What's new

China speaks better English than India, says study

@ chinese dragon,

i learnt a lot about chinese languages from ur posts thanks a lot :tup:

Did I touch a nerve, Kerpal?

How come you've given up the role of acting as grammar police? I was hoping you were going to enlighten us all on how your masters’ language should be spoken and written.

O’ Indians are absolute role models on how to integrate and behave when in foreign lands as they migrate to every corner of the globe only to be hated on and mocked by the whole population residing in that country from being ‘curry bashed’ by the Australian population or from being labelled as Apu by the American populace to being racially mocked by Malaysians and let us not even begin to talk about the racial abuse you receive in this country. Kerpal I think it’s time you got some rest as you’ve got a long and fruitful day ahead of you holding up a subway sign in the middle of town along with your fellow Bhartis.

Don’t worry your media will milk the news showing some beaten up Indian guy in hospital warning fellow Bhartis to stay in India while promoting some more fair and lovely in order to enable Indian citizens residing abroad to try and blend in a lot more with the crowd.

while pakistanis are greatly respected, how right u r

http://www.defence.pk/forums/world-affairs/56961-pakistanis-pose-indians-after-n-y-bomb-scare.html

English is just a tool to comunicate... I never use english while having conversation with family, friends, teachers etc....
but when I go to non-hindi speakers states I have to use english

we are not proud of english unlike china and Pakistanis...

When giving a speech in public, your MMS speaks Enligsh, our Hu Jingtao speaks Chinese. I believe everyone can see the difference here.

In India, proficient English skills are taken as a symbol of upper social class; whereas in China, it is just treated as a tool of commmunication. In fact, in China if someone speaks English with others both in public and in private, he/she will be despised.

They will bring up Singh's turban and Hu's tie though, watch out :lol:

Then it will be another topic worth discussing.

On topic

Frankly speaking, I think we Chinese are taking English too seriously, which in fact is very alarming. It is not necessary for every Chinese to understand English. English should not be a compulsory course in China at all.

When giving a speech in public, your MMS speaks Enligsh, our Hu Jingtao speaks Chinese. I believe everyone can see the difference here.

In India, proficient English skills are taken as a symbol of upper social class; whereas in China, it is just treated as a tool of commmunication. In fact, in China if someone speaks English with others both in public and in private, he/she will be despised.

Do you know the number of languages spoken in India? Do you know Sanskrit is the mother of all languages and many of the words in English are derived from it. We have enough languages in India to be proud of and we do not despise people for the language they use.

There are 18 major languages spoken in India and over 1600 regional dialects. Even though Hindi is the official language, many people in India do not speak it at all. Hindi is spoken by about half the population, mostly in North India. Most languages have their own script. Some of the major languages are Hindi, English, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Kashmiri, Malayalam, Marathi, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu.

English is the second major language spoken in India and is used for much of the official business. It is the official language of the judiciary. Many people prefer to use English as a common language over Hindi. English is the first language for many people, especially in the big cities. A large percentage of people in India can speak and read English.

Each state in the South has its own language—Tamil in Tamil Nadu; Telegu in Andhra Pradesh; Kanada in Karnataka; and Malayalam in Kerala.

Major Languages

Assamese About 60% of the population of Assam speaks Assamese.

Bengali It is the state language of West Bengal. Many people in Bengal only speak Bengali and do not speak Hindi or English.

Gujarati State language of Gujarat.

Hindi This is the first language of about 20% of India. It is the first language in Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh. It is the official language of the Indian government.

Kannada State language of Karnataka.

Kashmiri About 55% of the population of Jammu & Kashmir speak this language. It is written in an Arabic script.

Konkani It is the language spoken in Goa.

Malayalam State language of Kerala.

Manipuri Spoken in northeast India.

Marathi State language of Maharashtra. Also spoken in Mumbai.

Nepali This is the main language in Nepal and Sikkim.

Oriya State language of Orissa.

Punjabi State language of the Punjab.

Sanskrit It is the language that the Vedic scriptures are written in and it is one of the oldest languages in the world. Very few people speak this language now.

Sindhi This language is spoken in Pakistan or by people that were from this area.

Tamil State language of Tamil Nadu. 65 million people speak this language.

Telugu State language of Andhra Pradesh.

Urdu State language of Jammu & Kashmir. Urdu was developed in Delhi and is mainly spoken by the Muslim population. It is written in the Arabic script and includes many Persian words.

Do you know the number of languages spoken in India? Do you know Sanskrit is the mother of all languages and many of the words in English are derived from it. We have enough languages in India to be proud of and we do not despise people for the language they use.

How many languages there are in India is irrelevant here, but I can tell it from I saw and read from Indian articles, movies and other materials, that Indian people are not as proud of their native languages as English language. In India, people who can't speak fluent English will be despised by others, and those who can speak decent English receives more repsect then they deserve.

You should note that we are having this discussion because one of your compatriots claim Chinese are more proud of English than Indians, which is not true. And I am here to prove it to you.

How many languages there are in India is irrelevant here, but I can tell it from I saw and read from Indian articles, movies and other materials, that Indian people are not as proud of their native languages as English language. In India, people who can't speak fluent English will be despised by others, and those who can speak decent English receives more repsect then they deserve.

You should note that we are having this discussion because one of your compatriots claim Chinese are more proud of English than Indians, which is not true. And I am here to prove it to you.

If we were not proud of our languages, they would not have survived the test of time. And it is really nice of you to think you know more about India than what Indians do.

If a villager in a remote part of India with no access to education when he was young sees a man speak in English, he is not respecting him for his English but for his education. Most schools and colleges in India, teach in English medium. This reflects on Indians with the fluency with which they are able to put forward their ideas in a foreign language. It is no longer foreign as we have adopted it as a business language.

Its really laughable how you consider yourself an expert on a nation and people that you have never lived in, nor have you interacted with except in a limited environment such as a university or at an office (former is the case I think)....

So your generalization is nothing more than your view of Indians as a Pakistani living in the US (Obviously biased by the fact that you're Pakistani)...

Now instead of telling me to Push off on a topic where my observations hold more credibility (being an Indian and having lived in several parts of India), please stop making baseless statements...or prove your worth with some solid evidence to back up your observations

I speak as someone who's been to India twice & gone to different states there. Besides the fact that both my parents are Indian, & my whole maternal side of the family is still in India, & a part of my father's side as well; both of whom I interact with regularly. My mother language is Bhojpuri, which I speak fluently. I am extremely close to my first cousins in India. I speak as someone who's spent half his life interacting with Indians from all over India, in middle school, high school, college, grad school & the work place (office). So yes, I am definitely much more of an expert on India than you think I am. Now sod off.

:coffee: I say a few honest: I think that almost no Chinese believe it to be proud of "China speaks better English than India."
We rarely use English in our everyday life.

:coffee: Most Chinese people believe that: English is just a tool, it is only occasionally used, it can also be discarded.

In China, one takes pride in Mandarin profficiency & the lack of regional accent as a sign of cultural sophistication, not English.

Back
Top Bottom