What's new

Dassault Rafale, tender | News & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thnk IAF will not go for F-16. IAF oprates twin engine powerfull AC. so competetion will remain between MiG-35, F-18 n EF.
I cant ignore MiG-35 coz IAF is operating MiG series for a long time.

I thnk IAF will not go for F-16. IAF oprates twin engine powerfull AC. so competetion will remain between MiG-35, F-18 n EF.
But that doesn't mean they still are useful for us right? Compared to the other fighters and their capabilities the Mig is clearly inferior.

yup EF with wide range of weapon package especially METEOR & couple it with assistance EADS is ready to give for LCA Mk2 + EJ-200
is the probably the best option for IAF :cheers:

EF will certainly make InAf, the deadliest of the region.
But politically, if I were Indian I will vote for F-18.

How about gripen. It also looks cool with supercruise

Lockheed begins F-16 trials for Indian Air Force

Bangalore: US aerospace major Lockheed Martin on Monday began flying its three fighter F-16s in Bangalore for trials of the medium multi-role combat aircraft (MMRC).

The Indian Air Force (IAF) wants to buy these aircrafts to replace its ageing MiG-21 fleet.

"The field trials will be conducted in Bangalore, Jaisalmer and Leh till September 18 in different conditions. We had the training phase from September 3 to September 5 in preparation for the trials," Lockheed's international communications manager John Giese told IANS.

The trials near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan and Leh in Jammu and Kashmir next week will be to test the fighters in hot weather conditions and in high-altitude mountain ranges.

The three F-16s, which are in service with the United Arab Emirates (UAE) Air Force and stationed at Dubai air base, flew into Bangalore on September 2, with Lockheed test pilots, US Air Force pilots and a team of engineers and technicians, for the 12-day trials.

"The fighters landed two days behind schedule due to inclement weather and operational reasons. The training phase included familiarising the IAF's evaluation teams with the aircraft's capabilities and technologies, especially its latest electronic warfare and navigational aids," Giese said.

During the training phase, the fighters were stationed at the state-run Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) airport on the outskirts of the city.

Demonstration of the aircraft, ability of its various systems and the glass cockpit were held at the IAF's Aircraft Systems & Training Establishment (ASTE) complex, which is adjacent to the HAL airstrip.

"As part of the trial preparation, all the three F-16s took to skies twice a day on hour-long sorties despite cloudy weather and intermittent rains from September 3 to September 5. They flew mostly in south-westerly direction towards Mysore," a senior air traffic control (ATC) official told IANS on Sunday.

IAF's test pilots flew with Lockheed's test pilots in the tandem twin-seater for a firsthand 'feel' of the aircraft and its ability to manoeuvre for combat operations.

Though the advanced fourth generation F-16s participating in the trials are not 'Super Viper', they are closest to the new version the company will offer to the IAF if it wins the estimated $10 billion order for the 126 planes.

"The F-16IN Super Viper will be tailor-made to meet the requirements of the IAF and will be the ultimate fourth generation fighter," Giese claimed.

According to Michael R Griswold, Lockheed director, the F-16s, with fifth generation capabilities, will demonstrate to the IAF their striking power, speed, accuracy and its awesome 360-degree manoeuvres, with its sophisticated active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar.

The other five aircraft in the fray for the order are Boeing's F/A-181N Super Hornet, the Dassault Rafale, the Saab Gripen, the Russian MiG-35 and the European consortium EADS Eurofighter Typhoon.

As per the global tender floated last year, the winning bidder will have to deliver 18 aircrafts in fly-away condition, while the remaining 108 will be manufactured by HAL under a technology transfer deal.

The F-16 trials are taking place three weeks after Boeing flew in its two Super Hornets August 14 and conducted trials for about 10 days from August 17 in Bangalore, Jaisalmer and Leh.

"Initially, the IAF pilots will co-pilot the aircraft, taking controls mid-air after familiarising themselves with the systems and the advanced navigation aids. In the subsequent trials, the IAF pilots will take command of the aircraft for evaluating its various parameters, including the use of weapons," a Lockheed official said.

The IAF has formed twin teams of two test pilots each for the trials, which will be conducted in three stages: pilot familiarisation, field trials and weapons systems trials. The third stage will be conducted in the country of manufacture.

The technical evaluation was completed early this year after the six manufacturers responded to the IAF's Request for Proposal (RFP) in August 2007.

link: Lockheed begins F-16 trials for Indian Air Force

Actually the combination of MKI with any MMRCA will make IAF to one of the best in the region, because no other AF has so many so capable fighters.
Politically the US fighters are likely, but I still hope for a more independent, European choice.

Friend thats funny when u said 'if i were indian i will vote for F-18'. Would you like to tell me why? Anyway i knew the reason. Its because you are not indian lol. The fight is between rafael and typhoon. Cheers.

Friend why kept rafael out? So pakistan can pick them if india dont? Lol. Rafael front runner. i dont think india would go for mig-35. We buying 50 more sukhoi-30MKI plus Pak-fa too indo-russian. Mig-35 wont benefit india just like sukhoi-30MKI. russia didn't gave engine technology to us. What mig-35 will give? France ready to give us engines technology. So rafael front runner. Cheers.

Super Viper aircraft weapons testing in Rajasthan

Weapons testing of the F-16 IN Super Viper aircraft for the MMRCA (Medium Multi-Role Combat Aircraft) purchase trials of the IAF will be carried out in the deserts near Jaisalmer in Rajasthan.

Michael Griswold, director, advanced development programmes, Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company, revealed this to the TNS during an interview here. Orville Prins, Vice-President, business development for India, and Jack Giese, a senior Lockheed Martin (LM) manager, were also present. Officials of the American aeronautics giant, which is the largest supplier of hardware to the US air force, are here in connection with the evaluation by the IAF of the Super Viper, a fourth-generation fighter aircraft from the LM stable.

The IAF had earlier said weapon testing of the six shortlisted bidders would take place in the countries of their origins to avoid legal tangles and unavailability of the infrastructure necessary for carrying out the tests. It could not be immediately confirmed if the LM was the only bidder to have made arrangements for weapon testing in India. The Super Viper team will shift base to Rajasthan toward the end of this month. F/A-18E/F Super Hornet of the Boeing, the Russian MiG 35, the Swedish JAS 39 Gripen, the Eurofighter Typhoon (manufactured by an European consortium) and the French Rafale are the other competitors in the race.

On the presence of F-16 aircraft in the Pakistani air force, Griswold said the aircraft being offered to India had been “tailor made” for the IAF. “The IAF had specified what they were looking for and the aircraft is equipped to meet those requirements”, he said. He said a unique feature of Super Viper is the AESA (active electronically steered array) radar. The radar, apart from tracking enemy targets, will also help the pilot in carrying out low flying missions.

Test pilots of the IAF are now working on simulators at the Aircraft and System Training Establishment (ASTE) here to get familiarised with the Super Viper control system. This will be followed by actual flying of the aircraft by IAF pilots together with the LM test pilots. Three Super Vipers, having tandem seating arrangements, have been flown to Bangalore from UAE for this purpose. “The IAF pilot will sit in the front cockpit and our pilot will handle the rear control. Solo flying by IAF pilots of Super Vipers will take place in the US in early 2010”, Griswold said.

The IAF had earlier placed order with the Lockheed Martin for supplying six C-130J Super Hercules transport aircraft. These aircraft would be given to the IAF in 2011, the officials said. The MMRCA contract for supplying 126 fighter jets to the IAF is worth Rs 42,000 crore (US$ 10.5 billion). It is said to be the single largest defence deal ever in the history of IAF.

ASIAN DEFENCE: Super Viper aircraft weapons testing in Rajasthan

If the translation is correct it seems like Rafale got it's first export customer!

Sarkozy assiste a desfile militar em Brasília e assina acordo bilionário com governo brasileiro - O Globo

BRASILIA - Brazil will buy it from France Rafale fighters for the Brazilian Air Force (FAB).

A joint statement released by the two governments confirmed to be 36 combat aircraft. With the announcement, closing up the selection process done by the FAB, the program called FX-2. They lost the race the Swedish Gripen fighter and American F18. The decision was taken during a meeting of President Luiz Inacio da Silva with his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy at the presidential palace. The value of the purchase of 36 Rafale fighters was not disclosed, but the estimate was over £ 3.8 billion.

The note also states that France intends to acquire aircraft from Brazil, making the two countries' strategic partners also in the field of aviation. " "Sarkozy announced that Lula intends to acquire a dozen units of the future military transport aircraft, KC-390 (cargo aircraft to Brazil's Embraer to develop) and expressed the willingness of French industrialists to contribute to the development of the aircraft program," the statement said.

Sarkozy, who arrived in Brazil on Sunday evening, attended Monday to show the Seven September on the Esplanade of Ministries, in Brasilia, as guest of honor. Lula came to the parade in presidential Rolls Royce, accompanied by first lady, Mrs. Marisa, after reviewing the troops. Then the president went to the grandstand, located near the Ministry of Defense, for military ceremony. About 3.6 thousand people attended the parade.

French President came to Brazil to sign another agreement, worth 6.1 billion euros, which provides for the purchase of four submarines and a fleet of helicopters for FAB. It is also expected to transfer technology to the construction by the Navy's submarine nuclear-powered.

The military cooperation agreement between Brazil and France opened the ambitious program of modernization of the Armed Forces. By 2020, Brazil will have the largest and most powerful naval force in Latin America, equipped with submarines, frigates, light vessels, corvettes - an estimated volume of 35 units - as well as long-range missiles, torpedoes, airplanes and helicopters, advanced technology .

The military parade in Brasilia was not climate-only party. At the end of the parade, about 50 students from the University of Brasilia tried to reach the podium of the authorities with banners calling for the departure of Senate President José Sarney, but were restrained by police. At this time, Lula and Sarkozy had already left the site. The presence of Sarkozy part of the program of the French Year in Brazil.

Go Eurofighter
It looks brilliant with the su 30.

beed65e958f188bd7232a4c747f9257d.jpg

1709875d848d9d0495db48e55a9ba013.jpg

Rafale for Brazil!

It is officially confirmed now and I just saw the press conference related to the deal, where the brazilian president said that Rafale was choses, because Brazil wanted to have their fighters under their own control without beeing too dependent and the offer of France with much ToT enables that!
That is imo a very important point and says much about F18SH and Gripen NG who was the loser of that competition. Not because they were not capable enough, but because they were not independent enough, which should be a major requirement for India too!
We cannot just change the dependence from Russia to dependence on America and at least 126 fighter (possibly more and for commonality maybe even US engine in LCA) will be a big part of the fleet.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

BANGALORE: Lockheed Martin’s F-16 Super Viper IN which is one of the five aircraft competing to bag the $10 billion Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft (MMRCA) contract of the Indian Air Force, has completed phase I of field trials in Bangalore.

Lockheed Martin officials said that the phase I of field trials was over and the week-long training phase was in preparation for further field trials.

Phase II of field trials begins on September 7 and will last two weeks, added officials.

The Boeing F/A-18IN Super Hornet has already completed trails. EADS Eurofighter Typhoon, Russian MiG-35, Sweden’s Grippen and Dassault Aviation’s Rafale are the other contenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom