What's new

Dont Worry Democracy is Here!

All that is fine if the leader (dictator, general whatever) is benevolent and efficient. If he turns out to be a psycopath like Idi Amin or a warmongering mass murderer like Hitler, god save your country.

And apart from the fact that you have no means of predicting what type of leader you'll get, how do you know if that leader will actually step down in some time like you're hoping?

Well said... The problem is that we generally talk about leaders alone and overlook the importance of the system... as long as we remain in the current oppressive system of ruling and economics no mai ka laal can fix the place... There needs to be a complete change of system...

I agree with somebozo's point about the military helping in this process... For this one needs to understand a few more details...

1. No bloody coups... The Army has to stay what it is... a professional institution that is supposed to defend the land... I remember many years ago some officers in the Pak Army were arrested for attempting to overthrow the government via a coup and declare the establishment of the Caliphate... The very fact they were opting for a coup would have resulted in a Dictatorship rather than a Caliphate... It is not the job of a General to run a country... Generals have to lead the military... Ruling should be separate from the military at all costs... and all change should come after the ideas of change gain in popularity amongst the public...

2. The alternative system to the crazy mess we have in our countries has to be understood by those who want to bring change... Otherwise those who have influence will hijack the efforts to bring change... and then do the same things as what is happening today... Sadly it is a common observation, however people miss the obvious, that almost all political parties are devoid of a plan for implementation once they have power... They all function on cheap hollow slogans that we have been hearing for decades... e.g Roti Kapra Makan of people's party and Pathano Kay Haqooq of awami national party... so know the plan in detail my friends...

3. Be aware of your enemies and hypocrites... They wont let you gain an upper hand by sorting out the corruption that infests our government... If we establish anything that presents a danger to their interests, they will do their utmost to stop it...

Perhaps we should all consider the possibility that there is a better system than both democracy and dictatorship... :)

Don't get me wrong dear. But my point is not to suggest whether you should go for democracy or dictatorship. That's for you to decide not me.

What my point is, you would do well to settle into one form of governance. cmon yaar, it's been 63 years now and you are still oscillating between democracy and dictatorship. All I'm saying is, just decide on a form of governance and stick to it for at least a few decades. This oscillation between different political systems is not doing you any good.

All that is fine if the leader (dictator, general whatever) is benevolent and efficient. If he turns out to be a psycopath like Idi Amin or a warmongering mass murderer like Hitler, god save your country.

And apart from the fact that you have no means of predicting what type of leader you'll get, how do you know if that leader will actually step down in some time like you're hoping?

OK, so Musharraff was good. Cool. What about the previous dictators and rulers that Pakistan has had? And how do you know what kind of guy you'll get? Once someone starts ruling with an iron hand, if he turns out to be bad, there is nothing you will be able to do. If you try, you will be tortured and jailed.

Careful what you wish for. This is the reason I feel that democracy needs more time to mature in Pakistan.

i dont understand pakistanis.when the are under dictator they fight for democracy and when democracy comes they pray for return to dictatorship.The truth is after 63 years pakistanis are not still sure about what sort of governance they want.

we want a democracy for the people (health, education, welfare, justice for all), of the people (not these waderas and fuedals), by the people (just maybe the people now realise their folly, and not vote for these carpetbeggars)

we want a democracy for the people (health, education, welfare, justice for all), of the people (not these waderas and fuedals), by the people (just maybe the people now realise their folly, and not vote for these carpetbeggars)

I hope you do understand that all these virtues of democracy are achieved only after a substantial period of time.

After all, democracy always starts as an imperfect system and gradually moves towards perfection. But what is necessary is that the people keep their faith in the system and not get impatient.

My problem with Democracy is more ideological... I cannot for the love of God accept that my representative can sit in a parliament and decide for me what is allowed and what is prohibited... I accept that democracy allows representation thru election, decision making thru consultation and accountability but where i totally disagree with democracy is the legislative element... The rights and wrongs for us have been decided by the law giver i.e God... We simply cannot sit and decide on whether an interest based economy should be allowed or not... that has already been decided and in a democracy people get the right to over rule the decisions that God has made for mankind...

Although I should add to this while I m editing my comment here that for the people of Pakistan democracy has brought a lot of disasters... and thus the antagonism towards the idea you see on the forum is pragmatic...

So it means that people of Pakistan are incompetent to run their country successfully?

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Just like in your Britain...
Queen's rule?

Nahee Yaar... Britain is an ancient democracy... The Queen is merely a symbolic figure and participates little in direct governance...

So it means that people of Pakistan are incompetent to run their country successfully?

---------- Post added at 02:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:41 PM ----------

Just like in your Britain...
Queen's rule?

Read trough my other posts.

and the queen doesn't rule us :rofl::rofl: just so you know Britain is a democracy

Read trough my other posts.

and the queen doesn't rule us :rofl::rofl: just so you know Britain is a democracy

all I mean to say that do you want absolute king-queen system?Monarch??

Like someone called Emperor of Pakistan ??

To answer your question directly... No we dont want to make Pakistan another Saudi Arabia... or hereditary rulers...

The ruler should however have all the executive powers...

no-one wants that, but we already have a democratic king!

Democracy without a free /impartial and authoritative election comission is as sham as 'NRO Democracy' like ours . Everybody knows majority of MP's in national assembly have feudal /business backgrounds where their subjects are packed in the buses on election day and taken to polling stations , development projects are announced by government a few days prior to election day to 'gather public support' in the area , polling stations are forcefully taken over by armed men to stuff votes in the ballot boxes albeit for few hours , This all is in addition to the inefficiencies of the election commission itself . Our PM is famous for forcefully stuffing his constituents into national instiututions under the pretext of 'providing jobs' what he 'gives a feck about' is that the institution is doomed from that day onward ultimatly hurting the tax payer like us.

I hope you do understand that all these virtues of democracy are achieved only after a substantial period of time.

After all, democracy always starts as an imperfect system and gradually moves towards perfection. But what is necessary is that the people keep their faith in the system and not get impatient.

there is no sustainability of the system - even when we had ppp-pml-ppp-pml govts after zia, each govt 'destroyed' what the other had started - these politicians are there to perpetuate their rule, and couldnt care abt 'good governance.' we dont have a labor policy, education policy, trade policy - we have a policy of 'corruption'.

i dont support mil-rule but the 'best economic years' the country's had has been under mil rule.

and without a strong economic agenda, everything else is a moot point.

Can only be said that modern society is rare if there is a dictator, too much external pressure, the situation in China is an authoritarian group, in addition to internal self-monitoring, and open the media and public supervision to limit officials to the abuse of rights, but far from enough, need more time. Pakistan's problem is that you need a strong central government, the other only is the form.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom