Bangladesh border is 2 feet shorter than LOC.
2. India-Bangladesh border was supposed to be fenced as per the 1985 Assam accord but by the time the letter was written in 1998 the fencing was not completed whereas on the Punjab border, the fencing started in 1988 and completed by 1992.
3. The density per km of the BSF manning India-Bangladesh border is much lower than the LOC and India-Pakistan border.

Also he requested lighting of the fences in certain regions of the India-Bangladesh border.

Awesome first step. We need to have 2 electrified fences with a minefield between the two. No scum should think of crossing into India to attack it. The majority of the deaths in that region is either because of these guys or because of fighting these guys.

How so? These are poor folks that come in search for jobs. I agree that illegal immigration needs to be stopped, but we cant consider them genuine national security threats. As much as the terrorists. However I would say build a fencing, and have a common entry point, with on arrival visa facilities etc., So if someone wants to work or whatever, can get a visa and get in legally. And first of all eliminate the corrupt border security guards who take a few hundred bucks to let illegal immigrants pass. Its not like our plate is clean either.

I agree with the that. Maoist scum should be crushed and eliminated from society. They have done far too much over the years, including raping kids.

You guys are only looking at it from a terror view. Yet you fail to acknowledge the black money, sex trafficking, human smuggling, spying, subversive activities, etc. This is and will cause more harm to India. Don;t get it wrong, bombings and terror are still high priorities but the other stuff I pointed out hit our economy and our wealth creation hard. Nepal has an open border policy with India and China pushing Nepal towards it sphere of influence will only enable them. I can go on and on but nation or empire in history, borders have always been the first area to control. Not doing so, will only lead to more problems.

Illegal Bangladeshi immigrants are a really big headache!!The GoI really need to put things in place by doing whatever is necessary to prevent illegal population influx from BD . . .even if the GoI is required to come up with a concrete wall at the BD border :woot:!!These illegal Bangladeshis are really creating a lot of trouble in the NE states especially in lower Assam.

Illegal Bangladeshi immigrants are a really big headache!!The GoI really need to put things in place by doing whatever is necessary to prevent illegal population influx from BD . . .even if the GoI is required to come up with a concrete wall at the BD border :woot:!!These illegal Bangladeshis are really creating a lot of trouble in the NE states especially in lower Assam.

1.Aho Saradarji, you are right. Why not build a Great Wall of India? Chinese experts would get some job.

2. Obviously Indian Home Ministry babus have no idea of the Kashmir terrain. They can only build fence in places which infiltrators would normally avoid. And how about the Kashmiris living within?

Very sad indeed.

Look, this is India's internal affair. Why is it so important to you to come and cry about poverty on this thread about INDIA fencing INDIA's borders? Could it be that this news has upset your future plans to worm your way into India? We know that news like this can upset Bangladeshis and their future plans, but sorry to inform you, we Indians are firmly with the GoI on this, and that is all that matters.

And by the way, we are not extorting money from starving people to build this fence. It will be built using taxpayers' money, and the people who pay taxes in India are far from poor. In fact, they are a lot more well off than your people, which is why we are having to build this fence in the first place - to prevent pole vaulting freeloaders from coming here and using the services paid for by Indian taxpayers, and to prevent terrorist a-holes from harming our poor, middle class or rich people.

Back
Top Bottom