What's new

Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family

Women Challenging & saying anything against the great saviors of humanity & God's people, is HARAM & women doing that deserve execution

because women have a smaller brain then men & these Mullahs have bigger brain then rest of the man kind,

Heil Mullahs, I must go to hell

:what:
Either you are kidding or you have some serious misunderstanding (or perhaps some bad example). You have right to question. But be logical and not emotional.

PS. your last few posts made me wonder if EmO GiRl is acctually short of Emotional Girl. lolz

Either you are kidding or you have some serious misunderstanding (or perhaps some bad example). You have right to question. But be logical and not emotional.

PS. your last few posts made me wonder if EmO GiRl is acctually short of Emotional Girl. lolz

She is very touchy when it comes to religion yaar. Usually i see she is very calm but when it comes to religious threads, she suddenly becomes like an atom bomb awaiting to be exploded

Ignore her emotional sentiments

The Hindu : News / National : "No fatwa against working women"

Darul Uloom Deoband, India's foremost Islamic seminary, on Wednesday denied it had asked Muslim women not to work along with men and said it only suggested that working women should dress “properly.”

“We had only given an opinion based on Sharia that women need to be properly covered in government and private offices,” said Maulana Adnan Munshi, spokesman for the seminary in Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh.

He denied a media report that the seminary was opposed to men and women working together.

“No new fatwa was issued,” Maulana Munshi told IANS on telephone, adding that even the opinion on dress code was given when a Muslim woman desired to know if women could go to work without a ‘purdah' or veil.

“That too is one-and-a-half months old,” he said.

The Deoband institution also denied having issued a ‘fatwa' whereby a husband's dependence on his wife's earnings was declared illegal.

“We have not issued any such ‘fatwa' declaring a woman's financial support to the family as illegal. I fail to understand how such a news was flashed across a section of the media,” Mufti Mohammad Shakeel of the ‘Fatwa' department told IANS over telephone from Deoband.

According to him, the only case where the income of the lady of the house could be treated as ‘haram' or illegal was when the means of her earnings were unlawful.

He stressed that neither had such a fatwa been issued in the past, nor was there any scope for such a ‘fatwa' to be issued in future as it was against the basic spirit of Islam, which believed in equality between man and wife.

“I would not be surprised if someone was misusing the name of this esteemed Deoband institution to paint a distorted picture of the Shariat by projecting such a view,” Mufti Shakeel said.

Maulana Khalid Rasheed, Naib Imam of Lucknow's Idgah who also heads the city's oldest seminary Firangi Mahal, said Islam did not discriminate between men and women.

“There was no question of the tenets of Islam dismissing a women's earnings through legitimate means as illegal. A woman has as much right to contribute financially towards running a family household as her husband,” he said.

But the media report claiming that the Deoband seminary had issued a “fatwa” against working women has led to sharp reactions from leaders and scholars from the Muslim community.

Darul Uloom Deoband, India's foremost Islamic seminary, on Wednesday denied it had asked Muslim women not to work along with men and said it only suggested that working women should dress “properly.”

This Indian media sucks everytime :angry:

They keep spreading rumours and we peoples fighting against each other :flame:

f*** them.............. ban INDIAN Media from this site :angry:

Enough is enough

Well i guess this hyper emotional bollywood saga like thread can come back to real life after the Darul Ullum Deoband cleared the air about the Fatwa in question. Most of the posters here argued very well and supported their arguments with Hadiths and verses of Quran and others stick to common sense while some let emotions run wild. Adding up all these efforts results in a very unfortunate waste of time of the posters and the observers. A neutral person would find people on this thread utterly confused, impressionable and emotional. In islam when ever a sensitive issue is discussed or debated the AUTHENTICITY of the report/news or the authenticity of the person or the witness has to be established before any further progress is made or else we will come up with futile discussions like the one here.

A racist joke commonly told about the jews : toss a coin between two jews and watch them fight till death over it, replace the coin with a fatwa and the same will do for us muslims. We fought so ferociously over a non-existent issue not hard to see what has gone wrong with us as a nation/Ummah.

Anything that can oppress the Muslims was used by British including divide and rule. This school fits right in there for British why in hell would they do anything to it when it's doing their job.
Obviously you are clueless about the history of Dar ul Uloom; you do not even know that the founders of the Dar ul Uloom had taken part in the so-called mutiny of 1857. Maulana Muhammad Qasim Nanotvi, who joined the madrasa few years after its establishment, was very active during the war of 1857, and for a period of time even established his own government in the area. On the suppression of the revolt by the British, Maulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi, one of the Maulana's companions, had to spend several months in jail, while their spiritual teacher Haji Imdad Ullah (Mahajir Makki) had to seek refuge in Mecca.

Another School that received full patronage of the British was the Ali Garh Muslim College (later University). Ali Garh produced a number of renowned freedom fighters including Maulana Muhammad Ali Jauhar, Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, Khawaja Nazimuddin etc. Since Ali Garh also received full patronage of the British, was it also working on the division of Indian Muslims on the behest of their British patrons?

HairaaN hooN dil ko ro'ooN key peetooN jigar ko maiN
Maqdoor hooN to saath rakhooN nauhaa-gar ko maiN

God has given us the Quran to follow, not some maulana buffoon. You don't have to become a 'maulana' to know what's good for you. The Quran explains everything clearly.
Indeed Allah has given you Quran but did you read it? And if you have read it,did you understand it? 'Maulana Buffoon', is this what you have learned from Quran? To use sub-standard and slanderous language, this is what Quran has taught you? You do not even have manners of taking part in a discussion and you are talking about Quran? Even when the Muslims where facing worst kind of persecutions in the hands on Quresh of Mecca, Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and his companions never used substandard language against their arch enemies and you are claiming to know Quran? First learn some etiquettes of taking part in a discussion, than come back and tell me what Allah has given us and what not, maybe I'll take you more seriously.

Naaz hai taaqat-e-guftaar pey insaanoN ko,
Baat karney ka saliqa nahiN nadaanoN ko!

Last edited:

I am just explaining you the 'logic' of Mullahs, i didnt said anything wrong on the illogical logic of Mullahs

^^^^

I suggest a anti fatwa against deobandi.........:smokin:

They are mere interpretors of what is written in your religious books.

Maybe solution lies in re-evaluating the practicality of those medivial thinkings inscribed in the book. Islam needs to be introspected and redesigned according to changing times.

Else there are enough freaks like the Taliban and mulla community who would rather be happy to push their community back 1400 years rather than accepting changes and reality.

I was once changing channels and came across a bearded mulla on Qtv or somethng like that where he was preaching that beating wife is halal for husband. Only thing he needs to ensure is that he doesent beats her in face otherwise it will be haram. I had a very very good laugh.

The wife of Prophet Mohammad S.A.W was a Business women.

Perhaps some molvi lost his job because of a qualified women so he issued a fatwa.

Indeed Allah has given you Quran but did you read it? And if you have read it,did you understand it? 'Maulana Buffoon', is this what you have learned from Quran? To use sub-standard and slanderous language, this is what Quran has taught you? You do not even have manners of taking part in a discussion and you are talking about Quran? Even when the Muslims where facing worst kind of persecutions in the hands on Quresh of Mecca, Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) and his companions never used substandard language against their arch enemies and you are claiming to know Quran? First learn some etiquettes of taking part in a discussion, than come back and tell me what Allah has given us and what not, maybe I'll take you more seriously.

Naaz hai taaqat-e-guftaar pey insaanoN ko,
Baat karney ka saliqa nahiN nadaanoN ko!

Wow ...A buffoon means someone who's a clown. And any person who comes up with ridiculous stuff like "It's illegal for women to work, support family" is a clown in any language.

The Quran should be the sole source of guidance in a muslim's life. Read my post again, i've clearly mentioned that you can choose to follow a maulana if he his saying something logical or reasonable.

Next time, try not to be so condescending.

Some people still don't seem to get it that there was no fatwa saying it is illegal for women to work. Get your info right and then pass judgements.
--------------
Everybody loves a bad fatwa | TwoCircles.net

By Kashif-ul-Huda, TwoCircles.net

Everybody loves a bad fatwa. And why not? It fills column space for newpapers; It brings in viewers for Television channels; it plays into the image of Muslims as a backward community for communalists; and it gives activists a chance to reinforce their secular credentials. Never mind that this fatwa will not change the lives of millions of Muslims and text of the fatwa could be not what has been reported or maybe the said fatwa doesn't even exist.

Fatwa is nothing but a religious opinion from a religious scholar to a question asked by a Muslim on a particular situation that he or she may be facing at the time or might face in future and doesn't know what should be an appropriate way to act in light of Islamic teachings. A mufti then issues a fatwa or opinion based on his understanding of the question and Islam. Just as different medical doctors will have a difference of opinion regarding a diagnosis and treatment plan, it is common for different muftis to give different opinion for the same question.

Media circus

At least once every year, on a slow news day, some enterprising journalist finds a fatwa that will fit the stereotype about Muslims being backward or Muslim scholars being ignorant or out of touch with the real world or all of the above reasons, and will publish a news story based on this 'prized' fatwa. Let's take the example of the fatwa issued by Darul Uloom Deoband that is making the round in news cycles this week.

The fatwa in question was issued more than a month ago and one can ask the question, why is there a sudden interest by the media in this particular fatwa? A fatwa that is only a sentence long has had numerous newspaper column space and hours of airtime devoted to it. The media bosses have decided that it is an important fatwa because it has all the right keywords to keep the attention of readers & viewers, and therefore will keep a flow of revenue coming in.

One has to question the motive of the major media regarding the publicizing of a fatwa. There is more to this than meets the eye when the Indian media that is obsessed with breaking news and exclusives these days picks up a fatwa that was issued more than a month ago. Within 24 hours of this news being flashed on NDTV on May 11th, 2010, all major media networks of India had reported it. And every new report had added information that was not even there. Let's look at the fatwa first.

Question number 21031 ((Fatwa ID: 21031 - Darul Ifta) to Darul Ifta (house of fatwas) of Darul Uloom Deoband asked by someone in India states: “Asalamu-Alikum: Can muslim women in india do Govt. or Pvt. Jobs? Shall their salary be Halal or Haram or Prohibited?” Answer published on April 4th, 2010 simply answers it as: “It is unlawful for Muslim women to do job in government or private institutions where men and women work together and women have to talk with [to] men frankly and without veil.”

Headlines

Now let's look at some of the headlines of news reports about this fatwa:

Fatwa against working Muslim women: NDTV
Fatwa to working Muslim women: Don't talk to male colleagues: NDTV
Women's earnings haram, says Deoband: The Times of India [Print edition]
Deoband fatwa: It's illegal for women to work, support family: The Times of India [Online]
Don't talk to male colleagues: Darul Uloom's fatwa to all working women: DNA
Muslim women can't work: Deoband: Samay Live
Darul Uloom says Muslim women can't work in public: India Today
Now, fatwa against working women: Indian Express
Women Working with Men Un-Islamic: Deoband: Outlook
Fatwa against men-women proximity at workplace: Zee News

In case you ever wondered why there isn't a successful supermarket tabloid in India, here is your answer. There is no need for one because major media houses in India do that job very well.

Fatwa-checking

Now let's look at the fatwa again. It doesn't talk about a woman's earnings being haram or unlawful, Islamically speaking. It also not talking about whether women can work or not, rather it is a learned scholar giving his opinion that Islamically it will be unlawful for a Muslim women only if she is in a job that will require her to speak to men "frankly and without veil." I am not sure what mufti sahib meant with the "speaking frankly" phrase, but there is no ruling saying women cannot work or that their earning is haram. This did not stop media houses from publishing news report after news report with sensational headlines that had nothing to do the with the original fatwa.

A simple fact-checking, if Indian media had that system, would have clarified the matter and this fatwa would have remained a non-news. However, this was not to be. Why should anyone bother with minor annoyance when there are pages and airtime to be filled without impunity.

Television channels went a step further and dug up old fatwas dating back to 2005 and 2006 to run on the screens when they were talking about this issue. It is anyone's guess what issues those fatwas displayed on-screen would have dealt with. We can't blame readers and viewers when they see a conspiracy in all this.

Tabassum Khan who is an Assistant Professor of Media and Cultural Studies at the University of California, Riverside argues that the media jumps on these issues because "It further tatters the already tarnished image of the Muslims." And when there is not enough facts to go around they simply add fiction to make it sound more interesting.

Fatwas, good or bad, have only limited public appeal and influence. Sadia Khanam, a journalist with The Eastern Post in Kolkata, says, "I don't encounter many situations where I need to seek the guidance of a fatwa." And maybe it will sound strange to journalists with a very low image of Muslim women, Khanam adds, "It depends on my personal understanding to decide which fatwa can be held correct and followed."

And Sadia is not alone in this, Tabassum Khan has done extensive research on the Muslim youth of New Delhi and she says that "The women paid little attention [to fatwas], but among the young men there were a few who gave importance to these fatwas. But they were isolated and few and far in between in numbers."

So, why are major media houses ready to give up prime space and time for a fatwa that the majority of Muslims pay little attention to? "Mainstream media has no stake in the image of Muslims. They are in the business of enforcing and perpetuating stereotypes. So, if a maulvi works to tatter the already tarnished image, they are the first to give him importance and project his view as the view of the entire community," explains Khan.

Measured response

Darul Uloom Deoband did the right thing by issuing a denial but the damage had already been done. So how should Muslims respond in situations like these? First of all, those who are activists, community leaders, and commentators, and first lines of contact for these journalists who are seeking them for opinions, need to pay more attention to the story. They need to realize that they don't need to respond to all media queries. If they do decide to respond, even if it is going to be along predictable lines, they need to see the source of the story. In this case, it would have been to see the original fatwa.

For half an hour, Shazia Ilmi, Sadia Dehlvi, and Kamal Farooqui debated on this topic on Sagarika Ghose's program "Face The Nation" on CNN-IBN on Wednesday. Strangely, none of them had actually even read the original fatwa. Based on other hearsay news reports, this only served the purpose of keeping untainted the image of Muslims as a monolith community out-of-touch-with-the-modern-world, and women who need to be rescued. Of course, interest of Muslim women is the least of the concerns of the Indian media who are competing for all-important ratings.

One thing is clear that Muslims have no say or control over the media's actions, but that doesn't mean that they have to be passive. Polite but firm emails should be sent to reporters and their editors. Muslim community organizations should send a letter on their official letter-heads to the editors and seek meetings with the editorial staff. In these meetings, examples of serious lapses by media when reporting on issues related to Muslims should be brought to their attention.

Media is not a one-way street and they don't exist in vacuum. In this day and age, readers and viewers have much more power than anyone would like to acknowledge. This power should be used to demand correct and factual coverage. At the same time Muslims need to take these kinds of episodes as opportunity to engage with their non-Muslim colleagues and friends to explain Islam and Muslim practices.

Muslim religious leadership is not above criticism but they need to be engaged to develop a new kind of thinking that takes what Islam has to offer and apply it to the modern world. Religious scholars need to offer solutions to the problems associated with modern life without dragging the whole community to a medieval view of the religion and the world. For this to happen both university-educated and madrasa-educated Muslims need to interact and engage each other.

As Prof. Tabassum Khan rightly states, "It is important for middle-class Muslims to become more vocal and not let uninformed and biased opinions be representative of the community."

Wow ...A buffoon means someone who's a clown. And any person who comes up with ridiculous stuff like "It's illegal for women to work, support family" is a clown in any language.
No such fatwa was ever issued and it has been amply cleared up. You are only trying to save your face by trying to bring a dead horse to life.

The Quran should be the sole source of guidance in a muslim's life. Read my post again, i've clearly mentioned that you can choose to follow a maulana if he his saying something logical or reasonable.
Quran and hadith, both are needed and if something is not clear in Quran and Hadith, than 'Ijtihaad' is needed which is done by those who have knowledge of Quran and Hadith. Where in Quran it is written how to say the prayers? how to make wazoo? how to perform Hajj? This was all revealed by the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH). It was never difficult for Allah to reveal the Quran on the hearts of the people and ask them to simply follow it, yet he sent his messenger(s) who could teach people. Quran is the message and Prophet Muhammed is its description, practical explanation. After Muhammed was passed away, this became the responsibility of his family members (ahl al Bait), and his companions and those how had gained the knowledge of Islam to explain the religion to those who were not aware of it. Allah himsef says in Quran:

"huwal-ladhiy ba’Atha fiyl um-miy-yiyna rasuulam minhum yatluu ‘Alayhim aayaatihii wa yuzak-kiyhim wa yu’Al-limuhumul kitaaba wal Hikmata wa in kaanuu min qablu lafiy Dalaalim mubiyn". Surah Al-Juma:2.

Translation: It is He Who has sent among the unlettered people a Noble Messenger from themselves, who recites His verses to them and purifies them, and bestows them the knowledge of the Book and wisdom; and indeed before this, they were in open error.

And Yusuf Ali translated it like this: It is He Who has sent amongst the Unlettered a messenger from among themselves, to rehearse to them His Signs, to sanctify them, and to instruct them in Scripture and Wisdom,- although they had been, before, in manifest error.

Allah said:

"WaateeAAoo Allaha waalrrasoola laAAallakum turhamoona". Surah Al e Imran:3.

Translation: And obey God and the messenger, maybe/perhaps you attain mercy.

And Yusuf Ali translated it like this: And obey Allah and the Messenger; that ye may obtain mercy.

Allah said:

"Wama kana limu/minin wala mu/minatin itha qada Allahu warasooluhu amran an yakoona lahumu alkhiyaratu min amrihim waman yaAAsi Allaha warasoolahu faqad dalla dalalan mubeenan" Surah Al-Ahzab:36.

Translation: And (it) was not to a believer (M) and nor a believer (F), if God and His messenger ordered/passed judgment an order/command/matter/affair that to be for them the choice from their matter/affair, and who disobeys God and His messenger, so he had misguided a clear/evident misguidance.

And Yusuf Ali translated it like this: It is not fitting for a Believer, man or woman, when a matter has been decided by Allah and His Messenger to have any option about their decision: if any one disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he is indeed on a clearly wrong Path.

Last edited:
Some people still don't seem to get it that there was no fatwa saying it is illegal for women to work. Get your info right and then pass judgements.
Problem is not whether fatwa was issued or not, the problem is certain people find pleasure in slinging mud on Islam and on those who know Islam and want to follow it yet they claim themselves to be 'Muslims'. These people themselves do not know Arabic, they have not read Quran with translation, they have never read any book of Hadith and Fiqah yet they think that they are smarter than those who have knowledge of Islam. Religion is something that most of us take for granted. We think if are born to Muslim parents, we have automatically gained the knowledge of Islam so no one should teach us anything about Islam, we already know every thing. We want to do whatever we like but when we find it is not allowed in Islam, we start to create reasons, finding loopholes, cursing the Haidth, and using abusive language against those who happen to have knowledge of Quran and Haidth.

Allama Iqbal said for such 'Muslims':

Waza meiN tum ho nasara to tamaddun meiN hunood
Yeh musalmaN heiN jinehiN dekh kar sharmaiN yahood

Women can work and its Legal , Even hazrat Khadija RA, the first wife of our Prophet (S.A.W) was a business women and Prophet (S.A.W) used to take Hazrat Ayesha Siddiqa to even battle feilds as per my knowledge.

And we being Muslims need a fatwa to tell us that its legal for women to work in Islam is a big shame, its common sense whats wrong with it. Islam is the religion of intelligence, only illiterates among us find reasons to think that its not good for women to go out work.

And i thing its more of our regional cultures that over shadow the teachings of Islam.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom