What's new

Defence budget only 18pc not 70pc: Kayani

Saifullah Sani

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ISLAMABAD: Chief of the Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, Monday said that the allocation for defence budget was only 18 percent and not 70 percent as believed by many, Geo News reported.

According to a statement issued by ISPR, Gen Kayani said that even out of that paltry 18 percent only 8-9 percent of funds trickled down to the sentinels of the country, which was a matter of serious concern.
Defence budget only 18pc not 70pc: Kayani

18% of total GDP?

i thought it is 2.9%..making it 6.4bn USD

18% of total GDP?

No it is 18% of budgetary allocation (Tax + non-Tax revenue) but it is 50% of total tax mop up.

But Kayani Ji is not telling about 'others' account of information ministry which have thousands of carore allocated for virtually nothing every year.
Estimates of Defence ministry of Pakistan is not true reflection of Pakistan defence expenditure.

What about the pensions ? PA put that in Civilian account..isn't it ?
ya this is true even i have heard this in some pakistani media.... well our pakistani friends can give more details on it.

Pakistan's Total Budget outlay for 2010-2011 was 3259 Billion i.e. ~$36 Billion.
Army expenditure for the year = 442 Billion i.e. $4.9 Billion.
External Debt servicing = 394 Billion i.e. $4.38 Billion.

I don't see a case where army is taking 50% of the budget. For 2010-2011 it was 12.27% of budget.

I am not an economist. But it's simple math.

Pakistan's Total Budget outlay for 2010-2011 was 3259 Billion i.e. ~$36 Billion.
Army expenditure for the year = 442 Billion i.e. $4.9 Billion.
External Debt servicing = 394 Billion i.e. $4.38 Billion.

I don't see a case where army is taking 50% of the budget. For 2010-2011 it was 12.27% of budget.

I am not an economist. But it's simple math.

who told you this BS
where is the source?

18% of total GDP?

no mate GDP is not the budget.
Think of it as output.

military expenditure is not derived from GDP.
I think 2012's budget was something like $43 billion (correct me if I am wrong please)

wow 18% is way too much ...for such an economy ...Pakistan would do better to pledge its allegiance to a America and let them set up bases ...like SK and Japan.

I think 2012's budget was something like $43 billion (correct me if I am wrong please)

even with those numbers ...if Pakistan gdp is arnd 170Bil$

Then 43bil amounts to arnd 25% of gdp

why you people talk about GDP when we talk about budget ? Budget is different from GDP.
Pakistan annual budget is nearly 31-32 bn USD only.

It might be 18pc of budget only !!
If its 18 pc of GDP then IMF wont definitely help pakistan !!
For now pakistan must concentrate on economy !!!

Back
Top Bottom