What's new

China Mobile plans India entry via acquisition

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
China Mobile plans India entry via acquisition

The world's largest mobile operator in terms of the number of subscribers (457 million), China Mobile, is considering an acquisition in India. “We are looking at India for our expansion,” Wang Jianzhou, chairman and CEO of China Mobile, said on the sidelines of a press conference at the Mobile World Congress here.

This is the first time the mobile company had expressed an interest in India. Wang, however, declined to comment on whether he was already in talks with any Indian operator.

Wang said the telecom company was looking at international markets despite the global economic crisis but said the approach would be cautious since the domestic market still presented huge potential for growth.

Last year, the Indian telecom market saw healthy valuations for acquisitions in two new telecom companies that are yet to start operations. Swan Telecom was valued at around $2 billion after selling 45 per cent to UAE-based Etisalat for close to $900 million (around Rs 4,140 crore). Unitech Wireless, with 22 circles, sold 60 per cent to Telenor for Rs 6,120 crore, valuing the company at Rs 11,620 crore. Other new entrants Videcon group Datacom, and BPL Group’s Loop Telecom have also been on the lookout for new partners.

In contrast to the saturated mobile markets in developed countries, India adds about 9 million subscribers every month, making it an attractive market for new investors.

From:Talk time: China Mobile plans India entry via acquisition

any acquisition by Chinese will never been approved.....by MoD, RAW and security committee.

it's just a wish. I don't think it's gona to happen.

any acquisition by Chinese will never been approved.....by MoD, RAW and security committee.

Not far from the company I work for is Infosys. Could tell me why China approves such Indian companies' entry to China?

Not far from the company I work for is Infosys. Could tell me why China approves such Indian companies' entry to China?

@Stax...there are Chinese companies here in India as well....Huawi...is one of the biggest supplier of wireless devices ..and has multiple offices across...India ....so having offices is not an issue....but may be Chinese ownership of India companies could be a challenge....

For more info on Chinese Companies In India please read this :

Chinese Companies in India

I do not think these agencies would have any say in an economic matter. This is not in their scope.

@Stax...there are Chinese companies here in India as well....Huawi...is one of the biggest supplier of wireless devices ..and has multiple offices across...India ....so having offices is not an issue....but may be Chinese ownership of India companies could be a challenge....

For more info on Chinese Companies In India please read this :

Chinese Companies in India

In the following link you can see that Mittal (an Indian steel company) have purchase the 656.25 million institutional shares of the China's eighth-largest steel maker:

Mittal bags $314 mn China deal

China mobile won't own an Indian mobile company, maybe just buy some shares of It.

In the following link you can see that Mittal (an Indian steel company) have purchase the 656.25 million institutional shares of the China's eighth-largest steel maker:

China mobile won't own an Indian mobile company, maybe just buy some shares of It.

Well I am not sure what kind of plan China mobile has ...but I think that an appropriate decision would be taken by GOI .....we have got Japanese, American ...companies having shareholding in India telecom sector....it would not hurt to have a Chinese shareholder..... but thats simply my opinion....as I said ...the decision would be on GOI.....

I do not think these agencies would have any say in an economic matter. This is not in their scope.

Its Security Matters,
1) Chinese Company Huwai stopped from Selling Mobile Comm equipment to BSNL in border states and NE, Stop by Security Team

2) Chinese company Stop from Making Ports in India , Security Issue

3) Chinese Company Stopped in Modifying Goa Airport , since it shared by Navy and Airforce, Security Reasons.

All Investment made by Gulf and China has to need clearance from Cabinet of Security .

Mittal is UK based Company run by NRI.

Its Security Matters,
1) Chinese Company Huwai stopped from Selling Mobile Comm equipment to BSNL in border states and NE, Stop by Security Team

2) Chinese company Stop from Making Ports in India , Security Issue

3) Chinese Company Stopped in Modifying Goa Airport , since it shared by Navy and Airforce, Security Reasons.

All Investment made by Gulf and China has to need clearance from Cabinet of Security .

The bottom line of your post.....Chinese companies are not allowed into defense periphery....but if its about having a share in Idea....may Be Vodafone...or some local mobile company.....like Aircel...I don't think that will be an issue.

The bottom line of your post.....Chinese companies are not allowed into defense periphery....but if its about having a share in Idea....may Be Vodafone...or some local mobile company.....like Aircel...I don't think that will be an issue.

Yes. This is what the main reason why it is outside the perview of security establishment. Also the mobile sets without EMI numbers are still not allowed in India, irrespective of the country.

Well I am not sure what kind of plan China mobile has ...but I think that an appropriate decision would be taken by GOI .....we have got Japanese, American ...companies having shareholding in India telecom sector....it would not hurt to have a Chinese shareholder..... but thats simply my opinion....as I said ...the decision would be on GOI.....

Yes. Indian company also can buy Chinese companies' shares. Many Chinese companies are growing fast. China mobile also has strategic stakeholders like Vodafone

Look Some Sectors like Telecoms, Power, Airlines, Oil etc is comes under strategic Preview and most of Chinese company own by retried PLA chiefs or Govt.

In invested in Telecoms , one can easy spy and listen talks to defense forces also. many things , that why they never allowed.

Look Some Sectors like Telecoms, Power, Airlines, Oil etc is comes under strategic Preview and most of Chinese company own by retried PLA chiefs or Govt.

In invested in Telecoms , one can easy spy and listen talks to defense forces also. many things , that why they never allowed.

Just to buy some shares. China mobile won't interfere with the Indian mobile's operation. I've bought some stocks in China, but never work for these companies.

Back
Top Bottom