What's new

Degrees should not be a hurdle in eligibility: Gilani

Deviant

New Recruit

Reaction score
ISLAMABAD: Speaking on attending disgraced MNA Jamshed Dasti's election campaign, Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said on Thursday that he attended it while following his party manifesto.

While talking on the floor of the house, Gilani said that parliamentarians’ degrees should not be the hurdle in their eligibility and that the parliamentarians should collectively protect the Parliament as it is being maligned over the issue of fake degrees.

Addressing the National Assembly session, the prime minister said that there are several MNAs in the house who have fake degrees and their cases are pending. However, he said that parliament will have to respect the mandate until there is a final decision.

Gilani also spoke about his brother running for the seat that Dasti had held in Parliament. The prime minister said that he respected the parliamentary committee’s decision to not allow his brother to hold the seat. Gilani stressed that there is no dictatorship in the 18th Amendment.

Source: DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Degrees should not be a hurdle in eligibility: Gilani

If this mentality goes on board, what will happen to institutions and talents which people are trying to acquire.
Will Government recruit people on non-degree basis.
Fake qualified people managing country sections is one of the most important things to look in. Agree/disagree?

What else do you expect from those leading the country who should have been riding a donkey !

Spineless cowards !

well it's up to public and media now to pull up the reins and correct them..

I don't think this time these crap politicians will be able to contest elections having no moral ground. Hats off to free media and aware public. :tup:

i was very wrong abt this PM ...

Now my eyes are OPEN ...

GOD save us from this type of politicians ..

totally agree with PM,

The only qualification for politician should be "Lying", "breaking Promises", "having good understanding to fool common people" & should be same like our PM & President ie, no moral grounds

Is there any minimum educational qualification required for contesting an election in Pakistan?

totally agree with PM,

The only qualification for politician should be "Lying", "breaking Promises", "having good understanding to fool common people" & should be same like our PM & President ie, no moral grounds

Criminal record is also a major requirement. Atleast 10 cases should be pending against the aspiring politician.:yahoo:

HA !!

Protect supremacy of parliament: PM

ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani said in the National Assembly on Thursday that legislators should jointly protect the supremacy of parliament regardless of their political affiliations because the institution was being maligned on the issue of fake degrees.

He said he held the media in high esteem, but because of possible lack of information it had alleged that 80 per cent of parliamentarians possessed fake degrees.

The prime minister defended his recent visit to Muzaffargarh to address an election rally for PPP candidate Jamshed Dasti who resigned from the National Assembly after his degree was challenged in the Supreme Court. He also defended the announcement of development projects in the area.

The prime minister said he wielded the authority given by parliament which alone, and none else, could enhance or reduce it. “Being a member of this house I belong to you and you would not like me to become weak.”

Mr Gilani said he respected the judiciary and would implement its decisions. “PPP is not the only party which is being maligned in this campaign. Except for the MQM, all other parties, including the PML-N and PML-Q, are being criticised for the same reason,” he added.

Graduation, he said, was not a qualification for contesting polls in any civilised or democratic country. It was introduced by Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf only to keep some of his sworn opponents like Nawabzada Nasrullah Khan out of assemblies.

The prime minister said that a large number of cases had been registered against holders of fake degrees after the 2002 election, but they were still pending in courts.

He said that in future political parties should not give tickets to people who were holding fake degrees. “The parliamentary board has decided not to award party ticket to any Nawabzada, Makhdoomzada or Syedzada; it decided to field a party worker.”

Mr Gilani said he had good relations with the opposition, especially with the PML-N whose candidate was contesting against his brother in a by-election. He welcomed it as part of the democratic process.

“My job is to meet people. My job is to meet tenants and farmers and if I fail to do my duty, who else would do it for me,” he asked.

Mr Gilani said it was true that the 18th Amendment had empowered the prime minister and it was up to parliamentarians to decide whether to maintain these powers or withdraw them. “I am answerable to parliament.”

Mr.Zardhari's own degree is said to be fake.

Last edited:
well the scene is not very pretty in our side also...we also have a number of illiterate MPs...

Well. U cant hv a match with our politicians. .many r corrupt and criminal background.

Well. U cant hv a match with our politicians. .many r corrupt and criminal background.

And yet still Indian democracy manages to deliver better than a military dictatorship would have in India.

By the way, I agree with the Pakistani PM on this one. What can prevent someone with a good conscience, sound judgement, and flexible attitude to 'do good' for his/her constituents who elect him? Does Abdul Sattar Edhi have a degree?

Requiring a degree is taking 'meritocracy' to an extreme; I doubt there are many democracies in this world with such criteria. People here confuse 'education' with sound-judgement: They do tend to go together but not always. The fascists of MQM are a good example of that.

@Meengla

you'r right in some aspects. But, its not the question of being literate or having degree. it's question of presenting FAKE degrees to Parliamentary organization.

Education should never be an basic level for getting entry in Services. but, presenting Fake degrees is other thing.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom