What's new

China's English skills have surpassed India!

January 18, 2012

Despite its British colonial legacy and reputation as an English-speaking nation, India is today no more proficient in English than rapidly-improving China.
That ranking is incorrect. According to that, Koreans score close to Hong Kongese, does that mean average Koreans speak English as well as average Hong Kongese(The ones born and raised in Hong Kong, not mainland immigrants)? Absolutely not!

This is simply a test score ranking which bears no relation to English speaking in real world, where Hong Kongese and Indians excel in conversational English, while Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese struggle on.

Ok tell us something about Safari Nachtcabaret. :D

Naughty boy!
Smiley5.gif

That ranking is incorrect. According to that, Koreans score close to Hong Kongese, does that mean average Koreans speak English as well as average Hong Kongese(The ones born and raised in Hong Kong, not mainland immigrants)? Absolutely not!

This is simply a test score ranking which bears no relation to English speaking in real world, where Hong Kongese and Indians excel in conversational English, while Koreans, Japanese, and Chinese struggle on.

Let me give you another clue

Indian standard of schooling rank 2nd last in global test

Indian standard of schooling rank 2nd last in global test | ummid.com

A) Why so much emphasis about English skills? It's a colonial language and butchering it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

B) This poll is heavily susceptible to bias because of its sampling methodology (i.e. people find the site and choose to take the poll rather than vice versa). I expect that something like Chinese who took the poll were in the top 1% of English speakers in their country while Indians who took the poll were in the top 5% of English speakers in their country.

A) Why so much emphasis about English skills? It's a colonial language and butchering it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

B) This poll is heavily susceptible to bias because of its sampling methodology (i.e. people find the site and choose to take the poll rather than vice versa). I expect that something like Chinese who took the poll were in the top 1% of English speakers in their country while Indians who took the poll were in the top 5% of English speakers in their country.

yeah right IQ test is biased the education test is biased now this too is biased

I expect that something like Chinese who took the poll were in the top 1% of English speakers in their country while Indians who took the poll were in the top 5% of English speakers in their country.
This kind of tests test for reading and grammatical errors, not speaking and writing, whose scores can be improved via test practices.

This is why Korea is shown to be ranking very high even though nobody speaks English day to day and are certainly very poor English speakers, because Koreans are the most studious bunch in Asia. The ranking of Korea > Japan > Taiwan > China matches the academic rigorousness ranking of respective countries.

I don't know why there's even competition between us to learn an alien language that belongs to neither of us? :lol:

Common communication mode, yes. But to beat each other to it? That's sad.

Back
Top Bottom