What's new

Change of Capital (back to Karachi)

Should Capital of Pakistan be shifted?

• back to Karachi

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • A new city away from Pindi (new Islamabad)

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • keep Islamabad as capital city

Votes: 31 68.9%

• Total voters
Islamabad is doing perfect for a place as capital. No need to change it, it is ideal for location.
The city is safe, well designed and secure in case of a war breakout.

Karachi on the other hand, would be prime target of Air Force and Navy during any war breakout, which is nearer to the border and easier to access. Karachi, the financial hub of Pakistan is alas in hands and controls of biggest mafias which a lot of political and 'terrorizing' influence.

Another point is, the funding of transfer which would cost billions.

Having capital city in the geographical center of the country made sense in 18th and 19th century, not in 21st century.

You need a good administration to rule over a country effectively, not good location. Not to forget the costs will be huge.

1. The senior most PA officer at Partition Gen Akbar Khan (of ASC, not the RWP Conspiracy one) had submitted a paper to Jinnah wherein he had suggested Chittagong to be the capital. He had given some good reasons for his opinion. He had assumed Pakistan to include the Muslim dominated Andaman-Nicobar Islands and Arakan which was around 80% Muslim. He had reckoned Assam and Tripura would be part of the country. Therefore, the major part of Pakistan in population, resources, and area was to be the Eastern wing.

2. In the present Pakistan the geographical center and at a safe distance would be the abandoned British hill station adjacent to DIK. (Sorry I forget the name).The area west of the Indus would get an uplift and the Pashtuns and Baluchistanis would be better integrated.

3. However, Pakistan can ill afford to bear the expenses of a shift.

did you mean Fort Manru DGK ? or is there any other hill station in DIK ?

both are part of Seriki belt, yet DIK is in KP...#

in both ways your suggestion is the most reasonable...

Unless you want your capital to be ceased through a naval blockade in an event of a war. :rolleyes:

mah what an excellent point !!

on the very point, we have GHQ, SC and Parliament, President house at same place, is that not vulnerable to one air raid that will terminate all our top leadership ???

Not a very debated issue, but it was in suggestion to the present government, who considered shifting Capital city of the Federation back to Karachi, probably to avoid the undue influence and interference by country's establishment...

Karachi was chosen as Capital of Pakistan by Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah,

but later dictator Ayub shifted it to near GHQ pindi, and the new town was named Islamabad in 1962... since then its the capital of Pakistan...

what you guys have in mind, should it be shifted back to Karachi ? why and why not !!

your leader ship and reputation have not gone down the drain with this post?? do you think so??

Parliament, President house at same place, is that not vulnerable to one air raid that will terminate all our top leadership ???

I wish the vulnerability is breached for one good reason unlike the repeated breaches of drones.

did you mean Fort Manru DGK ? or is there any other hill station in DIK ?

both are part of Seriki belt, yet DIK is in KP...#

in both ways your suggestion is the most reasonable...

mah what an excellent point !!

on the very point, we have GHQ, SC and Parliament, President house at same place, is that not vulnerable to one air raid that will terminate all our top leadership ???

1. I remember the place. Sheikh Badin. Used to be the summer retreat of the British residing in DIK Cantt. In 60's I had gone on a trek there. There were couple of abandoned bungalows. But the place was cool and picturesque.

2. As a young man I used to feel then and do so now that the people of Baluchistan and PK would not have felt neglected or that Punjab was receiving more attention. There would be automatic development in the western part of Pakistan. Gwadar would have come up earlier with N-S arteries running west of the Indus.

3. Islamabad is a beautiful place and very well laid out by the Commission set up under Gen Yahya Khan. However, it is so much isolated from the common man Pakistani.

Islamabad is perfectly fine.

What is the motive behind changing Islamabad? Purposely built and planned city, nothing wrong with it.

And Quetta can still be well developed, capital or no capital.

I love Karachi. But there is no valid reason to shift the capital

I've never considered Islamabad a new city. The reason being it was just a suburb and part of Rawalpindi. Though I do agree financial capital needs to be separate from federal capital. However, if I had to choose I'd go with Gwadar. Endless possibilities there.

1. I remember the place. Sheikh Badin. Used to be the summer retreat of the British residing in DIK Cantt. In 60's I had gone on a trek there. There were couple of abandoned bungalows. But the place was cool and picturesque.

2. As a young man I used to feel then and do so now that the people of Baluchistan and PK would not have felt neglected or that Punjab was receiving more attention. There would be automatic development in the western part of Pakistan. Gwadar would have come up earlier with N-S arteries running west of the Indus.

3. Islamabad is a beautiful place and very well laid out by the Commission set up under Gen Yahya Khan. However, it is so much isolated from the common man Pakistani.

Exactly...

Khushab side or Soon Valley that is Sakasair is also a good and central place, though the top is occupied by PAF.

Islamabad is a cornered place, good for GHQ, but not so much for Capital... its a beautiful city, but Pakistan requires a new Capital City.... a city from scratch wont be a bad idea either.

Islamabad is doing a good job. No need to change.

but move the capital of balochistan to gawader.

The question of Islamabad being near GHQ is the one to ask?
Why did it need to be near the garrison of Rawalpindi?
Infact.. GHQ itself is in a wrong position.
However.. currently Islamabad is the most disconnected capital in the world.
Nothing of the rest of the country reflects on it.
Having lived in three provinces of this nation for prolonged periods.
I see none of them in Islamabad, just fake people.

karachi is today a city that embodies the character of every section of Pakistan.
You will find areas that remind you of lahore.. Peshawar.. and even Quetta.
You will see all..
the only people you find in Islamabad are usually Punjabis or Pathans... or the occasional Sindhi if PPP is in power.
Its not a good demographic representation and leads to the alienated feeling the rest of the country feels.

Perhaps we should devote our energies to solving real problems in Pakistan rather than kicking up non-issues like shifting capitals, creating provinces and renaming provinces. It's like an alcoholic who thinks all his problems will be solved if only he can find the right shirt.

Sorry to be blunt, but the last thing we need in Pakistan is to create yet more controversial issues.

I have not been to Karachi - Oscar has obviously got more experience by having personal feelings for the different cities but im in agreement with Developereo and feel the country should focus on eradicating issues that we have in abundance at the moment - it would literally cost a load to make a move right now and lets be honest by having a new capital will do nothing to improve the root issues we have in our nation.

Back
Top Bottom