What's new

British didn't colonize Hong Kong People

And of course you would have no problem if the british ruled a little island of the coast of india which had a few tamil fisherman living there and which then saw an influx of migrant indian workers under british rule?

Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42)

In 1841, a rough outline for a treaty was sent for the guidance of Plenipotentiary Charles Elliot. It had a blank after the words "the cession of the islands of _____". Pottinger sent this old draft treaty on shore, with the letter s struck out of islands and the words Hong Kong placed after it.[3] Robert Montgomery Martin, treasurer of Hong Kong, wrote in an official report:

The terms of peace having been read, Elepoo the senior commissioner paused, expecting something more, and at length said "is that all?" Mr. Morrison enquired of Lieutenant-colonel Malcolm if there was anything else, and being answered in the negative, Elepoo immediately and with great tact closed the negotiation by saying, "all shall be granted—it is settled—it is finished."[3]

The Qing government agreed to make Hong Kong Island a crown colony, ceding it to the British Queen "in perpetuity" ( in Chinese version) to provide British traders with a harbour where they could unload their goods (Article III). Pottinger was later appointed the first governor of Hong Kong.

The british signed the treaty with the Qing Govt and not the Tanka fishermen and Hakka charcoal burners.

And the british colony was part of china way longer then it was part of the british empire.
And of course you would have no problem if the british ruled a little island of the coast of india which had a few tamil fisherman living there and which then saw an influx of migrant indian workers under british rule?

Hong Kong became a colony of the British Empire after the First Opium War (1839–42)

In 1841, a rough outline for a treaty was sent for the guidance of Plenipotentiary Charles Elliot. It had a blank after the words "the cession of the islands of _____". Pottinger sent this old draft treaty on shore, with the letter s struck out of islands and the words Hong Kong placed after it.[3] Robert Montgomery Martin, treasurer of Hong Kong, wrote in an official report:

The terms of peace having been read, Elepoo the senior commissioner paused, expecting something more, and at length said "is that all?" Mr. Morrison enquired of Lieutenant-colonel Malcolm if there was anything else, and being answered in the negative, Elepoo immediately and with great tact closed the negotiation by saying, "all shall be granted—it is settled—it is finished."[3]

The Qing government agreed to make Hong Kong Island a crown colony, ceding it to the British Queen "in perpetuity" ( in Chinese version) to provide British traders with a harbour where they could unload their goods (Article III). Pottinger was later appointed the first governor of Hong Kong.

The british signed the treaty with the Qing Govt and not the Tanka fishermen and Hakka charcoal burners.

And the british colony was part of china way longer then it was part of the british empire.

They could colonize a piece of rock with no value for all I care but if they take over a population with at least 100,000 people than that's different.

Portuguese settlement/colony was in Macau long before the British settlement/colony but Macau was not under Portuguese empire rule, it was rented out to them with money and so they needed to pay 100 taels of silver and pay tributes often to the Qing dynasty it was basically under Han Chinese sovereignty and authority. It only became under portugese empire rule in 1887

Any opinion?

Do you still think it's correct to say Hong Kong people were colonized by British? I just find it so strange to make claims about being colonized when they basically immigrated there to be ruled under british law and government
They could colonize a piece of rock with no value for all I care but if they take over a population with at least 100,000 people than that's different.

Portuguese settlement/colony was in Macau long before the British settlement/colony but Macau was not under Portuguese empire rule, it was rented out to them with money and so they needed to pay 100 taels of silver and pay tributes often to the Qing dynasty it was basically under Han Chinese sovereignty and authority. It only became under portugese empire rule in 1887

You surprised me here with some good knowledge of history. Though in other posts, you left me speechless.

Are you real indian hong konger? Where do u live in hong kong?

Yes I'm Indian Hong Konger!

But I don't live in Hong Kong today.... I live in the U.K.

My mother came from India but was born in the U.K but my father is from Hong Kong. My mother side's grandparents and most the cousins live in India/Delhi though.

Back
Top Bottom