What's new

Defence Minister Antony says Arjun Mk II will cost Rs 37 crore per tank

aanshu001

Reaction score
Answering a question in parliament today, Defence Minister AK Antony put the price of the Arjun Mk II at Rs 37 crore per tank. The Arjun Mk I had been produced by Heavy Vehicles Factory, Avadi for about Rs 16-18 crore per tank.
The official release about Antony’s answer in parliament today to a question on the price of the Arjun is attached below
MARK-II VERSION OF ARJUN TANK

New Delhi: Bhadrapada 07, 1933
August 29, 2011
Limited technical trials with some major and minor improvements on Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun Mark-I, as part of MBT Arjun Mark-II, have been carried out by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in the deserts of Rajasthan.
Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) has cleared the proposal for placement of indent for 124 Nos. of MBT Arjun Mark-II on Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF), Avadi, Chennai. Placement of indent by the Army on Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) is being further processed.
The likely estimated cost of each MBT Arjun Mark-II with ail major/minor improvements will be approximately Rs.37 crore.
The first batch of MBT Arjun Mark-II is likely to be productionised by 2015.
This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri Naveen Jindal in Lok Sabha today.

link: Defence Minister Antony says Arjun Mk II will cost Rs 37 crore (US $8 million) per tank | idrw.org

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2Ajo8D-wK8t74E-0cOJ4vmdxindGfsQhdnvJK6QtCT_dky4g-

not sure if it is Arjun MK - II

Is it includes all the 93 upgrades or only some of them.

A bit steep isnt it??? we can buy 2.5 t 90Ms with this much ( cost of t 90M was around 15 crore per piece)

A bit steep isnt it??? we can buy 2.5 t 90Ms with this much ( cost of t 90M was around 15 crore per piece)

Yeah, it definetly sounds expensivee with 2.5 T-90Ms per Arjun Mk2 Tank. How good is this tank seriously compared to the Abrams, and the T-90s? Can anyone tell me how much is 37 Crores in dollars? Thanks.

Do we really need a tank with so much capabilities? Im sure if it were "toned down", the cost would correspondingly depreciate.

isn't it expensive?
may be its fully loaded including ammo , maintenence equipment etc.

Thats overpriced, and rediculous.

Order of 124 is a small number when compared to the number of T90's manufactured till now. Mass production will definitely bring the price down.

And, It is Made in India. So, we do not have to worry about the spare parts supply and future upgrades. We can do all those things on our own. And, this will be the base for out future battle tank development projects.

hmmm...a reporting/perception error may be??? A homegrown technology cannot be 2.5 times an exported technology unless and until there is a significant improvement...

Order of 124 is a small number when compared to the number of T90's manufactured till now. Mass production will definitely bring the price down.

And, It is Made in India. So, we do not have to worry about the spare parts supply and future upgrades. We can do all those things on our own. And, this will be the base for out future battle tank development projects.

That does not negate the fact that this tank is coming out to be 2.5 times T-90...One of the reason for going local is to reduce the cost and of-course enjoy the benefits of self-sufficiency...No doubt mass-production will bring the cost down but to what extent??? Secondly labour cost in India is much lower as compared to ruskies...so unless this value has been reported out of context i think it will be called ridiculous...

Now if this Arjun tank can single handedly take 2 T-90's i have no problem with the cost...but can it???

That does not negate the fact that this tank is coming out to be 2.5 times T-90...One of the reason for going local is to reduce the cost and of-course enjoy the benefits of self-sufficiency...No doubt mass-production will bring the cost down but to what extent??? Secondly labour cost in India is much lower as compared to ruskies...so unless this value has been reported out of context i think it will be called ridiculous...

Now if this Arjun tank can single handedly take 2 T-90's i have no problem with the cost...but can it???

Hm, the only good thing i see is that the money will be regulating in India's economy. It wont be going to a foreign economy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom