What's new

Chinese progress provokes aggression amongst Indians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, PPP is meaningful when evaluate the purchase power of a currency in buying very rudimentary living necessities. if you want live a well-off life, it doesn't make sense as it does with basic living necessities. One of friends who have been to india told me most things related to a quality life in india are more expensive than those in china

Quality of life? And what pray may come under this? Ownership of a car? A house? A cell phone? High speed internet? or a higher education? Once again, cheaper than in most countries.

Example, Doing an MBA from IIM (India's best business school) costs around Rs12.5 lakh for the PGPM. or to put it another way around 28 thousand US dollars. Do you know how much is it for Wharton Business school? 70,000 dollars. So don't talk about things you don't comprehend.

, the article is about perceptions in the north east specifically. India has a lot going for it but do the people in the north east see the benefits of economic growth?

Yes, we're going a bit off topic.

The north east has not seen the benefit of India's economic growth. The fact is, a majority of north east students come to Delhi/Mumbai/Kolkatta to study/work as the north east Indian states provides very few work opportunities. Today, i think tourism is the biggest revenue generator in the north east. Although i may be wrong about this. Things might be improving a little but we have a long way to go.

Mani Shankar Aiyar, a former senior diplomat and cabinet minister with responsibility for India's volatile north-east region,

He's responsible for the north east? In what way?

The topic of this thread is not India's achievements but the condition of ordinary people; the average citizen.

Mate I am an ordinary citizen in India.so called middle class..let me tell you about my life and living condition..My dad had to go to Saudi Arabia to support his family and lived most of the life there.Growing up in a village I only had two options .either go to a middle eastern country or get a govt job..But now I am woking in a VOIP firm in my state..I can easily send some handsome money to take care of my parents and also live my nonsense life of partying and boozing..its not only the story of me ..you can see many Indians as lucky as me..

And about my village , first TV came to the village was in 1988..I still remembers people standing in two sides of the road to look at that TV and the guy who came to fix the antenna was looked up on like he is a rocket scientist and he was defenitely acting like one..but by 2000 every family in my village has TV and some of them has a computer and a 2\3rd having vehicle ...is it a small step considering a village??This is not the story about my village also there are plenty of villages like this in India..yes offcource there are places where growth yet to be reached but it will soon reach there too..there are lots of devalopment projects by the government which will yeild results this decade..

And now to the city I work..there are plenty of flats building here..who you think buying all these?? the builders dont give it for free thats for sure..if if 1/3rd of them were bought by non-residential Indians there are more flats bought by common Indians..Remember i am talking about a city in Kerala..not metropolitan city..There are plenty of job oppuurtunities here and people coming here for jobs..now the jobs are going to the small towns ..By 2012 a small town near my village will be in IT map by the commissioning of techno park subsidiary along with 4 other small towns..is this also benefit to common people in small towns also??

But offcource to you people we Indians live in slums,**** in open and drink cow urine

We do see the sane Indians, and many Indians are reasonable and polite. But there are also the braggarts who, when flustered by the Chinese reality check, turn to attack Pakistan. It is those guys who need to be cut down to size.

When Pakistanis or Chinese brag, the Indians do the same to them, so it all evens out.

Nobody is disputing India's achievements but the fact remains that many Indians, instead of relishing the achievements, use them to put down Pakistan. I am not here to defend China -- the Chinese members are more than capable of doing that -- I only point out the tendency of some Indians to drag Pakistan into a India/China discussion.

Come on devalopro there are more Pakistanis who drag Indo-China dick contest when talk about Indo-Pakistan relations..and also if an American gives China a reality check then they will drag India in to it and say tht guy is an Indian and started all kind of insults to us.why are you failing to see it??

please free Tibetans and Uighars....

Unlike AP ppl who fully are Indian and are even ready to eat up ur pla.... the ppl in Tibet and Xinxiang do not like ur repression and they also are ready to eat ur pla given a chance...;)

Please Sikh, Tamil and Kashmir

What is Uighars and Xinxiang :rofl:

Should Uighur (Uyghur) and Xinjiang :cheers:

Hey guys , i had a question regarding economic growth. When we say for instance that China is growing at 10% every year and India is growing at 9% every year. What is it a percentage of ? The current GDP of the country?

If that's the case , then doesn't that mean that China is growing 3 times faster than india because its GDP is 3 times that of india ?

Hey guys , i had a question regarding economic growth. When we say for instance that China is growing at 10% every year and India is growing at 9% every year. What is it a percentage of ? The current GDP of the country?

If that's the case , then doesn't that mean that China is growing 3 times faster than india because its GDP is 3 times that of india ?

Yes.. but the absolute will be bigger as China's economy grows. Because of the rate of growth, China's economy has grow bigger in absolute terms than the US economy in the last two years.

Mate I am an ordinary citizen in India.so called middle class..let me tell you about my life and living condition..My dad had to go to Saudi Arabia to support his family and lived most of the life there.Growing up in a village I only had two options .either go to a middle eastern country or get a govt job..But now I am woking in a VOIP firm in my state..I can easily send some handsome money to take care of my parents and also live my nonsense life of partying and boozing..its not only the story of me ..you can see many Indians as lucky as me..

And about my village , first TV came to the village was in 1988..I still remembers people standing in two sides of the road to look at that TV and the guy who came to fix the antenna was looked up on like he is a rocket scientist and he was defenitely acting like one..but by 2000 every family in my village has TV and some of them has a computer and a 2\3rd having vehicle ...is it a small step considering a village??This is not the story about my village also there are plenty of villages like this in India..yes offcource there are places where growth yet to be reached but it will soon reach there too..there are lots of devalopment projects by the government which will yeild results this decade..?

To be fair sieko, you're from Kerala. Kerala is one of India's most economically developed states. I've been to Kerala only once, i was astonished not only at the beauty of the surroundings, but also the superior quality of life compared to north India. God's own country indeed.

To be fair sieko, you're from Kerala. Kerala is one of India's most economically developed states. I've been to Kerala only once, i was astonished not only at the beauty of the surroundings, but also the superior quality of life compared to north India. God's own country indeed.

Nemisis there are lot of things to be done here yaar..There is always issues in implimenting projects here in Kerala..Just look at Smart City project and BMW projects..BMW now started in Tamil Nadu and Smart City is about to be gone..If Smart CIty become a reality more than ten thousand people will get job there directly..Compare to Chennai ,Hydrabad and Banglore its nothing but surely we are developing a lot..but who in this forum cares about it ..:)

BUt indeed its a gods own country with its natural beauty and back waters

In fact, development in China is also not balance. The coastal provinces are very rich while the inland provinces are less developed. Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou are sure amazing. Good thing China and India are both developping

AMERICA IS LOSING THE FREE WORLD

Ever since 1945, the US has regarded itself as the leader of the “free world”. But the Obama administration is facing an unexpected and unwelcome development in global politics. Four of the biggest and most strategically important democracies in the developing world – Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey – are increasingly at odds with American foreign policy. Rather than siding with the US on the big international issues, they are just as likely to line up with authoritarian powers such as China and Iran.

The US has been slow to pick up on this development, perhaps because it seems so surprising and unnatural. Most Americans assume that fellow democracies will share their values and opinions on international affairs. During the last presidential election campaign, John McCain, the Republican candidate, called for the formation of a global alliance of democracies to push back against authoritarian powers. Some of President Barack Obama's senior advisers have also written enthusiastically about an international league of democracies.

But the assumption that the world's democracies will naturally stick together is proving unfounded. The latest example came during the Copenhagen climate summit. On the last day of the talks, the Americans tried to fix up one-to-one meetings between Mr Obama and the leaders of South Africa, Brazil and India – but failed each time. The Indians even said that their prime minister, Manmohan Singh, had already left for the airport.

So Mr Obama must have felt something of a chump when he arrived for a last-minute meeting with Wen Jiabao, the Chinese prime minister, only to find him already deep in negotiations with the leaders of none other than Brazil, South Africa and India. Symbolically, the leaders had to squeeze up to make space for the American president around the table.

There was more than symbolism at work. In Copenhagen, Brazil, South Africa and India decided that their status as developing nations was more important than their status as democracies. Like the Chinese, they argued that it is fundamentally unjust to cap the greenhouse gas emissions of poor countries at a lower level than the emissions of the US or the European Union; all the more so since the industrialised west is responsible for the great bulk of the carbon dioxide already in the atmosphere.

Revealingly, both Brazilian and Chinese leaders have made the same pointed joke – likening the US to a rich man who, after gorging himself at a banquet, then invites the neighbours in for coffee and asks them to split the bill.

If climate change were an isolated example, it might be dismissed as an important but anomalous issue that is almost designed to split countries along rich-poor lines. But, in fact, if you look at Brazil, South Africa, India and Turkey – the four most important democracies in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the greater Middle East – it is clear that none of them can be counted as a reliable ally of the US, or of a broader “community of democracies”.

In the past year, President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva of Brazil has cut a lucrative oil deal with China, spoken warmly of Hugo Chávez, president of Venezuela, and congratulated Mahmoud Ahmadi-Nejad on his “victory” in

the Iranian presidential election, while welcoming him on a state visit to Brazil.

During a two-year stint on the United Nations Security Council from 2006, the South Africans routinely joined China and Russia in blocking resolutions on human rights and protecting authoritarian regimes such as Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan and Iran.

Turkey, once regarded as a crucial American ally in the cold war and then trumpeted as the only example of a secular, pro-western, Muslim democracy, is also no longer a reliable partner for the west. Ever since the US-led invasion of Iraq, opinion polls there have shown very high levels of anti-Americanism. The mildly Islamist AKP government has engaged with America's regional enemies – including Hamas, Hizbollah and Iran – and alarmed the Americans by taking an increasingly hostile attitude to Israel.

India's leaders do seem to cherish the idea that they have a “special relationship” with the US. But even the Indians regularly line up against the Americans on a range of international issues, from climate change to the Doha round of trade negotiations and the pursuit of sanctions against Iran or Burma.

