What's new

China ex-rail minister given suspended death sentence

PUN INTENDED

Shame on Chinese, they don't treat their minister well. Recently Indian Railway minister Pawn Bansal too was convicted of more or less same charges but we Indians asked him only for temporary resignation , that too since polls are near and secretly ticked him that he will be reinstated after next cabinet resuffle.China should learn from us Indians.

On Topic::Great work China, I am so inspired by this move and at same time bugged by repeated corruption scandals in India that wana change my citizenship , if only it was possible.Kudos China , you rocks, this century certainly belongs to you.

Damn Imran Khan and PTI for restoring a corrupt to teeth man, as cheif justice of Pakistan. Who has always misused his powers.
IMO... cheap justice of Pakistan shall be starting point... following Chinese foot steps.

This is where Pakistan can learn from China. If we started doing the same within weeks we will run out of almost all politicians.
Agreed. I think Pakistan should give death penalty to the responsiables whose corruption effected the entire nation and destroyed the national assets. For example at least the big fishes behind the corruption in Pakistan Railways, PIA and electricity crisis.

Very PITY, not including Wen Ji@ B@o ... the government blocking NYTimes.com since 2012 due to reported that guy's family owned over 10billion $$$, today i still can't access NYTimes.com inside China.

The CCP never suspended the biggest black BOSS, i had said the worst future is to follow former S.U.

I'd say he is an extremely capable minister; it is impossible for anyone to discuss any Chinese HSR achievement without mentioning his contributions. He was in a position of managing $300+ billion of investment and his administration built 8000 km+ of HSR before he was detained in early 2011(plus a few thousand more under construction at that time), more importantly, China acquired necessary technologies all because of his strategies. He used less than $1 billion for political purposes according to rumors, and he embezzled less than $2 million.

His suspended death sentence is politically motivated. But normally he will get bail in 15-20 years if not earlier.

Well I heard that his negotiation skills help China get some essential and core technology. But you know, behind him is the whole country's billions of dollar support, that is where his confidence comes from when negotiating.
Actually, Liu Zhijun grew up from a root family. When he was very young, he has no political background and not a renowned family that could afford political contributions. He developed from a railway maintenance worker with the lowest payment even without insurance to a minister who is in charge of several trillions USD, he even had not attended middle school.... all the way he walked through and all his progress in political career is due to his father-in-law who is a senior government official.

How the top officials or prosecuted in China? I mean the procedure of filing complaints and conducting investigation... And how does it is ensured so that a person dont fall victim of political rivalry.........Here, in India things go very slowly (sometime case move on for decades) and rarely any minister or top official get punished...allegation against the officials from the opponents are very common too.

Thanks in advance..

Well I am not quite familiar with the law system. In China the highest rank government official who was prosecuted is someone like the chairman of Congress in western countries. I have to say that every top leaders such as ministers who was prosecuted is due to political rivalry, while lower rank officials are prosecuted by common people because of economic crimes.

Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of CCP is responsible for investigating government official crimes. It is a CCP department, not the government. Government has so many complicated procedures but CCP is not restricted to these regulations. This department of CCP has the authority to require the court to make many kind of judgement, but this department itself cannot make any judgement or sentence. So the process of prosecution, judgement and sentencing is very quick. Because the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection is the BOSS, once they decided you are guilty, you are absolutely game over, no exception.

bashir bharwlor should be hang to death then slaughter and then burn his shitty body... he looted and destroyed our railway ... wipe out his entire family:devil: good job CHINA:china:

That's true. But they need to make an example out of the high profile cases, otherwise the lower level local officials will not be afraid of punishment.

And people get PISSED off when they find out their local officials are corrupt. It's one of the biggest grievances.

That might be the main purpose.

As for common people get pissed off corruption, I would say common people are as guilty as government officials. When they want things done, they want to be ahead of other people, instead of standing in your queue! They use gifts, personal relationship etc to influence and ignore procedures, while government officials are happy to take bribe if given chance. Therefore, I have no sympathy towards most citizens and their whining is laughable when they will just be corrupted if they get a chance.

To me, corruption will never be reasonably controlled when the government and people do not respect rule of laws and do not know how to wait (a good example: Chinese passengers at airports wreak havoc whenever there is a delay).

That might be the main purpose.

As for common people get pissed off corruption, I would say common people are as guilty as government officials. When they want things done, they want to be ahead of other people, instead of standing in your queue! They use gifts, personal relationship etc to influence and ignore procedures, while government officials are happy to take bribe if given chance. Therefore, I have no sympathy towards most citizens and their whining is laughable when they will just be corrupted if they get a chance.

To me, corruption will never be reasonably controlled when the government and people do not respect rule of laws and do not know how to wait.

Public officials are held to a higher standard than a member of the general public, this is true in all countries. Because they are given power to act in the interest of the state.

Don't want to get imprisoned/executed? Don't abuse the power you have been given by becoming corrupt.

Personally, I have never bribed anybody ever. I don't think anyone would dare to bribe a HK Police officer, it would be an instant arrest.

The best way to prevent corruption is to privatize the entire China like what USA does. Then CEO can pay themselves billions. No one can blame anyone for corruption because this is market action.

Also bankers can go gambling and booking phantom profits and pay themselves billions. Eventually when banks explode tax payer bail out the bankers. No one is corrupt. This is free market.

I think China is corrupt. But there is a possibility that USA is even more corrupt. While China is corrupt, things get done. Optimistically, USA will only see a short Califonia HSR in 2030 after paying millions to posh consultant for viability studies.

There is a far worse systemic decay in western countries in China. Sometimes, it can puzzle me that the London Birmingham HSR will only open in 2026.

The only possible explanation is the west is being captured by a bunch of rentier elites.

The best way to prevent corruption is to privatize the entire China like what USA does. Then CEO can pay themselves billions. No one can blame anyone for corruption because this is market action.

Also bankers can go gambling and booking phantom profits and pay themselves billions. Eventually when banks explode tax payer bail out the bankers. No one is corrupt. This is free market.

I think China is corrupt. But there is a possibility that USA is even more corrupt. While China is corrupt, things get done. Optimistically, USA will only see a short Califonia HSR in 2030 after paying millions to posh consultant for viability studies.

This transition is happening which is why I think democracy will eventually be in China.

China's Rich unlike Russian are not all energy based. Look at the top Russian list.

China's Rich are manufacturing, and surprisingly Technology. Especially the technology people are getting more and more money and the government pretty much has no control on them than say manufacturing or oil. Though manufacturing creates jobs and any move to make people lose jobs is not going to be bad for the official. And one cannot simply let someone else take over unlike oil.

The Chinese people, these newly rich tech giants, are already demanding more and more freedom and power. The government cannot control them, and they are rich so their power though limited relative to their American counterparts are becoming more and more.

Whether this is a good transition remains to be seen, but it is happening and no one can stop it.

Not that simple. During the reform in late 1990s, corruption occurs when selling and disposing national assets to private, this is very common. For example, an iron mine that belongs to a national control company that is under bankrupt is worth 100 billions, but it was sold for only 0.3 billion when privatizing. Corruption exsists in every cornor of this political-business mixed market. Privatization alone may accelerate the corruption to some extent.

The point is that legislation protect private property right, strengthen corporate governance, integrate internal control with a mature business law.

What China really lacks is a fair ground for playing business game. Nothing is under protect or control. Either gov officials or CEOs have to embezzle to defend their interest, because the law does not work.

Back
Top Bottom