What's new

Causes of Flood~ your opinion~

The Herald Scotland newspaper quoted a Pakistani journalist as saying that Pakistani policemen took bribes from the timber mafia in exchange for allowing them to fell trees.The forests, he said, have been "ruthlessly exploited" by law enforcement agencies , politicians and bureaucrats for their own vested interests.The logs were stacked in gorges, ravines and "nullahs," or steep narrow valleys. When torrential rains hit Pakistan, the force of the runoff from the country's tree-barren mountains propelled the logs, turning them into instrument of Destruction.
PAKISTANI paper Dawn Reported that 80 million trees had been cut down in the so-called protected Khebrani and Rais Mureed Forest in the three years leading up to this summer's floods. During that 36-month period, the forest had been reduced from nearly 20 square miles to barely 3 square miles."

Pakistan floods and the timber mafia - UPI.com

^^ Are you suggesting some thing?
Deforestation is wrong if it happened as keenly spotted by UPI (unknown press india).
I wonder how does it may have halted floods? hence i do not agree in blaming it with the current floods.
Any how in last three years our judiciary have issued many stay orders against the building safety walls in flooded areas upon request of landlords.
Since many farmers are dead it makes perfect opportunity to the landlords to grab land of poor people, since they do not live their or exist any more.
Land lords/politicians have been found breaking many existing flood safety walls.
This engineered flood was not possible without the participation of Pakistan's political partnership.

what are ur suggestion's to prevent frm further damage?

You did not mentioned, where did you learned that X-37 was spotted flying over South Africa?

Deforestation is wrong if it happened as keenly spotted by UPI (unknown press india).
I wonder how does it may have halted floods? hence i do not agree in blaming it with the current floods.

Any how in last three years our judiciary have issued many stay orders against the building safety walls in flooded areas upon request of landlords.
Since many farmers are dead it makes perfect opportunity to the landlords to grab land of poor people, since they do not live their or exist any more.
Land lords/politicians have been found breaking many existing flood safety walls.
This engineered flood was not possible without the participation of Pakistan's political partnership.

It does nt halt flood but avoids flood like conditions.

Here is a link, if you are willing to read.

Fewer trees = more floods?

Faulty work led to Taunsa breaches

LAHORE: The preliminary findings into whether human or natural factors were responsible for Taunsa Barrage breaches, the focus of super flood controversy, show that the right embankment of the barrage, strengthened and upgraded only recently (in 2008) to bear the water pressure of 10,00,000 cusecs after upgrading from earlier capacity of 700,000 cusecs, succumbed to a high peak flood of 960,000 cusecs which is less than its present designed capacity.

“Either the material was of poor quality or the design of repaired and upgraded embankment was faulty”, confided one of the officials who has been deputed by chief minister Punjab to hold inquiry into Taunsa Barrage fiasco without speaking on record at this stage.

Vast tracts of land and population on the left side of the mighty Indus were inundated by swollen river, giving rise to the speculation that it had been done to save the right side of the bank where affluent landlords cultivate.

Secretary Irrigation & Power (I&P) Department, Punjab Rab Nawaz when confronted with the crux of the issue corroborated the finding, conceding that man-made flaws added to the fury of the elements.
“Every barrage is designed with a built-in breaching section on one side and canals from the other side of the bank”, he told The News. “But Taunsa was an exception to the rule because two canals - Muzaffargarh Canal and Punjnad Canal - were drawn from one side and two more canals - DG Khan Canal and Kachi Canal - were dug out from the other side before the mighty waters hit the bulwark of Taunsa Barrage. As such, no breaching section had been planned for Taunsa”, he said. It was however believed that no flood could rise as high as to reach 1 million cusecs, which is the capacity of the re-designed Taunsa Barrage. It never did actually but newly built left bank gave away only after two years at its first testing of very high-level flow.

According to the findings, the main artery of the River Indus kept on flowing at high flood without causing damage to the surrounding embankments but the smaller artery of the Indus, which runs parallel to the main artery on its left side, was swollen to an extent that water pressed the left bank of Taunsa Barrage with a peak capacity of 960,000 cusecs and it caved in.

“Taunsa Barrage and its embankments, according to its designed maps, should have been able to withstand water pressure of 1 million cusecs. Peak water passed through Taunsa Barrage without damaging it but its left bank did not (withstand the pressure)”, Rab Nawaz conceded.

“A breach is made only when the barrage is endangered and that stage never arrived even if it had a breaching section”, he said, explaining with the help of data of Taunsa Barrage water scales.
Regarding the controversy that the left bank was deliberately breached, he said that main artery of the Indus, though remained in high flood, was not inundated. Hence, the right side of the Indus, technically called ‘pond area’ remained dry and unaffected to this day.
Investigation by this correspondent shows that landlords, the Khosas and other tribes, have been cultivating their lands on the right side of the Indus. The lands had been given on lease in 1997 by the then government of the Pakistan Muslim League. Office files of the Irrigation and Power Department, Punjab show that the department had opposed leasing of ‘pond areas’ to the influential landlords on both sides of the Indus in southern Punjab at that time. But then the political government had its way and the lands were leased.

In 2003, the next government cancelled the leases because it could be dangerous during heavy monsoons when rivers swell and pond areas absorb floodwaters. Since then, the I&P Department has been facing litigation in courts of law. It has won some cases but there are still some cases pending in courts. Officials of the I&P Department hesitantly confirm that the lands even in cases won by the department remain in control (read Qabza) of the landowners. Another increasing feature of the background is that according to the record of the I&P Department, names of the real landowners are different from those who possess this highly fertile belt.

As luck would have it, the thrust of the floodwater was not in the main artery, which is on the right side. It had its way through the smaller artery, the second creek, which is on the left side of the mighty Indus.

The Secretary, I&P, is the first person to have been contacted by the influential people but he boldly refuted the reports that any of the landlords ever approached him for saving their lands by causing breaches on the other lands.

“If I were tried to be influenced, I could have resisted come what may”, he said, “but that stage never came actually”, he said. “If the I&P Department could oppose a powerful government in 1997 it could withstand any pressure even now”, he told The News.
Discussing media reports that a peak of super flood passed over the top of the embankment Rab Nawaz said, “It’s just a speculation.” “Nobody bothered to check the facts from the right person and I am the right person”, he said. “We have the data on record, even on the website of the department”, but nobody checked. There are comparisons being made between the present high peak with the past monsoon floods. A peak flood of 917,000 cusecs passed from Kalabagh point safe in 1942. In 1976 a peak flood of 1149,000 cusecs ran through Guddu Barrage with a built-in capacity of 1200,000 cusecs without causing any potential damage. But in 2010 a peak flow of 960,000 cusecs at Taunsa has caused vast damage.

The I&P Department’s engineers, when confronted with the figures, said that much water had flown down the rivers in more than 30 years and “most of the barrages had already lived their lives and their strengthening and augmentation had been overdue”. They said that Project Management Office of the department was responsible for repairing and upgrading of the barrages in a phased programme.
In fact, Taunsa was the first in line for the up-gradation, which was done in 2008. Work on other barrages is going at a snail’s pace due to paucity of funds. A series of spurs and bunds were built on both sides of the bank.

The investigation shows that human hands have indeed been responsible in exacerbating the floods. Those who were responsible for poor quality of construction or flaws in designs must be taken to task, officials of the department concede. Had the bank been sturdy and tough enough according to its capacity so the fury of the elements could have been minimised.

In terms of loss of human lives, the death toll in high flood of 1950 stood at 2,910, in 1992 it was 1,834 and in 2010 it is 1,752 so far. Though the loss in terms of figures of human lives has been less comparatively, the damage to property and crops has been greater and dislocation of people is more debilitating than ever before.

http://thenews.com.pk/08-09-2010/National/3740.htm

Finally, rescue for the landlords....
They can even force UN to write report as they wish what value does a local inquiry hold while convicted landlords are the idol gods of every institution.
Every govt. officer is hand picked and we have seen what happened to the HEC chairman for verifying fake degrees!!!
It was the same land lords which got stay orders from hand picked judiciary against building safety walls in flooded ares.

trees prevent sediment runoff and forests hold and use more water than farms or grasslands.
Trees control the side effects of Run off and prevent soil frm erosion.

Back
Top Bottom