What's new

China Squashes Attempted Tunisia-Style Revolt the JASMINE REVOLUTION

So, according to you what is the definition of a true democracy and how is it supposed to work?

can't tell you that, it's one of our china secret :lol:

but most 'democracy' on the news is just a tag of cold war

can't tell you that, it's one of our china secret :lol:

but most 'democracy' on the news is just a tag of cold war

You're not helping man, do come up with some answers rather than laughing out loud. If you are a grown up try to behave like one.

You're not helping man, do come up with some answers rather than laughing out loud. If you are a grown up try to behave like one.
The man does not know. That is evident by now.

Well no, my question was related to India.

Hmm I might not be able to give as through an answer as I would like right now, so I'll just plagiarized an answer I received when I asked about Indian democracy.

Me
You sir have cleverly dodged my question. What do you think would be best for Greater India? or what message would you try to convey to your fellow countrymen? Out with the old or Que Sera Sera?

Joe Shearer
Well, actually, I wanted time to do my outside chores and return! Having returned briefly, and seen your queries, it seems better to me to reply in brief for the record, and to come back later for more detail if it seems to be needed.

I have in fact NO message for my fellow-countrymen; who am I to tell them what to do? If I wanted to start lecturing them, I would start with asking them to look for facts and for information before responding, instead of immediately striking belligerent postures and threatening nuclear war the very next second.

A change in this simple matter is unlikely to happen; why should I be so puffed-up as to think that a change in a fundamental matter might take place if I suggest it? No, indeed I wouldn't dream of advising anyone anything.

What I do stand for is to stand by and observe how the benefits and curative and healing properties of democracy get gradually deeper and deeper into our national system, until we have an asset which is of organic growth, native to the soil and unlikely to be vulnerable to dictatorship or to the mad impulses of a very popular leader who suddenly sees and opportunity for undying glory, or, worse, a military man who seeks power. This has become already something that we know about and we have had a brush with, in the form of the short but very fearful Emergency that Mrs. Gandhi declared some 35 years ago. We knew fear then; those of us who remember may kill to stop it recurring ever. The younger generations at least know that it was tried once, but did not 'take', and we can only hope that they will sense a bit of the overpowering suffocation that overtakes us when we are in such a state.

So my response is that the longer democracy is 'done' , the more its good effects. I keep telling Pakistani friends of a liberal disposition who cordially dislike Zardari that democracy includes suffering fools gladly, if those are elected fools. There are ways to upset them or to get rid of them, but within the system, not abruptly, not necessarily the first time that it becomes apparent that they are knaves or fools.

So, too, with our democracy.

It is old enough for everyone to know the consequences. People understand that politicians need to be changed, just like diapers, and for the same reasons. People know that politicians steal, and have to be watched. Our shrill and hyper-active media and our increasingly short-tempered judges are genuinely guarding us against them, and making sure that they don't get away in the long-term. As we figure out how to do things, as the older democracies have, we will get rid of their evil consequences in the mid-term, perhaps, some day in future, even in the short-term.

Till then, if the Nehru-Gandhis are elected, so be it. Let them have a go. Their grandmother died; their father died. They've paid their dues. They are obviously clots, and perhaps it is better to have clots than to have the murderous bastards, filled with hate and busy breaking, tearing down and maiming, that is the alternative. They too may in time mellow into something not much worse than a surly head-waiter at a posh restaurant, who knows?

My answer is Que Sera, Sera, I think, except that while it is Sera'ing, I would not sit idle but make sure that I have some say on the Que.

Warm regards

http://www.defence.pk/forums/china-...-affairs-news-discussions-46.html#post1476325

The man does not know. That is evident by now.

Man you really jump the guns as soon as you see the word China. Good for you , I would really like to discuss some technical queries, perhaps some other time and thread.

CardSharp, I was about to point out the same the Emergency thing. Regarding your statement that democracy and other ideologies don't go hand in hand is not true as should know that the first ever Communist Chief Minister was elected by the people of Kerela, India. Cold is over and so is Soviet Union and not every country is US believing in suppressing other ideologies to carry on "our very way of life"

Man you really jump the guns as soon as you see the word China. Good for you , I would really like to discuss some technical queries, perhaps some other time and thread.

CardSharp, I was about to point out the same the Emergency thing. Regarding your statement that democracy and other ideologies don't go hand in hand is not true as should know that the first ever Communist Chief Minister was elected by the people of Kerela, India. Cold is over and so is Soviet Union and not every country is US believing in suppressing other ideologies to carry on "our very way of life"

Maybe but I am speaking to the situation today (China isn't really communist anyways, more a single party state sans ideology).

The US sees democracy as a weapon to neutralize potential enemies, either by making their leadership friendly to the US or by throwing their organization into disarray/create trouble for them. US congress allots large amounts of money for just this purpose, not all of it is for China but a big of chunk of it is. Let's just say that the US wants China to be a democracy on the US's terms and sees the Chinese democracy movement as a possible check on China's current challenge of the global order.

Maybe but I am speaking to the situation today (China isn't really communist anyways, more a single party state sans ideology).

The US sees democracy as a weapon to neutralize potential enemies, either by making their leadership friendly to the US or by throwing their organization into disarray/create trouble for them. US congress allots large amounts of money for just this purpose, not all of it is for China but a big of chunk of it is. Let's just say that the US wants China to be a democracy on the US's terms and sees the Chinese democracy movement as a possible check on China's current challenge of the global order.

Trust me, I for one is all for China being a single party system as it is easier to explain and convince a handful of people in power to have better relations than 100's of parties and their S.O.B's leaders. And as Nevile Maxwell said as soon you talk about peace, other politicians will accuse you selling the sacred soil of the holy motherland.

But don't let your perspective be limited to China, US, Russia, India, Japan and Taiwan.

Trust me, I for one is all for China being a single party system as it is easier to explain and convince a handful of people in power to have better relations than 100's of parties and their S.O.B's leaders. And as Nevile Maxwell said as soon you talk about peace, other politicians will accuse you selling the sacred soil of the holy motherland.

But don't let your perspective be limited to China, US, Russia, India, Japan and Taiwan.

I'm not, and I agree with you about the 100 parties and the SOB leaders.

Yeah hope he didn't get addicted to the publicity.

Hell if I were in China, I'd probably turn a pro-democracy activist just for the girls.

Think about it, he spends a night in jail, then he's an instantly hero in the pro-dem crowd with all the *cough* he can handle. What's not to like?

Actually if I'm with the MSS, I'll be flooding overseas human right websites and twitter with calls for protests in China, every city, everyday. Good luck on figuring out what's going on. All hail the interwebz!

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom