What's new

Does India deserve permanent membership in the United Nation Security Council?

Alex, here is a fact - those that need to lobby to get in, will not get in. Those who can afford to walk away will be invited in.

Recall what happened when India got the NSG exemption. On more than one occasion, India threatened to just walk away. Ultimately the exemption was given on India's terms.

their is a difference NSG was all about business,for US and even for many other members,everyone was gaining something due to a waiver to India,but UNSC is more about dilution of power.and adding one more claimant of world peace,more specifically speaking one more irritant infront of personal business

their is a difference NSG was all about business,for US and even for many other members,everyone was gaining something due to a waiver to India,but UNSC is more about dilution of power.and adding one more claimant of world peace,more specifically speaking one more irritant infront of personal business

Well, NSG is about nuclear trade, which has strategic implications.

When a nation has real power, it can afford to walk away from the UNSC (as the US has done on a few occasions). That is point when other UNSC members will find it advantageous to get it on board.

Last edited:
India is going to be the outsourced America mouth piece of the eastern world. A role China & Russia has vehemently refused to play and instead uses their resources to seek out its own venues. If one analyze the world geo-politics the American imperial design has representative agents everywhere except. Americans want a third player in largely inaccessible which is heavily pro-American so they can convince for digging and drilling of minerals from South and Central Asia. And India seems to do this job well!
look who is saying.........

really u get 2 billion aid this year from america this year.
it is said in india:-
indian government run on revenue
and pakistan government on aid right na,

Making India the part of UNSC Would be as Criminal as Appointing a Serial Murderer and a Rober the top Policeman, i.e, India's Shameful & Brutal Occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and It's denial to Implement the UN Resolutions on Kashmir from last half a century. Moreover India's Criminal treatment to it's minorities. Shame on the very Idea and on them who are supporting it.

^^^
I feel so sorry for you, buddy as nobody listens to you. I have my full sympathies with you. Take my advise, write a letter to UN office immediately before it get very late..

Making India the part of UNSC Would be as Criminal as Appointing a Serial Murderer and a Rober the top Policeman, i.e, India's Shameful & Brutal Occupation of Jammu and Kashmir and It's denial to Implement the UN Resolutions on Kashmir from last half a century. Moreover India's Criminal treatment to it's minorities. Shame on the very Idea and on them who are supporting it.

Getting a certificate of being a Serial murderer and Robber from pakistan is hardly credible too....!!

FOR ME UNITED NATION OR ITS SECURITY COUNCIL HAS NO MEANING WHAT SO EVER.

I THINK MUSLIM NATIONS MUST ABONDON THIS UN THING FOR THERE OWN GOOD.

THEY SHOULD MAKE THERE OWN MAJLIS AND SOUGHT THINGS OUT.

YOU MAY CALL ME UNREALISTIC OR DREAMER, BUT IT WAS A DREAM THAT PAKISTAN GOT CREATED FROM IN THE FIRST PLACE.

UNITED NATION IS A FARCE :tdown:

Yes, that result is what everyone is happy to see, but I am lack of confidence of which they can make a great progress during this meeting. I hope I am wrong.

See we should not have huge expectations from this dialogue.US and Russia for us Indians is different.

With China a step, even a small one in the right direction will put us on a fast track.After all there has to be something about our pace,we are not the two fastest developing economies of the world for nothing.What say u mate?;)

when zardari can be president of pakistan why cant india be in unsc. start cleansing from home. impeach zaardari first.... then talk about others.

FOR ME UNITED NATION OR ITS SECURITY COUNCIL HAS NO MEANING WHAT SO EVER.
I THINK MUSLIM NATIONS MUST ABONDON THIS UN THING FOR THERE OWN GOOD.
THEY SHOULD MAKE THERE OWN MAJLIS AND SOUGHT THINGS OUT.
YOU MAY CALL ME UNREALISTIC OR DREAMER, BUT IT WAS A DREAM THAT PAKISTAN GOT CREATED FROM IN THE FIRST PLACE.
UNITED NATION IS A FARCE :tdown:

Ab kya angoor khatte lagne lagey?

p.s. don't write in all caps.

I am hesitant to provide my objective analysis of India, because of the Indian nationalists that will become angry at me. However, this is an interesting look and it may be useful for those that are willing to see with clear eyes.

India (potential candidate for UNSC permanent membership):

Economic strength: $1.2 trillion (11th in the world; less than 1/10 the size of the U.S.; and 1/4 the size of China)

Political strength: U.S. can count on European, Japanese, Australian, and South Korean solidarity. China can count on African, mostly ASEAN, some Latin American (e.g. Venezuela, Cuba, etc.), and some Middle Eastern support (e.g. Iran). China is an unofficial leader of G-77.

Not sure where Indian international political base is located. India looks like a supporting member of U.S. international political positions. Distinctive Indian views on important international issues are rare. This implies a serious question of international leadership potential.

Geographic: India is 1/3 the size of the United States or China. Russia is largest. France and Britain can be thought to collectively represent Europe.

On this criterion, India barely qualifies. Europe is a minnow geographically and India may meet the European standard. However, it is difficult for the United States, China, and Russia to see India as an equal.

Technological: United States is the leader. China has pockets of world leadership in technology (e.g. world's fastest high-speed rail system, world's fastest supercomputer, world's largest manufacturer and exporter of high-tech equipment, etc.). Overall European technology is generally considered as a runner-up to the United States. Russia has a declining industrial base, but they can still manufacture heavy industrial equipment; they may not be world-class, but it's good enough for now.

India has a solid software industry. However, India mostly imports all of its heavy industrial equipment. I have a post on the major contractors of the Delhi Metro. Most of them are foreign. In any case, most people do not consider today's India to be a technological or industrial power.

Military power: All P-5 members have had thermonuclear weapons for decades. India is stuck at the atomic weapon level. Furthermore, due to lack of indigenous manufacturing capability, India imports many advanced conventional weapons. For example, the Arjun tank contains 60% foreign content by value.

I will now rate India's CURRENT suitability for UNSC permanent membership as weak, average, or strong on the above-listed criteria:

Economic strength (relative to other UNSC members): weak

Political strength: weak

Geographic strength: weak

Technological strength: weak

Military power: average

Overall rating: weak

Conclusion: I am sorry to disappoint you, but my objective analysis indicates that India is unlikely to pry open the door anytime soon to the United Nations Security Council permanent membership with veto power.

Martian,I will agree with you on The bolded part but you compared India with the current UNSC members not aspirants.
Trust me we Indians know what you said and are working hard on it.The seat is atleast a decade down the line an we know we will get it.

We ahve the will,direction ,potential and most important of them all constructive critics like you.:usflag:

Also if you compare India with the aspirants for the permanent seat the comparision changes dramatically and even more if you think the same in 2017-18

Back
Top Bottom