What's new

Explosion sinks INS Sindhurakshak Submarine with 18 onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me, when subs are at exercise, their compartments are definitely NOT sealed. Where did you learn this dumb 'fact' from?

When I sailed on a submarines you dumb cluck! It is called Zulu State! You can go from one compartment to another but you have to close the hatch behind you. Learn from the professionals. Kursk was at Z State as it was about to fire a new kind of Torpedo.

Not possible to move subs out of Mumbai . It's heart of Western naval command. Mumbai is too precious to be left devoid of sub base. Where else these subs can be based - Karwar ? . Given strategic importance of Mumbai and closeness To Pakistan ( mere distance of 884 km from Karachi ) it's necessary to keep naval base with submarine arms at its disposal.

What does this has to do with the explosion??? All I am saying is that there is a high possibility that the explosion took place due to some man-made fault. (as some members are indicating towards a battery problem)

It has a lot to do with special Fire Fighting and containment facilities. The Indian Navy has a special berth in Mumbai. I forgotten where it was.

In fact, it is clearly India cannot allow to operate and 30-times maintenance Aircraft Carrier without supports, it is risky. Indian Navy's history has repeatedly bad records just recent example of dockyard explosions.

They should not make same mistake explosions on Aircraft Carrier coming within few years...

Not possible to move subs out of Mumbai . It's heart of Western naval command. Mumbai is too precious to be left devoid of sub base. Where else these subs can be based - Karwar ? . Given strategic importance of Mumbai and closeness To Pakistan ( mere distance of 884 km from Karachi ) it's necessary to keep naval base with submarine arms at its disposal.

Submarines are not like missile corvettes which can skim at 40 knots appear in a few hours at Karachi and unload hell. All Navies have one fully armed submarine at sea on war patrol. Basing them at Karwar would be a good idea. I am sure it will happen soon. Infact once the Scorpene appear all Kilo classes will shift to the East coast.

How much is the loss of the Sindhurakshak going to affect the operational capability of the IN?

In fact, it is clearly India cannot allow to operate and 30-times maintenance Aircraft Carrier without supports, it is risky. Indian Navy's history has repeatedly bad records just recent example of dockyard explosions.

They should not make same mistake explosions on Aircraft Carrier coming within few years...

After reading your comments on First Thread, i thought You must have been banned till now......but no you are live and kicking....

Breaking News Defence Minister AK Antony says navy personnel have died in submarine explosion, gives no details. !!

R.I.P our thoughts are with their families.

Wait until a clearer picture emerges- makes perfect sense.

It has a lot to do with special Fire Fighting and containment facilities. The Indian Navy has a special berth in Mumbai. I forgotten where it was.

Sir, whatever containment facilities there might be.. But the fact towards which I was indicating was that it is normal in navies to have subs closely parked.
Because we don't see such incidents in other countries, hence it can't be taken as a negative aspect.

Breaking News Defence Minister AK Antony says navy personnel have died in submarine explosion, gives no details. !!

R.I.P our thoughts are with their families.

R.I.P to the dead!

I personally want to consider it as national tragedy and we should not do any kind of celebration on our independence day..... JMPO

Sir, whatever containment facilities there might be.. But the fact towards which I was indicating was that it is normal in navies to have subs closely parked.
Because we don't see such incidents in other countries, hence it can't be taken as a negative aspect.

Dear Sir, you are very wrong. No submarine is kept loaded with Torpedoes and berthed alongside other ships. They go to something called an armament berth, load their armaments sail on something called a war patrol come back unload their missiles and torpedoes which then go to the armament depot where they are serviced and stored. The Indian Navy has its depot opposite the Naval Base on an island in Bombay. Some Indian Navy serving Officer on this forum will confirm the same. I suspect this submarine was about to go or had come back from its forward deployment of the Coast of Pakistan.

Wait until a clearer picture emerges- makes perfect sense.

You are right but an explosion as seen on TV would ensure 100 % fatalities on board as the shock wave and the flash fire which would have raced through a enclosed hull even if the hatches were open would fry up everybody. sad day for the Indian Navy.

It's agreed that Mumbai will be the most sought after target in event of war .Won't it be logical to equip it with most potent force to defend with impunity ?. Won't it be logical that in event of Naval attack ( I know it's very unlikely than missile attack-since Mumbai is well within Pakistan'e medium range missiles ) on Mumbai - attack submarine at Mumbai will be more handy than one based at Karwar ( further 660 km away ) .

Well I am just a medico . Do not have proper insight how things work out militarily. just guessing ...

Dear Sir, you are very wrong. No submarine is kept loaded with Torpedoes and berthed alongside other ships. They go to something called an armament berth, load their armaments sail on something called a war patrol come back unload their missiles and torpedoes which then go to the armament depot where they are serviced and stored. The Indian Navy has its depot opposite the Naval Base on an island in Bombay. Some Indian Navy serving Officer on this forum will confirm the same. I suspect this submarine was about to go or had come back from its forward deployment of the Coast of Pakistan.

You are right but an explosion as seen on TV would ensure 100 % fatalities on board as the shock wave and the flash fire which would have raced through a enclosed hull even if the hatches were open would fry up everybody. sad day for the Indian Navy.

Oooh now I get it!! :eek: Seems I was'nt wrong either but was missing some vital points.. Thankx.. :thank_you2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom