What's new

Cheap late night calling plans promoting vulgarity: PTA

Contrarian

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Cheap late night calling plans promoting vulgarity: Pakistan Telecommunication Authority

Pakistan's telecommunication watchdog has ordered mobile phone service providers to immediately discontinue packages offering cheap calls late at night because they promote "vulgarity" and go against the "values of the country".

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's telecommunication watchdog has ordered mobile phone service providers to immediately discontinue packages offering cheap calls late at night because they promote "vulgarity" and go against the "values of the country".

The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority issued the directive to mobile phone companies yesterday.

A statement issued by PTA said such packages were against "social norms" and the country's "values".

"We have received a number of complaints from the Supreme Court of Pakistan, the Standing Committee of the parliament, (parliamentarians) and subscribers regarding the promotion of vulgarity through such advertisements and have therefore asked cellular mobile operators to immediately discontinue such packages and to present compliance reports," said PTA Chairman Farooq Awan.

The action by PTA comes close on the heels of claims by religious and hardline groups that packages for cheap calls late at night were encouraging "illicit relations" between young boys and girls.

The matter has also been debated on the country's TV talk shows in the recent past.

Most of the mobile phone companies operating in Pakistan offer so-called "late night packages" that allow users to make calls at a fraction of the charges levied for calls during the day.

Pakistan's vocal users of social networking websites like Twitter and Facebook criticised the PTA's action, with some describing it as part of moves by authorities and hardliners to enforce "moral policing".

The PTA acted after it convened a meeting of regulatory heads of mobile phone firms, who "unanimously admitted" that their advertising was "not in line" with the moral values of society, the statement said.

According to PTA, one telecom company acknowledged during the meeting that it had issued a "warning letter" to service providers who sent out SMS messages to users to publicise the late night call packages.

The PTA said liberalisation and tough competition in the mobile market have pushed operators to introduce promotional packages.

As long as practices "against social norms" are not encouraged, operators are free to continue providing better services to users at affordable rates, it added.

The watchdog said it was cracking down on the packages under the Reorganisation Act of 1996, which gives it the power to regulate competition in the telecommunication sector, protect consumer rights and ensure that the interests of users are safeguarded.
Cheap late night calling plans promoting vulgarity: Pakistan Telecommunication Authority - The Times of India

Good Luck to PTA.

This reminds me of the story of King Canute. The march of technology cannot be stopped by mere orders like this.

King Canute on the Seashore
James Baldwin, The Book of Virtues

Long ago, England was ruled by a king named Canute. Like many leaders and men of power, Canute was surrounded by people who were always praising him. Every time he walked into a room, the flattery began.

"You are the greatest man that ever lived," one would say.

"O king, there can never be another as mighty as you," another would insist.

"Your highness, there is nothing you cannot do," someone would smile.

"Great Canute, you are the monarch of all," another would sing. "Nothing in this world dares to disobey you."

The king was a man of sense, and he grew tired of hearing such foolish speeches.

One day he was walking by the seashore, and his officers and courtiers were with him, praising him as usual. Canute decided to teach them a lesson.

"So you say I am the greatest man in the world?" he asked them.

"O king," they cried, "there never has been anyone as mighty as you, and there never be anyone so great, ever again!"

"And you say all things obey me?" Canute asked.

"Absolutely!" they said. "The world bows before you, and gives you honor."

"I see," the king answered. "In that case, bring me my chair, and we will go down to the water."

"At once, your majesty!" They scrambled to carry his royal chair over the sands.

"Bring it closer to the sea," Canute called. "Put it right here, right at the water's edge." He sat down and surveyed the ocean before him. "I notice the tide is coming in. Do you think it will stop if I give the command?"

His officers were puzzled, but they did not dare say no. "Give the order, O great king, and it will obey," one of then assured him.

"Very well. Sea," cried Canute, "I command you to come no further! Waves, stop your rolling!. Surf, stop your pounding! Do not dare touch my feet!"

He waited a moment, quietly, and a tiny wave rushed up the sand and lapped at his feet.

"How dare you!" Canute shouted. "Ocean, turn back now! I have ordered you to retreat before me, and now you must obey! Go back!"

And in answer another wave swept forward and curled around the king's feet. The tide came in, just as it always did. The water rose higher and higher. It came up around the king's chair, and wet not only his feet, but also his robe. His officers stood before him, alarmed, and wondering whether he was not mad.

"Well, my friends," Canute said, "it seems I do not have quite so much power as you would have me believe. Perhaps you have learned something today. Perhaps now you will remember there is only one King who is all-powerful, and it is he who rules the sea, and holds the ocean in the hollow of his hand. I suggest you reserve your praises for him."

The royal officers and courtiers hung their heads and looked foolish. And some say Canute took off his crown soon afterward, and never wore it again.

This is the first step towards all social networking bans that will be implemented in coming times.

They can certainly force telecom companies to drop late night cheap call packages. And that does have a major impact on consumer behaviour.

They can certainly force telecom companies to drop late night cheap call packages. And that does have a major impact on consumer behaviour.

Far from it, people have found something called Viber and whatsapp. :cheesy:
and smartphones are everywhere now.

Exactly. And if these venues are interfered with, new ones will evolve rapidly. There is no turning back the clock with these means of communication.

Far from it, people have found something called Viber and whatsapp. :cheesy:
and smartphones are everywhere now.

I asked my teen cousin regarding this, and he gave the exact same answer, Viber!!!:D

But on topic, this is a pretty poor excuse by PTA for banning this service. There are a million other things that are endangering our values and corrupting minds of the youth population.

This is going just like Rehman Malik's excuses, ban phones, ban motorcycles etc etc. This is just same as saying that because the suicide bombers hide their bombs under their shirts, ban wearing of shirts.

We have some real gems in our government.

pathetic.... Seems PTA has nothing better to do...

Tum din ko baat kar liya karna.....:P

On serious note.

PTA is becoming another mullah .... Freedom of Speech which was available to Pakistanis through internet and sms is now being contained slowly.... Soon we will also get arrested for writing "why ban motorcycles?"

I asked my teen cousin regarding this, and he gave the exact same answer, Viber!!!:D

But on topic, this is a pretty poor excuse by PTA for banning this service. There are a million other things that are endangering our values and corrupting minds of the youth population.

This is going just like Rehman Malik's excuses, ban phones, ban motorcycles etc etc. This is just same as saying that because the suicide bombers hide their bombs under their shirts, ban wearing of shirts.

We have some real gems in our government.

The more you'll try to keep men women away from each other the more they'll become vulgar..... and do the extreme on even slightest chance.....

Hath dho ke pyaar karne waalo ke peeche padi hai aapki sarkaar :lol:
And here i thought Pakistan was a democracy .

Social networking should be banned, useless time well waisted

if social networking is waste of time tu defence.pk sey degree milley gi kiya?

Hath dho ke pyaar karne waalo ke peeche padi hai aapki sarkaar :lol:
And here i thought Pakistan was a democracy .

Atleast we dont get arrested for clicking "like".

The more you'll try to keep men women away from each other the more they'll become vulgar..... and do the extreme on even slightest chance.....

Mohammad s.a.w.w farmaty hain jahan 1 mard aur aik aurat ho wahan 3sra shaitan hota hai. aur ap kehty ho dont keep them away.

mujhy pata hai is k bad ap nay bari baten karni hai laikin mujhy jitna pata hai woh pohonchany ka hukam hai. bhaly aik ayat he kun na ho. agar ahadith kahen gay to in sha ALLAH post kar don ga

Back
Top Bottom