What's new

Break Down of IAF Su-30MKI orders since 1996: PK Sengupta

@sancho

Sancho, but weren't the MKIs ordered in 2007 and 2011 belong to standard MKI variant and the "Super-30" (not super sukhoi) variant?

The tally until that point reached 272 alright. But the deal for 42 MKIs signed during Putin's visit a few days ago is for the fully-upgraded Super-MKI variant that is still to be developed, no?

From what I believe the Super-30 have already been inducted, while Super-Sukhoi will come only by 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
@sancho

Sancho, but weren't the MKIs ordered in 2007 and 2011 belong to standard MKI variant and the "Super-30" (not super sukhoi) variant?

The tally until that point reached 272 alright. But the deal for 42 MKIs signed during Putin's visit a few days ago is for the fully-upgraded Super-MKI variant that is still to be developed, no?

From what I believe the Super-30 have already been inducted, while Super-Sukhoi will come only by 2014.

272 or 314 .. what difference does it make.. they are hell of a fighter !! And for their potential, even 270 is a lot.
SO if it is what you claim to be than it will an icing on the cake !!

272.300 is overkill when rafale and pakfa, lca are coming.

My guess is, that these additional 40 will also replace the upgraded Mig 27 till 2017, earlier as expected, but the easiest and best way to do it. MKI in general was replacing Mig 23 and Mig 27 in numbers and roles, so that would makes sense, since the weapons of the older squads can be used by the MKIs as well.

@sancho

As I said, the Super 30 upgrade is still not fixed so far, the agreement (not order) in 2011 was only leading to the contracts signed now by President Putin and MMS, they didn't signed anything in 2011!
The additional 40 from 2007 are normal MKIs and coming in now, while this new deal will be added to the end of HALs productionline, expected delivery between 2015 and 2017. At the same time HAL will also start to upgrade older MKIs to the same level as the newer once.

My guess is, that these additional 40 will also replace the upgraded Mig 27 till 2017, earlier as expected, but the easiest and best way to do it. MKI in general was replacing Mig 23 and Mig 27 in numbers and roles, so that would makes sense, since the weapons of the older squads can be used by the MKIs as well.
@sancho, din't got u here, pls explain, u r saying the final nos. are 272, right?? & what with mig 27, i think they will be in service till 2020 or so, since there retirement by 2017 can mean huge gap in nos. as mig-21s will also get retired.

+ timeline of complete 272 sukhois is 2017??

@sancho, din't got u here, pls explain, u r saying the final nos. are 272, right?? & what with mig 27, i think they will be in service till 2020 or so, since there retirement by 2017 can mean huge gap in nos. as mig-21s will also get retired.

+ timeline of complete 272 sukhois is 2017??

According to the last official reports, all Mig 21s (mostlikely except the BISONS) and all Mig 27s will be phased out till 2017. All 272 (actually 271 - the one that was lost later) will be inducted till 2017. Since the Mig 27 fleet has constant problems with the engines, it might be, that the 32 x upgraded Mig 27 (+ Mig 23 trainers) will be phased out with these additional Super 30s, although it was expected that they will remain in service beyond 2020, when FGFA would be coming in.
We will have a gap for sure, but mainly because the Mig 21s can't be replaced in equal numbers by LCA and MMRCA in time. Roughly 150 x Mig 21s will be gone till 2017, while only 40 x LCA and probably another 36 x Rafales will be added by that time.

^^ Sir i think iT will be better to reduce the number of jets in squadron to 16 to maintain the minimum number of squadrons in IaF the to put the lives of our pilot in danger....Btw IAF official himself informed the press that all the the Migs except Mig 29's will be phased out by 2017......

IAF planning to phase out MiG-27 combat planes by 2017 - Indian Express

On Topic

I seriously don't understand how in the hell he call himself a defence analyst when he don't even know the actual number of Su 30Mki ordered of IAF....

According to the last official reports, all Mig 21s (mostlikely except the BISONS) and all Mig 27s will be phased out till 2017. All 272 (actually 271 - the one that was lost later) will be inducted till 2017. Since the Mig 27 fleet has constant problems with the engines, it might be, that the 32 x upgraded Mig 27 (+ Mig 23 trainers) will be phased out with these additional Super 30s, although it was expected that they will remain in service beyond 2020, when FGFA would be coming in.
We will have a gap for sure, but mainly because the Mig 21s can't be replaced in equal numbers by LCA and MMRCA in time. Roughly 150 x Mig 21s will be gone till 2017, while only 40 x LCA and probably another 36 x Rafales will be added by that time.

Yes u r right.

80 mig-27 & 153 mig-21s will all be retired by 2017 = 233 ac

& the replacements will be around 100 su-30mki's + around 40 Rafale & 40 LCA = 180 ac

IAF will still face a shortage of around 50-60 ac but the replacements will be 4-5 times more capable aircraft.

P.S. Of all the retired planes, some will still be kept as RESERVES.

^^ Sir i think iT will be better to reduce the number of jets in squadron to 16 to maintain the minimum number of squadrons in IaF the to put the lives of our pilot in danger

Why?? what purpose the reduction in no. of ac in a squadron serve??

It's like saying if we can't win a 200mt race, we should make it a 100mt one.

IAF is short in ac nos. we have to FIX IT asap.

+ @sancho do u think that post-2017 IAF will turn into an all 4th gen AF or Jaguars are the hindrance, has jaguar upgrades bring it closer to 4th gen ac??

Oh crap! I always thought of converting Mig-27s into jamming platforms.

Additional LCAs or Su-30MKIs with state of the art EW systems are better in that role...we can convert
some 20 ac for this role, should IAF want such an EW aircraft.

HAL had delivered 119 MKI's and Russia has delivered 50 MKI's(18 MK's which were returned were replaced with brand new MKI's).

HAL Statement: Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) signed a contract for 42 numbers of Su-30 MKI frontline Fighter Aircraft with the Ministry of Defence and Russian firm Rosoboronexport in New Delhi today. "HAL's total responsibility for this supersonic multirole aircraft has now gone up to 222. This will further boost our confidence and operations as we have already delivered 119 Su-30 aircraft to the Air Force. We will continue to contribute to the country's defence preparedness", says Dr. R. K. Tyagi, Chairman, HAL. The deal was inked by Dr. Tyagi on behalf of HAL with the Ministry of Defence. Mr. S. Subramanyan, Managing Director of HAL's MiG Complex signed the contract with Mr. A. A. Mikheev, Deputy General Director of Rosobornexport

Source:Livefist.

+ @sancho do u think that post-2017 IAF will turn into an all 4th gen AF or Jaguars are the hindrance, has jaguar upgrades bring it closer to 4th gen ac??

Not the Jags won't be 4th gen fighters, because they remain single role ground attack fighters only and as I often say, they will be next to useless even by 2017. When armed Rustom will arrive or even Aura, they will be completely useless.

Not the Jags won't be 4th gen fighters, because they remain single role ground attack fighters only and as I often say, they will be next to useless even by 2017. When armed Rustom will arrive or even Aura, they will be completely useless.

Sancho but we need an ac for carrying CALCMs like 750-km Nirbhay-Mini no? We should keep atleast 36 Jags
in service.

AURA, Rustom can't carry these cruise missiles.

Sancho but we need an ac for carrying CALCMs like 750-km Nirbhay-Mini no? We should keep atleast 36 Jags
in service.

AURA, Rustom can't carry these cruise missiles.

We don't need( I mean depend on ) Jags to do that. MKI's can carry double the load and good in A2A ROLE too.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom