What's new

Bangladesh tops Lonely Planet's 'Best-Value Destinations 2011'

Really good hear this news, and positive replies to the post. Hope you all visit our great country sometime!

Eastwatch,date juice i think is not appropriate wording for gur.i may be wrong too.btw,i think khejurer ros of early mornings,is popular in bd villages also.its so cold and great!

Khejurer ros is really great. But you absolutely have to drink it early in the morning (or late in the afternoon). Later in the morning will get you stomach problems.

Late in the afternoon will get you a buzz !! :D

I never had refrigerated or packaged ( if there is any) one, so don't know how that tastes.

Eastwatch,date juice i think is not appropriate wording for gur.i may be wrong too.btw,i think khejurer ros of early mornings,is popular in bd villages also.its so cold and great!

Yes, you are very right about what you have said about date juice and Khejurer gur. But, the thing is, it is very difficult to convey the non-Bangla speakers about this gur which is made of Date Juice.

What I wanted to say is, in our villages, the Date juice is boiled for a long time to evaporate the water and the resulting thing is a thick Khejurer Rash or Rosh. Our housewives make a kind of PITHA made of rice flour and is named CHITA PITHA. It can be eaten with, say, chicken curry when it is hot.

But, the other method of eating this item is to keep it immersed in the thick Khejurer Rosh for an entire night. This process makes another PITHA, named VIJANO (CHITA) PITHA. This item is eaten next day, it is no more hard as it was in the previous day. It is very soft and could be the most delicious and flavourous sweet PITHA made of Khejurer Rosh.

Most of the town people have no luck to taste these two types and many other types of Pithas now-a-days. May be, the town dwellers will find these items in the nearby Super markets when an innovative factory starts churning out these Pithas from its horrible oil-soaked machines. How about the taste of these factory-made Pithas! I just do not know, but town people will perhaps like it, because they do not know the taste of the real ones.

Last edited:
We are not getting good quality Nolen Gur in Kolkata anymore. So Pithe, Puli & Payesh are suffering badly.

On Topic:
I firmly believe food is an important factor to influence potential tourists. Bangladesh is having such a heritage of excellent cuisine which should be aggressively marketed (similar to French & Italians) along with its tourist destinations.

Anyone here have any experience with Tari? ;)

Tari is to intoxicate people. It is made from Palm Juice or Taler Rosh. Extraction process of this juice is similar to Khejurer Rosh. But, to turn it to Tari, perhaps a little CHUN or lime is mixed with it. Someone experienced can shed more light on it.

By the way, has someone ever tasted Shom Rosh, a kind of bitter wine, and, is extracted from another type of (Palm-looking) small trees in or near Cox's Bazaar.

Ya i have. There is a bar one km away from my house where they sell tari. I have had once. Result, i was laying bed for a week. U know it's very cold.

Yes, though "Tari/Toddy" tastes different in different parts of the world. Probably has something to with the fact that palm trees have slightly different characteristics depending on the local soil and climatic conditions. This is the biggest cause of the difference apart from how it is stored etc.

On a similar note, the water from green tender coconuts also tastes different, e.g. from on the sandy beach areas to the coconut trees further inland in proximity to fresher/less saline waters; according to my experience.

IMO. the strongest toddy i've had was in Sri Lanka. Real "head-banger" without a hangover.

We are not getting good quality Nolen Gur in Kolkata anymore. So Pithe, Puli & Payesh are suffering badly.

On Topic:
I firmly believe food is an important factor to influence potential tourists. Bangladesh is having such a heritage of excellent cuisine which should be aggressively marketed (similar to French & Italians) along with its tourist destinations.

Why so? That is a very serious matter --- needs a JPC to investigate!
But seriously, it is an extremely serious matter, its the very soul of good kheer/payasam/payesh/rice pudding. Not to mention the effect on other sweets like sandesh.

Hope Mamata didi puts this matter first on her agenda? :)

Just one thing from there; the Gur/Jaggery (Molasses) made from DATE JUICE. When people talk about the taste of Chocolates, i tell them about that Gur. :smitten:
Unfortunately can't get it whenever i'd like to. :cry:

I'm surprised, Capt.Popeye. Gur is available at almost all Indian grocery stores in Canada. I'm sure you know that it's very good for health. :lol:

gur's available in canada also? damn! and I thought we were the only one eating it....

O.K so how gur or palm juice related to tourism with respect to Bangladesh?? :coffee:

O.K so how gur or palm juice related to tourism with respect to Bangladesh?? :coffee:

gud point .... I didn notice we were all carried away with gur in our hands :P. Maybe the thread has reached its threshold point and from here on everyone will just keep on blabbering.

This gives me a thought though, whenever theres a negative thread with something to fight for I check for updates every 30 mins, now that everything is fine and good I don't have anything to add and things are getting boring that way. Any trolls around to add more spices? Never mind....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom