What's new

Caste killing exposes India's secret shame

S_O_C_O_M

Reaction score
Caste killing exposes India's secret shame​

Amanda Hodge

A MERE 100km from the shiny malls and housing estates of New Delhi, three upper-caste men murdered a Dalit labourer this week for refusing to obey an ancient feudal law demanding he toil their land for free.

The body of 42-year-old Karam Chand was then paraded on a bicycle through the village of Nirgajani, in Uttar Pradesh, as a macabre warning to other "untouchables" that the writ of a modern state did not extend into the heart of rural India.

The system of begari -- in which low-caste Indians were obliged to provide unpaid labour to landed classes -- was officially outlawed by the Indian government in 1976.

But Chand's death this week was a grim reminder that another, less shiny India -- a country of poverty, medievalism and caste brutality -- continues to exist despite the best efforts and indignation of India's administrative class.

The crime is shocking enough, but perhaps more so because it occurred in a state ruled by Mayawati -- India's only Dalit chief minister -- a woman devoted to the emancipation of India's long-abused underclass.

Indian sociologist and caste crime expert Prem Chowdhry says the very fact the crime received national media coverage is an indication of social progress in India.

"Where earlier such attacks would have gone unreported, exposure of these crimes is really unprecedented today and that's very healthy," Professor Chowdhry said.

But, she added, crimes against Dalits and other low-caste Indians were on the rise as a violent expression of the insecurities of India's landed classes in the face of rapid modernisation.

"Unfortunately the strictures of society have not kept pace with our economy and these atrocities against Dalits are an indication of the insecurities felt by the landed classes in the face of that change.

"Also the Dalits are asserting themselves and are refusing to take these atrocities inflicted upon them and that has angered the upper castes."

According to reports this week, Chand was attacked after refusing the demands of three brothers -- former employers -- to help harvest a wheat crop.

Chand's son Monu, who was working alongside his father on their own land when the attack occurred, said: "My father refused them because they didn't pay him anything for earlier work. They had declared that we would have to follow their order or leave the village."

When he refused, the trio attacked, chasing Chand into a temple, where he was shot. "They hauled his dead body on to a bicycle and took out a procession. They were shouting that anyone who defied their order would be killed," said Monu.

While local police spokesman Jawahar Singh confirmed the son's account, he insisted "such incidents are far and few between".

But he conceded the village was predominantly a stronghold of the Jat caste, a group which continues to defend the caste Panchayat system of local governance, which doles out summary justice, such as honour killings, for alleged caste crimes.

Caste killing exposes India's secret shame | The Australian

"The Australian" strikes back against India.

On topic: Pretty sad that he was killed just for being in a lower caste.

it is called state of denial, particular characteristic associated with Indians.

No one is living in denial. I wouldn't be surprised if indianpatriot and other Indians like him who are on this forum really hasn't come across any such prejudice. Its because this outdated "casteism" is long gone from the educated and literate Indian populace( people on the internet). Problem is in certain backward and illiterate areas.

But Chand's death this week was a grim reminder that another, less shiny India -- a country of poverty, medievalism and caste brutality -- continues to exist despite the best efforts and indignation of India's administrative class.

The crime is shocking enough, but perhaps more so because it occurred in a state ruled by Mayawati -- India's only Dalit chief minister -- a woman devoted to the emancipation of India's long-abused underclass.

Indian sociologist and caste crime expert Prem Chowdhry says the very fact the crime received national media coverage is an indication of social progress in India. Where earlier such attacks would have gone unreported, exposure of these crimes is really unprecedented today and that's very healthy.

I mean if this ^^^ doesn't highlight the improvement in Indian society then I don't know what does. There is obviously space for more improvement, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

No one is living in denial. I wouldn't be surprised if indianpatriot and other Indians like him who are on this forum really hasn't come across any such prejudice. Its because this outdated "casteism" is long gone from the educated and literate Indian populace( people on the internet). Problem is in certain backward and illiterate areas.

I mean if this ^^^ doesn't highlight the improvement in Indian society then I don't know what does. There is obviously space for more improvement, but at least we are moving in the right direction.

the core problem is majority of india is in this state. if you realize and look at indian patriot's statement, he himself is making fun of himself.

the core problem is majority of india is in this state. if you realize and look at indian patriot's statement, he himself is making fun of himself.

How do you mean, that majority of India is in this state? And I fail to see how he was making fun of himself?

It is no secret shame as the author has portrayed. Most of us know that the cast based discrimination is still prevalent in certain pockets in India, where education levels are really low. I personally have seen this practice fade away.. but few faggots still remain in certain areas who are led to believe that they are the better blood. Such people should be stripped and dragged naked on the streets.

Hang all three to death.

How do you mean, that majority of India is in this state? And I fail to see how he was making fun of himself?

okay, majority of indians are having a great life, and by all means its a developed country and not a third world country. HAPPY ?

Even though things like these happen in india.its frequency is much less than the number of bomb explosions in pakistan

okay, majority of indians are having a great life, and by all means its a developed country and not a third world country. HAPPY ?

Never mind, and I thought I was having a civilized conversation here, spare me your cynicism and next time try making sense. And if thats too much to ask, at least have the courtesy to clarify the "point" you are trying to make.

. Its because this outdated "casteism" is long gone from the educated and literate Indian populace( people on the internet). Problem is in certain backward and illiterate areas.

Which is 3/4 of india or 700,000,000 indians. Unless you can talk out of your rear and say these people comined who are poorer than africa and do not have toilets are very kind to each other. :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 01:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:11 AM ----------

. Its because this outdated "casteism" is long gone from the educated and literate Indian populace( people on the internet). Problem is in certain backward and illiterate areas.

Which is 3/4 of india or 700,000,000 indians. Unless you can talk out of your rear and say these people combined who are poorer than africa and do not have toilets are very kind to each other. :rolleyes:

Which is 3/4 of india or 700,000,000 indians. Unless you can talk out of your rear and say these people comined who are poorer than africa and do not have toilets are very kind to each other. :rolleyes:

And what have I done to you to warrant such hostility?

And yes hate to tell you that poor people can be kind too:disagree: It has got nothing to do with poverty, cause remember its the higher caste people who are the "oppressors"? And most of them are well off and thankfully majority of them are now educated too which is why we see a steady decline in this caste based discrimination.

Never mind, and I thought I was having a civilized conversation here, spare me your cynicism and next time try making sense. And if thats too much to ask, at least have the courtesy to clarify the "point" you are trying to make.

I had no doubts that I was talking to an uncivilized, non cultured person, and unwise person.

care to get out of state of denial and see india beyond your class.

I had no doubts that I was talking to an uncivilized, non cultured person, and unwise person.

care to get out of state of denial and see india beyond your class.

:lol: What now? Why is everyone on PDF trying to get into an argument with me? I was not trying to fight you mate. Anyways thanks for telling me a lot of things about me, would have never found out if it wasn't for you?:enjoy:

Back
Top Bottom