What's new

Emergency Imposed!

Vote about Emergency Imposed!

• I support it. I am done with CJ, political instability, Benazir.

Votes: 36 54.5%
  • I condemn it. Musharraf needs to step down, and elect as a RETIRED General.

Votes: 30 45.5%

• Total voters
^

Thats what all politicians feared of, even Imran Khan was commenting about this, and on Capital talk the anchor many times asked Arbab and Chaudri and other gov officials to say if there will be any emergency or marshal law.

Come on Webby how credible is CNN its owned by the Neo-cons, anyways the CNN saying she feared emergency sounds significant to the reality that Pakistan faces.

Reasons behind imposition of emergency

* Attacks on state infrastructure, security agencies

Agree here, but that wasnt the only reason, musharraf wanted to save his kursi too

Judicial interference:

* Affecting war against terrorism, economic growth

Gov arrested people without any proof, now if they are proven innocent in the court then they are released; The Gov wanted to give these innocent people to CIA.

I wonder how enforcing emergency is positive for economy?

* In executive functions

* Weakening government’s writ

* Demoralising police, hampering intelligence agencies

* Release of some militants by court orders

* Judges overstepping their authority

* Supreme Judicial Council made irrelevant

* Judges humiliating government officials in courts

So how is summoning officials in court is humiliating? now I think that these generals are free to do anything, & not answerable to anyone. Not good.

* Trichotomy of powers eroded, law and order affected

Emergency is not some kind of magic pill, The people have lost hope in Musharraf.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan[/QUOTE]

^Alright, but let's assume Musharraf wanted to save his "kursi" (there's no proof of it though). Would this be a bad thing? What are the alternatives? Bhutto or NS in power? No thanks, I'll take Musharraf. Remember Musharraf could easily retain his army post. He will have a high rank in the army even if he was not president, so he doesn't need the presidential seat. He's in a thankless position, and doing a fine job that he really doesn't need the stress and strain of. Bhutto has already proven she loves FOREX, and NS ran the economy into the ground (both without economic sanctions).

On the subject of government handing people that were proved innocent, I would agree that they should be released if found innocent. Have you got any links that these people are being handed over that have been found innocent? Does the government admit it?

All is fine. But one of the cool things about Musharraf was his liberal attitude. Arresting the opposition leaders without cause, arresting all UN HR personnel, shutting down all TV channels till they agree upon some really ridiculous rules that would prevent them from criticizing the government, etc.

Even the emergency can be overlooked. In fact that is not the issue. He could hang the CJ upside down, no love lost between Mush supporters over the CJ handling. However every person who supports Mush supports him for a set of reasons. He is killing those reasons one by one. THAT in fact is the real undoing of his 7 years of (good) work.

Surprising change of tune of forum members from the past.

One can't blame anyone then since they are on the spot and I am not.

Things then surely is not what we are reading in media.

I was under the impression that he was doing a great job. I still wish to believe so; but you chaps know the stuff on the ground and not me!

Nonetheless, I sure hope alls well that ends well.

Like most Pakistanis I am up late listening to the developments on ARY and Geo TV available in the UAE. Phone connections to Pakistan are difficult and people there are asking me about the news.

Whatever happened and for whatever reason is water under the bridge. The deed is done and cannot be undone. The main question we should be asking is what comes next?

IMO Musharraf was justified in imposing emergency as attacks such as on BB procession in Karachi and on PAF bus in my city ( Sargodha) cannot be allowed to go on in any country unless it is Somalia, Afgahnistan or Iraq.

These are not ordinary times and Pakistan is in an emergency situation whether declared or not. Only way to deal with this situation is to arrest people on suspicion only; I would rather be arrested, searched and questioned than be blown up by an Islamist idiot. No different to the search and questions one has to undergo when travelling to US if one has a muslim name. This happened to my wife when she went to US recently, she was very angry but I told her that wasnt this humiliating treatment despite having a UK Passport preferable to being blown up in the air or in a shopping mall in Chicago??

Will this act sort out the situation and there will be peace in the immediate future??. I am afraid that Musharraf will not be able and situation will worsen.
This is classic catch 22; you are damned if you do nothing and damned if you do. So what is to follow if the situation goes beyond control despite the current emergency?

I fear a proper martial without Musharraf with orders to shoot any trouble makers on sight. What would then happen to the democratic process??

Am I painting a dooms day scenario?? May be, but the way things were going and could go, what do the Hon members think is likely to happen??. I agree with the opinion " To hell with the international opinion". When there is danger to the State itself, every thing else is of little consequence.

Looks Like that rumors are spreading thick and fast and that there is counter coup against Musharraf and he is house arrested....But then ISPR denied officially...

No Truth in Army command change: DG ISPR – By Mateen Haider –

Islamabad. November 4, 2007: The Director General Inter Services Public Relations and Military Spokesman Major General Waheed Arshad has denied that top command of the Pakistan Army has been changed and Vice Chief of Army staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani has taken over as new commander. Arshad was asked to comment about rumour which gripped the country that as a result of the counter-coup, General Pervez Musharraf has been removed and General Kayani taken over as next chief. “There is no such thing, these are just rumours” Arshad told dawn News. Earlier, a strong rumour gripped the country that Chief of Army Staff General Pervez Musharraf had been replaced by Vice chief of Army staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani and that there was troops movement around Aiwan-e-Sadr. (Posted @ 14:15 PST)

Source- Dawn

could this be a possibilty in current scenario ?

This should act as a rude awakeneing to all those Mushraff supporters. Mushraff was promotoed as the 'solution to all that ails Pakistan' nd now that very solution has become the biggest ailment!!!.

People who clapped and cheered mushraff for throwing away corrupt civilian ruler like BB and NS now sees he siding with BB for hanging on to power.

He has lost it!!! The media savvy Mushraff was suddenly seen stabbering out words LIVE on national TV while imposing emergency. Its only a nervous mind that lets out stuk words.

His reason, the weirdest of all for going after the supreme court, 'it is standing in the way of dealing with terrorists'!!! So you arrest the CJ and put him under house arrest and installs a new CJ.

So wont the new CJ too go by the same rule book?

If law is standing in the way, he is got all the powers, change it or impose new terror laws, why take away freedom?

:enjoy:MR,bull bhai, let me tell u something, NRO, i think, now gone with the wind, already. and as for BB , WE r not going to see her as primeminster of ,pakistan,even if , she can get through, NRO, but still, our constitution, still cant, give her third term,,, so dear thts the way it is,plz if u want to make her as ur primeminster of india, i will be supporting u, she?????:enjoy::cheers::pakistan::cheers::china:

Constituion? Mr. Mushraff can just it by a wink of an eye.

Of course I have, cant you see my Avatar how would I know this great leader unless I wasn't a Pakistani. .

The man in your avatar was no doubt an intellegent man. Though i wasnt born to then to see him but i had watched videos of his public speeches and i felt he knew evry well how to exploite public mood and mould their opinion unlike his daughter he knew how to become one with common man thats why his supporters also supported Benazir Bhutoo but alas she is brainless, looter, greedy woman who can only do anything for the same Kusri.

I have been to Pakistan and seen every corner, nook and cranny. And no my country better than others.
Visiting Pakistan and living here among the people and know the public opinion on daily basis and know the atmospher of feelings on changing development is two different things.

Today Lawyers and political parties call for protest and all those living here know very well how many common people turn up for this protest.

In Peshawar many prominent Lawyers went on hidding. this is their state of commitment to the protest call.
Thank God there is calm in the country no violent protest and that is the most important thing. People have more important problems of daily life to solve rather than coming on streets for greedy and opportunist politicians and vested elements.

The general's iron fist | Special reports | Guardian Unlimited

The general's iron fist

Leader
Monday November 5, 2007
The Guardian

This time there were no midnight instructions from the US secretary of state to the president of Pakistan about why he could not impose a state of emergency, as was the case in August. The boot was on the other foot. On Friday the head of US Central Command, Admiral William Fallon, threatened to cut the US funding that keeps the corrupt military regime in business ($10bn since 2001 and $80-100m a month for the war in the tribal region of Waziristan) if General Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency. The general went ahead anyway. Britain and the US pressured the general for a pledge to hold national elections, due in January. The general said nothing about holding elections in his midnight address on Saturday, and yesterday Pakistan's prime minister, Shaukat Aziz, rubbed salt into the wound by saying fresh elections could be a year away. Gen Musharraf has called Washington and London's bluff, knowing they have no option but to back him. In launching what is, in effect, his second military coup in eight years, the general has exposed the impotence of the US and Britain to control a key ally with nuclear weapons. With troops on the ground in Afghanistan, and the military situation in Nato's war against the Taliban and al-Qaida delicately poised, the US cannot make more than faint bleating noises when its key ally across the border buries democracy for the foreseeable future. Condoleezza Rice said last night that Washington was reviewing the aid package to Pakistan, but the options of the US secretary of state are limited - if, that is, she wants Pakistan's army to continue its costly campaign in Waziristan. The American empire, if there is such a thing, is only just coming to terms with the fact that one of its pro-consuls has gone awol.The general also dealt a blow to Washington's plan to stage the comeback of the former prime minister Benazir Bhutto. Far from being the vehicle of the promised transition from dictatorship to democracy, as she told her adulatory supporters on her recent return from exile, Ms Bhutto risks becoming a political hostage. Yesterday her denunciation of Gen Musharraf for imposing a "mini-martial law" was ritualistic. What she omitted to say was more important - that she and her party would lead the protest movement of lawyers and civil-rights activists that would bring down emergency rule and herald free elections. For good reason - Ms Bhutto's Pakistan Peoples party was left unscathed by the wave of arrests launched yesterday against fellow members of the opposition.

The general holds a sword of Damocles over Ms Bhutto's head, in the form the amnesty from prosecution on corruption charges which she obtained before her return. If Gen Musharraf can sack his chief justice, Iftikhar Chaudhry, along with seven other supreme court justices who refused to take a fresh oath following the suspension of the constitution, the general can also rescind the so-called national reconciliation ordinance; if he did, Ms Bhutto would be heading back for another stint in exile. But if she allows the January election date to pass she will lose her democratic credentials, which is why key figures in her party were worried by the amnesty she obtained.

If Ms Bhutto is out of the picture, that leaves the lawyers and human-rights activists who took to the streets when the chief justice was first suspended eight months ago. The omens for protesters are not good. Independent television stations have been shut down, and Pakistan's feared secret police are free to act without judicial oversight. A day after declaring that he was acting to hold the country together against Islamic militants, Gen Musharraf moved against human-rights activists such as Asma Jehangir, chairman of the independent Human Rights Commission of Pakistan. The general is showing his iron fist, and there is little his western backers can do about it.

Today Lawyers and political parties call for protest and all those living here know very well how many common people turn up for this protest. In Peshawar many prominent Lawyers went on hidding. this is their state of commitment to the protest call. Thank God there is calm in the country no violent protest and that is the most important thing. People have more important problems of daily life to solve rather than coming on streets for greedy and opportunist politicians and vested elements.

Come on Jana, there was a cricket match on with India why would the comman man turn out for saving democracy. Cricket is more important.

Regards

200 men of PA were not held by Taliban but by MI. They were released just to show emergency is having positive effect. This was arranged by ISI.

Sorry it was not due to emergency it was after releasing 25 bad men. Not a bad ratio 1 militant = 20 FC men. I thinks its a bad decision as next time they want to release more miltants they will capture more FC men.

Govt frees 25 militants in exchange for 213 hostages -DAWN - Top Stories; November 05, 2007

Govt frees 25 militants in exchange for 213 hostages

By Alamgir Bhittani

TANK, Nov 4: The government on Sunday freed 25 militants in exchange for the release of 213 army personnel who were held hostage in South Waziristan for more than two months.

Military spokesperson Maj-Gen Waheed Arshad confirmed that 211 soldiers had been released and said that 25 militants who had been arrested under the Frontier Crimes Regulation (FCR) were also freed. Some of the freed militants had been convicted by an anti-terrorism court.

“I can’t say anything about the physical condition of soldiers at this moment, but there will be a debriefing session and medical check-up of all the released soldiers,” he told Dawn by phone from Islamabad.

He said that 211 soldiers were released on Sunday while two had been freed on Saturday.

Sources said that militants had brought 213 soldiers to Tiarza Khula, a remote area in South Waziristan, and handed them over to tribal elders. The military authorities brought the 25 militants in two helicopters to the brigade headquarters in Zari Noor colony near Wana. They were later taken to Tiarza Khula for the swap.

The sources said that seven militants had been released from the central jail in Dera Ismail Khan and 18 had been brought from Islamabad.

Zulfiqar Mehsud, spokesman for Baitullah Mehsud, and his deputy Fakher Alam Mehsud handed over the soldiers to a jirga headed by former MNA Maulvi Mirajuddin.

Militants had on Aug 30 kidnapped 247 army personnel, including eight officers, in the Momi Karam area of South Waziristan. Later, 31 soldiers were released and three were shot dead. The sources said that militants had returned weapons, vehicles and communication equipment captured from the military personnel.

Mr Mirajuddin, who brokered the deal, said that issue had been resolved amicably and the two sides agreed to implement the Sararogha peace accord in letter and spirit.

Sources in Peshawar told Dawn that the NWFP government had also withdrawn seven terrorism cases pending before the anti-terrorism court in Dera Ismail Khan against some of the arrested militants.

Come on Jana, there was a cricket match on with India why would the comman man turn out for saving democracy. Cricket is more important.

Regards

MY sweetheart Qudrati :P emergency was imposed two days back match was today ;) .

Indeed cricket is more important for common man than lootocracy

Back
Top Bottom