What's new

Does India deserve permanent membership in the United Nation Security Council?

India may get permanent seat in UNSC soon.....

India might make it to the United Nations Security Council as a permanent member sooner than expected as the overarching reforms of the world body will most likely be wrapped up by the end of 2011. "It is around the corner," said an Indian diplomat of the reform process on Friday. He added he was

optimistic the negotiations will be over in the next six months and the whole process will be "wrapped up by the end of 2011".

India is a frontrunner for a permanent seat, and the last endorsement came from US president Barack Obama, just a year after the state department called it - in a leaked document - one of the "self appointed" frontrunners. India is sure to make it whenever the reforms process is over, and is preparing to use its presence on the council starting January as an elected temporary member to give the elite five the comfort factor they need working with India.

The UNSC expansion is going to happen as part of a larger reform to give the world body a contemporary character and vision, taking it away from its World War II origins - essentially giving developing counties a larger say.

"We are expecting an even shorter text - of two or three pages - to be submitted by January," the diplomat said, adding, "it should not take more than six months after that to finish the negotiations and then wrap it by 2011 end."

India has the support of four of the five members of the Security Council - the US, UK, France and Russia. China is the only holdout and the hope in the Indian camp is that "it may not like to be only one standing out". China has not yet spoken its mind openly.

Indian Members: Yes, She does
Pakistani Members: No, She doesn't
Chinese Members: No, She doesn't
Russian Members: Yes, She does
Foreign Members: Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No

You people are saying US has violated human rights in Guantanamo. First undo US from UNSC, if human rights is the core issue. Then bring such articles.

I am so glad you, you a pathetic schmuck got banned.

I thank the original poster if it puts India in its perspective place.

Population is one thing but then so is backbone.

I am so glad you, you a pathetic schmuck got banned.

thats sadistic CardSharp.

As far as the UN seat is concerned it all depends on how we play our cards. One wrong card and things will be gone. There are 10 reasons for the countries which are already permanent members about why they dont deserve it. Staring from china and ending with US.

thats sadistic CardSharp.

As far as the UN seat is concerned it all depends on how we play our cards. One wrong card and things will be gone. There are 10 reasons for the countries which are already permanent members about why they dont deserve it. Staring from china and ending with US.

Well can't say I'm sorry if you check his post history. I am sorry you are offended.

Nothing like I am offended it was something unexpected....:china:

It's usually nothing out of the ordinary but him....
1465.gif

There is a tug of war between the world's most-powerful and second-most powerful countries.

If India takes the side of the U.S. (which is the predominant current situation), China will vote "no" on India's application.

If India takes the side of China, the United States will vote "no."

In other words, the United States and China are competitors and they will not allow the other side to recruit a friend into the UNSC.

My objective and dispassionate analysis is that India will not become an UNSC permanent member, unless it is coupled with a China-friendly applicant. The deal is that the U.S. gets one ally vote and China gets a balancing vote.

Therefore, since Pakistan is one of the ten most-populous countries in the world, I am predicting that India will become an UNSC permanent member when Pakistan becomes one as well. This is realpolitik.

^^^ Pakistan could just ask China to veto it. :tup:

Good to know China operates on directions by Pakistan.But This is just your Statement.
China has an independent foriegn policy and the leaders understand the dynamics better than you.

We will see what happens.:smokin:

P.S.-I have read your posts and have utmost respect for your reasoning skills,the last one is out of your league.

Last edited:
Good to know China operates on directions by Pakistan.But This is just your Statement.
China has an independent foriegn policy and the leaders understand the dynamics better than you.

We will see what happens.:smokin:

P.S.-I have read your posts and have utmost respect for your reasoning skills,the last one is out of your league.

Well maybe you could explain to me, how China itself could benefit from India becoming a "permanent veto-wielding member" of the security council?

China and India are rivals remember? Why would China give out something like that for nothing in return.

Back
Top Bottom