What's new

Bhagat Singh Terrorist or freedom fighter????

@scorpionx @Spring Onion @KingMamba

Hey guys why don`t we look at it this way :

Gandhi and Nehru strongly condemned this act of Bhagat Singh as madness and lunacy , On the other hand Mr. Jinnah , while distancing himself from violent methods , defended "terrorist "Bhagat Singh and other revolutionaries in the legislative assembly and blamed the British rulers for driving the young patriots to adopt such means !!!

Nehru denounced the young men (Bhagat Singh and his comrades) as lunatics and their actions as the work of lunatics ! The young men in the court parenthetically retorted that they were not lunatics , but believed in using all weapons to wrest freedom from alien yoke (Though Nehru repented later and applauded their courage)
(See C.S.Ranga Iyer, India--peace or war , Bombay 1930 , p.230)

Gandhi wrote in Young India on 18 April 1929 that congressmen should not give even secret approval to the deed and condemned the action of Bhagat Singh as madness
(Young India , 31 january 1929)

When Bhagat Singh threw a bomb in the assembly , there was a terrible deafening explosion . All the members started fleeing in terror . Only 3 to 4 people seemed to keep their wits about them , One of them was Jinnah who remained in his seat
(Corrine Friend , Yashpal looks back , New Delhi 1981 , p.52)

Still Jinnah spoke in favour of these revolutionaries in the Assembly on 12 September 1929 :

I think I am speaking on behalf of a very large body of people , when I say that , if there is sympathy and admiration of the accused , it is only to this extent that they are victims to system of government .
.... The government goes to war against these young men . They seem to me in this frame of mind `we will pursue every possible course , every possible method , but will see that you are either sent to the gallows or transported for life and in the mean time we will not treat you as decent men `

It is the system , this damnable system of government ,which is resented by the people ... But remember there are thousands of people outside [legislature]. This is not the only country where these actions are resorted to . It has happened in other countries , not youth , but the grey bearded men have committed serious offenses moved by patriotic impulses

(Legislative Assembly Debates , 12 Sept 1929 , Vol. IV , p 752-753)

Jinnah further said :

Do you not realise yourself if you open your eyes , that there is resentment , universal resentment against your policy , against your programme .. Behave as a human and decent Government and that is enough for you .
(Legislative Assembly Debates , 12 Sept 1929 , Vol. IV , p 763-764)

Jnnah was right that British drove them to the act but Bhagat was still a terrorist.

Jnnah was right that British drove them to the act but Bhagat was still a terrorist.

So you mean to say that Jinnah was sympathizing with the terrorists ???
Young men who are victim of tyrannical system , when resort to violence (under patriotic impulses) as Jinnah said , are not terrorists my friend !!!

So you mean to say that Jinnah was sympathizing with the terrorists ???
Young men who are victim of tyrannical system , when resort to violence (under patriotic impulses) as Jinnah said , are not terrorists my friend !!!

Just because Jinnah said something doesn't mean it is 100% truth.

@scorpionx @Spring Onion @KingMamba

Hey guys why don`t we look at it this way :

Gandhi and Nehru strongly condemned this act of Bhagat Singh as madness and lunacy , On the other hand Mr. Jinnah , while distancing himself from violent methods , defended "terrorist "Bhagat Singh and other revolutionaries in the legislative assembly and blamed the British rulers for driving the young patriots to adopt such means !!!

Nehru denounced the young men (Bhagat Singh and his comrades) as lunatics and their actions as the work of lunatics ! The young men in the court parenthetically retorted that they were not lunatics , but believed in using all weapons to wrest freedom from alien yoke (Though Nehru repented later and applauded their courage)
(See C.S.Ranga Iyer, India--peace or war , Bombay 1930 , p.230)

Gandhi wrote in Young India on 18 April 1929 that congressmen should not give even secret approval to the deed and condemned the action of Bhagat Singh as madness
(Young India , 31 january 1929)

When Bhagat Singh threw a bomb in the assembly , there was a terrible deafening explosion . All the members started fleeing in terror . Only 3 to 4 people seemed to keep their wits about them , One of them was Jinnah who remained in his seat
(Corrine Friend , Yashpal looks back , New Delhi 1981 , p.52)

Still Jinnah spoke in favour of these revolutionaries in the Assembly on 12 September 1929 :

I think I am speaking on behalf of a very large body of people , when I say that , if there is sympathy and admiration of the accused , it is only to this extent that they are victims to system of government .
.... The government goes to war against these young men . They seem to me in this frame of mind `we will pursue every possible course , every possible method , but will see that you are either sent to the gallows or transported for life and in the mean time we will not treat you as decent men `

It is the system , this damnable system of government ,which is resented by the people ... But remember there are thousands of people outside [legislature]. This is not the only country where these actions are resorted to . It has happened in other countries , not youth , but the grey bearded men have committed serious offenses moved by patriotic impulses

(Legislative Assembly Debates , 12 Sept 1929 , Vol. IV , p 752-753)

Jinnah further said :

Do you not realise yourself if you open your eyes , that there is resentment , universal resentment against your policy , against your programme .. Behave as a human and decent Government and that is enough for you .
(Legislative Assembly Debates , 12 Sept 1929 , Vol. IV , p 763-764)
Gandhi and Nehru were British slaves. Although Gandhi had good intentions, it was Nehru that misguided him. India desperately needed a man like Jinnah who was idealistic, ambitious and fair but unfortunately we got that slave Nehru. I will always be grateful to Jinnah for his protection of Hindus.

Bhagat Singh and others were terrorist in front of Brit rulers ... Now same role is being played by India and calls terrorist to Kashmiri freedom fighters .............

What the height of Indian hypocrisy ..............

He fought for you and your people

I wouldn't call him a terrorist, yes his way was violent, but then again the British weren't all that peace loving either. He was forced to act in such way. On the other hand Gandhi and Nehru had different process all together. They wanted a peaceful solution to the problem, since taking up arms will only result in a massacre of people who oppose the British. Which had been proven many times before. Both Gandhi and Bhagat Singh were after the same goal, they just had different methods.

I think he was wrong, if you must past a non patriot fatwa by all means. :D

No he wasn`t wrong , It`s just that zeyada dair Mullahs k zer e saya rehnay ki wajah se we have become hypocrites like them ;)

No he wasn`t wrong , It`s just that zeyada dair Mullahs k zer e saya rehnay ki wajah se we have become hypocrites like them ;)

Arre bhai mulleh amreeka meh toh nai hain hota toh hum aap jhuto ke saat pheet te. ;)

Why you bring up irrelevant things, this is about Bhagat the terrorist not tableeghi jamat.

Relax yara , I believe that all deoband Mullahs are either hypocrites , or terrorists , and Bhagat Singh was a patriot . For you Bhagat was a terrorist and Mullahs may be patriots . And I have no problem with your personal views , apko bhi nahi honi chahiyay bhai :)

Fair enough just proves your double standards, you cannot pick and choose the definition of terrorist when it suits you. Have a good day.
Double Standards!! Oh! Off course it was quite obvious from the beginning that Kashmir Issue will be brought to defend your argument. I was thinking to continue this discussion without abusing the sovereignty of each other's state, unfortunately it was not your choice and I can't help it.

@Azlan Haider

There was a reason I did not quote Mr.Jinnah in the beginning itself. He viciously condemned the amendment on Criminal Procedure Code. And he said "The man who goes on hunger strike has a soul. He is moved by that soul and he believes in the justice of his cause; he is not an ordinary criminal who is guilty of cold-blooded, sordid, wicked crime.”

But at the same time he also said, “I do not approve of the action of Bhagat Singh… I regret that, rightly or wrongly, youth today in India is stirred up, and you cannot, when you have 300 and odd millions of people, you cannot prevent such crimes from being committed, however much you deplore them and however much you may say that they are misguided. It is the system, this damnable system of government, which is resented by the people.”

From the above comment, I couldn't have defended Bhagat Singh from being labelled as a terrorist. Bhagat Singh's action might be wrong or it might not be so. To me killing an administrative representative from a foreign country who is accused of killing thousands of my fellow countrymen is not an act of terrorism. And I am quite amazed how feeble arguments are being brought up by comparing an act against a colonial regime with an act against a sovereign state, without understanding it's deeper implications.

Last edited:
Gandhi and Nehru were British slaves. Although Gandhi had good intentions, it was Nehru that misguided him. India desperately needed a man like Jinnah who was idealistic, ambitious and fair but unfortunately we got that slave Nehru. I will always be grateful to Jinnah for his protection of Hindus.

Your comment sounds too artificial.

Back
Top Bottom