So what is going on? The answer is that Brazil, South Africa, Turkey and India are all countries whose identities as democracies are now being balanced – or even trumped – by their identities as developing nations that are not part of the white, rich, western world. All four countries have ruling parties that see themselves as champions of social justice at home and a more equitable global order overseas. Brazil's Workers' party, India's Congress party, Turkey's AKP and South Africa's African National Congress have all adapted to globalisation – but they all retain traces of the old suspicions of global capitalism and of the US.

Mr Obama is seen as a huge improvement on George W. Bush – but he is still an American

president. As emerging global powers and developing nations, Brazil, India, South Africa and Turkey may often feel they have more in common with a rising China than with the democratic US.

Financial Times

something related...

"Arunachal students protest China’s ‘hegemonic’ claim

New Delhi, Nov 4 (IANS) A group of students from Arunachal Pradesh protesting China’s “jingoistic claim” over their state tried to hold a demonstration outside the Chinese embassy here Wednesday, but were prevented by the police.
Shouting slogans like “Born in India, (will) Die in India”, activists of the All Arunachal Pradesh Students’ Union (AAPSU), regretted the “lukewarm attitude and diplomatic romancing” of India with China over the issue.

China has voiced its protest over the Arunachal visits of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Tibetan leader the Dalai Lama later this week. Beijing claims the northeastern state is its territory.

“China’s unrealistic and jingoistic claim over Arunachal is a matter of mental agony for the peace loving and patriotic people of the state,” AAPSU president Takam Tatum told reporters at the Press Club of India.

“We express our deep sense of concern and resentment over China’s expansionist designs to expand its sovereignty over our motherland,” Tatum said.

“Guided by its hegemonic and arrogant attitude, China still considers our state a buffer land and a no mans land rich in hydro power, flora and fauna which shall immensely benefit China if they successfully grab this coveted area,” he said.

He alleged that scores of his activists were detained by Delhi Police when they attempted to stage the protest.

“We wanted to send a message to China that people of Arunachal Pradesh consider and believe that the state is an integral part of India. Soldiers from Arunachal Pradesh have sacrificed their lives for the sovereignty of India in the 1962 war against China,” he said.

Read more: Arunachal students protest China’s ‘hegemonic’ claim
"

Arunachal students protest China’s ‘hegemonic’ claim

in case you got wrong notions about the patriotic fervor in the will of the AP people.

nooooooooooooooo

I guess if we issue Citizenships to dwellers in Arnunarch Pradesh. The whole pradesh will be evaculated overnight as they are heading for china to suffer communist oppression:rofl:

Ha ha. China even tried that. sending messages to public that they don't need visa to cross borders . Communists are communists. Thinking can't change.

Surprised to see even managers of reputed chinese companies are paid peanuts compared to managers in india. May be CPC wants to further increase its foreign reserve.

Ha ha. China even tried that. sending messages to public that they don't need visa to cross borders . Communists are communists. Thinking can't change.

Surprised to see even managers of reputed chinese companies are paid peanuts compared to managers in india. May be CPC wants to further increase its foreign reserve.

May i ask you a simple question ? are you an Indian living in India?

If your answer is yes, i think you really need some help from......

If your answer is no, you surely need a good reality check;

Extreme Poverty and Hunger in India
by Prakash, India

Despite the economic growth and outsourcing of foreign jobs by western companies to India, majority of the Indian population still wallow in extreme poverty and disease. Behind India’s new-found economic strength are three hundred million poor people that live on less than $1 per day. Government figures may indicate a reduction in poverty. But the truth is, with increasing global food prices, poverty is spreading everywhere like a swarm of locust. Conditions are worst in the rural areas where close to 70% of India’s population resides. Statistics show, that 2.1 million children under 5 years old die of malnutrition yearly.

India is not be rated as the most corrupt country in the world as far as the figures go but corrupt practices exist here in India like any other place in Africa. Public school teachers rarely go for classes but still get paid at the end of the month. The ministry of education in India is struggling to identify thousands of so-called ghost-worker names of teachers that only exist on payroll – yet victory is far-fetched.

Mumbai is beautiful and businesses are flourishing but that is for the privileged few. The poor, who are majority, live in slums. They can only see and fantasize about the beautiful things in the city of Mumbai, but can't benefit. The streets of major cities in India, like the rural areas, are populated by persons who can’t even get the minimum amount of calories that is required for survival due to the low quality of food they eat. To many Indians, basic amenities such as proper sanitation, portable water, and health care are luxuries they can only get in their dreams.

Many young girls have resorted to prostitution as a way to escape from poverty and provide for their families. Increasing number of girls are dropping out of schools to look for jobs. In some extreme cases, parents force their girls out of school themselves. This ugly trend spells doom for India’s economy in the future.

As families cut back at the number, quality and quantity of food they consume per day; meat, a source of protein, is no more an option in the menu of many families. People now opt for less nutritional meals – just to put something in the stomach— which has a bad effect on child’s growth. Meanwhile, it’s estimated that 40% of children in India are suffering from stunted growth.

:smitten::pakistan::china:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom