What's new

First Look: India’s first fighter jet turns 50

acetophenol

Reaction score
Country
India
HF-24 (Marut), India's first fighter jet aircraft has completed 50 years since its maiden flight. To commemorate this occasion Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) will be holding Golden Jubilee celebrations on June 17 at the Ghatge Convention Centre, HAL Airport Road.

From the designers, production personnel, test crew, maintenance personnel to the operational pilots, everyone who contributed to the Marut saga will take part in the Golden Jubilee Celebrations.

On 17 Jun 1961, with Gp Capt Suranjan Das at the controls, the HF-24 took to the air. On 10 May 1964, the first Maruts were handed over to the Indian Air Force. HAL built 129 single seaters and 18 trainers from 1964 to 1977.

The Marut had successfully taken part in the war against Pakistan its squadrons ended the war with four Vir Chakras and a Mention in Despatches the aircraft was immersed in controversy over its engines and that was a problem that remained insurmountable till the very end.

The last sortie of the aircraft was flown on October 8, 1984 on the Air Force Day by Wg Cdr Vikram Pethia before it was de-commissioned.

800px-HAL-HF-24-Marut.jpg

We learned a lot during the development of HF -24. We just threw all that knowledge and expertise away. The military aviation industry of a country is not built that way, in fits and starts. We need to be consistently at it. I hope that we have learnt from our mistakes.

We learned a lot during the development of HF -24. We just threw all that knowledge and expertise away. The military aviation industry of a country is not built that way, in fits and starts. We need to be consistently at it. I hope that we have learnt from our mistakes.
you are correct. hal has been denied to operate in its full capacity and capability in the 80s and 90s.
i remember readin the book "lost decade"

still the IAF prefferences to imported aircrafts , they buy the Hunter dispite been close to Marut HF-24.....

it has been 50 years to its flight..
but not 50 years of service..
marut's flew for 30 years in service..

India's true all round jet fighter.. the Mig-21.
has completed.. lets see from 1964 to 2011.,. 47 years in service!!
And will be around for its 50 years in service..
an amazing feat!

^^ Mig-21 was good fighter indeed!

Marut is a great achievement of Indian fighter aircraft development.

If we might had developed that with out break, we would have mastered aircraft industry.
After the retirement of these, we thought to produce LCA.

Back
Top Bottom