What's new

China permits Indian basmati rice imports

People comparing Jasmine Rice with Basmati :cheesy:
Basmati Rice doesn't go well with the chopsticks as it's non-sticky unlike all the rice varieties consumed in East Asia.

The majority are locals but Thai rice is much more popular than other countries.

It actually varies depend on individual preference. However, I would guess more chinese will actually prefer their own type of rice which is more sticky to thai rice . Note here: South east asian actually use forks & spoons rather than chopsticks to pick their rice and food, whereas the chinese and etc use the chopsticks to perform all these tasks i.e. more sticky make it easier to pick up the rice. By utilising less effort, you will have more time to chew and enjoy your food as well. : )

People comparing Jasmine Rice with Basmati :cheesy:
Basmati Rice doesn't go well with the chopsticks as it's non-sticky unlike all the rice varieties consumed in East Asia.

Finally, some indian found the hinted clue/s. But that's not all, the chinese barely eat their rice plainly. Rice are normally served together with a few dishes e.g. fish, meats, veggies, soup with heavy seasoning and soy sauce which will easily overwhelm any frangance smell emitted from the rice. So you see here, it is the type and price that matter, not so much the frangance although the quality still count.

Ok, I misunderstood the post.. Since you got much knowledge on the topic, show me the Nourishment comparison of various rice available in China and how they score any better than "Basmati rice".

I know your hatred for anything Indian but you guys need to know one fact and that is - Basmati is one of the most sold premium rice in the world and there are very good reasons for people liking it.

I can understand if you say you can't afford it or may be it is not up to your taste but that does not mean you can come up with stupid statements - it got no "Nourishment".

For god sake, stop insulting your intelligence.

Don't you know how to read your own posting? Or simply you will go nuts when you got humiliated by your own lacking in english vocabs?

BTW & FYI, nutritious food does not equal to top quality food. Especially you are talking about food that lack of quality assurance as such:
China allows imports of Indian basmati rice

My Favorited is beef. Does India export beef?

Yes.. It does.. Ask the Bangladeshis.. They are willing to die to get Indian beef.
On a serious note, we get Indian beef along with Australian beef in the supermarkets in Malaysia.

LOl, you indian really know how to price yourselves out of business. US$7.00 will get me ~5kg of thai fragrant rice or ~2.5kg of pakistani bamasti rice here in Singapore.

BTW, the chinese would prefer their sticky rices first for their daily meals. Next, come close will be the thai rice which is more suitable to be used for fried rice and porridge. And on briyani part, not even 0.01% of their population have any actual taste with it. I seriously doubt that the indian bamasti rice is going to be sell big in China, especially with this sort of ridiculous pricing!

Last but not lest, as i am a chinese singaprean, i know both the PRC chinese taste bugs and how their manage their pocket. And I bet this export is going fail miserably due to own greed and hindsight of chinese food culture.

I have to agree with you. I don't think there is a big demand for the long grained fragrant rice from South-Asia in China. They prefer the sticky glutinous rice, which is more suitable for eating with chop sticks. Even the Thai varieties of long grained rice make up less than 1% of the rice sold in the supermarkets in china.
May be the Basmati export to China is targetted at the South-Asian community living in China, especially in the business hubs of Guangzhou and Shanghai. Apart from South-Asians, the Europeans and Americans and Middle-easterners too have a taste for Basmati..

It actually varies depend on individual preference. However, I would guess more chinese will actually prefer their own type of rice which is more sticky to thai rice . Note here: South east asian actually use forks & spoons rather than chopsticks to pick their rice and food, whereas the chinese and etc use the chopsticks to perform all these tasks i.e. more sticky make it easier to pick up the rice. By utilising less effort, you will have more time to chew and enjoy your food as well. : )

Thanks for revealing that one. I never thought about that.

So that stupid dirty looking rice is from India. It doesn't matter if it got permission. No one will buy it.

Do you realise in your blind hatred for everything Indian, your attempt at insulting basmati rice is also insulting to the Pakistanis who also grow and export it...?????:chilli::chilli::taz::taz:

Basmati Rice is considered a delicacy in India and Pakistan because of long grain, good flavor and aromatic smell and we two countries have patent over that. It seems Chinese here thinking it as an ordinary rice.

Pakistan is cry already. lol

What wingers, why cant they just try to work harder in a free market economy!

Indian rice imports to hit Pak exports
LAHORE – Opposing the import of rice from India, Rice Exporters Association of Pakistan (REAP) on Saturday urged the Ministry of Commerce to include all varieties of rice in negative list to avoid dumping of Indian rice in Pakistani market to save farmers, traders and exporters from losses besides avoiding losing very important markets of Afghanistan, Iran and Central Asian States.

While talking to the media, REAP Chairman Javed Islam Agha said that cheaper Indian rice would reach the market of Afghanistan by land route, which in turn will badly affect Pakistan’s rice exports to Afghanistan especially.The REAP chairman said that the import of rice from India would badly hit local production, causing huge losses to exporters, traders and farmers because cheaper import of agri products from India would ruin agricultural production potential of the country.

Agha said if the government allows the import of Indian rice in to Pakistan, then our farmers should also be given the facilities matching with the subsidies being given to Indian farmers, so that our farmers are able to protect their livelihood. ‘Indian government is giving about $30 billion in subsidies to its farmers. The cost of urea and DAP is less than 50 per cent of the Pakistani prices and Indian farmers are also getting cheaper electricity and fuel.

Referring to media reports, Javed Islam Agha said that Pakistani buyers had placed the first order of at least 2500 tons of Indian rice out of which 100 tons had already reached the local markets of Punjab. Traditionally, he said the price of Indian basmati and other rice varieties used to be at least $100-300 metric tons higher than Pakistani rice varieties but after the arrival of new crop in October-November 2011, India is taking advantage of its huge stocks, bumper crop and devaluation of its rupee by 15-20 per cent and reduced prices by 20 to 30 per cent and now they were selling rice $100-300 metric ton cheaper than Pakistani Basmati and other varieties such as Kainat (1121).

Recently, he said the Indian government has also reduced the Minimum Export Price (MEP) on basmati rice from $900 to $ 700 per metric ton, which is far below the Pakistani Basmati rice prices of $900-1100 metric tons. Earlier, the Indian government also lifted ban on export of non-basmati rice and allowed export of 2 million tons of non-basmati rice. Consequently, Pakistan has lost its brown rice market of EU of nearly 170,000 tons to India and is facing great difficulties for export of its basmati rice to Middle East and other countries of the world. The prices of long grain Pakistan IRRI had gone down drastically which is hitting the farmers of Sindh who are demanding compensation for their losses, Agha said.

Even Pakistan is buying rice from India :taz:

Here are the biggest Rice producers in the World

People's Republic of China 197
India 131
Indonesia 64
Bangladesh 45
Vietnam 39
Thailand 31
Myanmar 31
Philippines 16
Brazil 13
Japan 11
Pakistan 10
United States 10

Good to see Bangladesh 4th, in fact very surprised. Guess its a competition of India basmati rice vs Chinese rice? Who will the majority perfer?

first of all , i dont know why people doesnt understand the difference between white rice, Thai Rice and Basmathi --- Basmathi is the best quality rice with a good fragrance & punjabi basmathi from India is very famous , Basmathi rice will not be for the common man but for the high class and restaurants - However i dont belive the price of 7$ a kg it would be around 2 $ a kg - the importance of this discission to India why the strict lobbying from Pakistan (competitor in Basmathi) against this decission

Basmati Rice is considered a delicacy in India and Pakistan because of long grain, good flavor and aromatic smell and we two countries have patent over that. It seems Chinese here thinking it as an ordinary rice.

The keyword here is individual preference and the quality assurance. Lacking in one of these two is already a hindrance, lacking in both will only spell disaster for business even there is a good discount. For food, this is even more obvious.

The keyword here is individual preference and the quality assurance. Lacking in one of these two is already a hindrance, lacking in both will only spell disaster for business even there is a good discount. For food, this is even more obvious.

Chinese should be last people talking about Quality assurances..

Don't you know how to read your own posting? Or simply you will go nuts when you got humiliated by your own lacking in english vocabs?

Don't worry, I am not here to learn English vocab from an ethnic Chinese!! Try your luck with other Chinese folks.. There are plenty on this forum..

BTW & FYI, nutritious food does not equal to top quality food. Especially you are talking about food that lack of quality assurance as such:
China allows imports of Indian basmati rice

I didn't made any comment on Nutritious content. It was you and your Chinese compatriot who was talking about it so don't try to give it a twist now.

Regarding QA - the lesser Chinese talks about it, the better.

As a matter of fact, people will buy the product if they like it.. I don't know why you Chinese are running so butt-hurt for your govt's action..

People here are forgetting one thing very common in each society. 8/10 % of high class (rich) population eat for STATUS and not for hunger. It's natural and normal in all societies. And THAT's the MARKET for the things that common people don't need.

Even most of Indian can't afford Basamati. But look at the sells. I am not talking about export. Same apply for US or Chinese food in India. Common Indians don't preffer them but the people with money definately have that.

It's human nature to get attracted to Forgin things.

Back
Top Bottom