What's new

China to provide $448 million for 969MW Neelum-Jhelum project

lem34

New Recruit

Reaction score
China to provide $448 million for 969MW Neelum-Jhelum project
20 June, 2012

ISLAMABAD: China EXIM Bank will provide $448 million to help complete strategically important 969 megawatts (MW) Neelum-Jhelum Hydropower Project (NJHP).

Central Development Working Party has also approved revised PC-I of the project amounting to Rs 274.882 billion.

Chairman Pakistan Water and Power Development Authority (WAPDA), Shakil Durrani chaired the meeting, which reviewed progress on the project, being constructed on Neelum River in Azad Jammu and Kashmir (AJK).

NJHP CEO said assembling of the two German-manufactured sate-of-the-art tunnel boring machines (TBMs) at site was in progress.

The first TBM is expected to be operational in August, while the second one in September 2012. The use of TBMs will enhance the progress, thereby reducing construction period of the project by 18 months, resulting in an estimated benefit of Rs. 60 billion, he added.

The meeting was told the construction work at all sites including main dam, de-sander, tunnels, and underground powerhouse and transformers hall was in full swing. About 23 kilometers main and access tunnels have so far been excavated. The overall progress on the project stands at 35 percent, the meeting was informed.

WAPDA chairman said NJHP was a vital project in view of the ever- increasing needs of electricity in the country.

NJHP is being executed on priority to induct low-cost hydel electricity in the national grid and to establish priority water rights over the Neelum and Jhelum rivers, as India is also constructing Kishan Ganga Project upstream of NJHP. The project will be completed in 2016.

On completion, the project will contribute about 5.15 billion units of low-cost electricity per annum to the national grid. Annual benefits of the project have been calculated about Rs 45 billion, while the project will pay back its cost in about seven years.

http://paktribune.com/business/news...ion-for-969MW-Neelum-Jhelum-project-9955.html
:china::pakistan:

Any info on current status of the construction done so far....percentage wise....

I'm glad our Chinese allies are helping us.

We should dump USA forever. They know their time is up.

We shouldn't even be a MNNA or a major non nato ally.

We Pakistanis should improve our relations with China and Russia.

Forget USA and India.

Is this before, after, or concurrent with the couple of billion China has promised for the IP pipeline project?

Hope India takes note and completes the Kishanganga project first so that we will have the upperhand in any legal case.

Is that appropriate here? Soft trolling?

Not at all. I am just trying to assess the total aid that Pakistan seems to be getting from non-Western sources, that is all, both pledged and actual.

Hope India takes note and completes the Kishanganga project first so that we will have the upperhand in any legal case.
Its supposed to be build one year ahead by 2015...hope it doesn't hit any delays....:smokin:

Not at all. I am just trying to assess the total aid that Pakistan seems to be getting from non-Western sources, that is all, both pledged and actual.

Cost of IP my pet lol is a nearer half of what you have stated. Iranian's have confirmed they are willing to finance it if push comes to shove. Both Gazprom and Chinese are back in the picture. There are conflicting reports about costs I reckon our side is nearer to $700 mill. Gazprom there are reported to have stated that they will finance it provided they do not have to bid. After meetings at SCO tender date was revised by some two weeks to allow Chinese to bid, I think it will end up being a consortium

Its supposed to be build one year ahead by 2015...hope it doesn't hit any delays....:smokin:

The contract deadline is end of 2014. Pakistan faces penalties if not up and running at end of 2014.

Cost of IP my pet lol is a nearer half of what you have stated. Iranian's have confirmed they are willing to finance it if push comes to shove. Both Gazprom and Chinese are back in the picture. There are conflicting reports about costs I reckon our side is nearer to $700 mill. Gazprom there are reported to have stated that they will finance it provided they do not have to bid. After meetings at SCO tender date was revised by some two weeks to allow Chinese to bid, I think it will end up being a consortium

The contract deadline is end of 2014. Pakistan faces penalties if not up and running at end of 2014.

I think we should compromise with the Russians. We allow them to finance part of the project, and they allow us into SCO while India remains out of SCO.

Sounds like reasonable deal to me.

Doesn't anyone understand why India cannot be in SCO.

India is an enemy of both Pakistan and China.

Bringing India into SCO, would be like putting Japan into SCO, another country that has territorial disputes with China.

If I was a Russian official or policymaker, ditch India, and bring Pakistan into SCO.

Back
Top Bottom