What's new

Bangladesh:Gunfight at BDR headquarters

Reports are coming there are many dead bodies inside the Headquarter.

Two retired Army generals said that BDR actions are justified.This is because they toiled very hard during Operation Daal-Vaat yet they did not find their conditions improved.

These are some of the reports from News channels.

The BDR jawans are preparing to hand over arms,they will be briefed within few minutes and then hand over the arms.

As of latest news, army has not been removed from the scene, that's NOT a good sign. Any attempt by govt or army to take armed action would further implement enemy's plan.

Just yesterday Hasina announced modernization of BDR, who are first line of defense in borders with (mostly with) India, with new tech and weapons. Content of Hasina's speech and plan were known by many in her inner circle and perhaps been leaked to enemy. Today's incident will sure put such plan in back burner. It obvious who is the enemy and their motive to orchestrate this setback.

As of latest news, army has not been removed from the scene, that's NOT a good sign. Any attempt by govt or army to take armed action would further implement enemy's plan.

Just yesterday Hasina announced modernization of BDR, who are first line of defense in borders with (mostly with) India, with new tech and weapons. Content of Hasina's speech and plan were known by many in her inner circle and perhaps been leaked to enemy. Today's incident will sure put such plan in back burner. It obvious who is the enemy and their motive to orchestrate this setback.

Yes that's not a good sign.They should back out now.I think the number of deaths will shock us,I am expecting it to be more.

It's all the fault of the DG.How can he shoot his own troops?They have the right to ask what was done with the money they got from Operation Daal-Vaat.That's what sparked the whole thing.

I just get the feeling,the DG is dead and BDR men are hiding it.After all he is the whole thing.

Why can's we have something like the US marine corps. who are independent of army and navy?That's what these men are asking.

Modernization of BDR is a priority.

I just hope she does not back away from her plans to modernize BDR and Armed forces.

Add to that,BDR men wanted to talk with her yesterday but they were not allowed.Had it been allowed,may be this incidence would have been avoidable.

Yes that's not a good sign.They should back out now.I think the number of deaths will shock us,I am expecting it to be more.

It's all the fault of the DG.How can he shoot his own troops?They have the right to ask what was done with the money they got from Operation Daal-Vaat.That's what sparked the whole thing.

I just get the feeling,the DG is dead and BDR men are hiding it.After all he is the whole thing.

Why can's we have something like the US marine corps. who are independent of army and navy?That's what these men are asking.

Some inside info I am getting can not be discussed in open forum. But what I learned 'dal vatt' thing is A cause for discontent but not the reason for mutiny. Rather dal-vatt thing was used as cover by people/country which (not BDR) instigated this from behind the scene.

As for DG he sure has role behind what happened to BDR but main culprit is Moeen U the army chief and some of his loyal officers. Keeping these elements in army would further cause trouble in Bangladesh.

Some inside info I am getting can not be discussed in open forum. But what I learned 'dal vatt' thing is A cause for discontent but not the reason for mutiny. Rather dal-vatt thing was used as cover for other reasons.

As for DG he sure has role behind what happened to BDR but main culprit is Moeen U the army chief and some of his loyal officers. Keeping these elements in army would further cause trouble in Bangladesh.

We seriously need some shake up in the Military administration.These incidence should teach the generals a lesson.
BTW when is General Moeen going to be replaced?Do you have knowledge on that?

We seriously need some shake up in the Military administration.These incidence should teach the generals a lesson.
BTW when is Moeen going to be replaced?Do you have knowledge on that?

His term expires by middle of this year but he has backing from enemy. Not sure if Hasina can overcome that.

But Hasina sould,

Think that she is elected by people, her source of power is people and not neighbor country. Therefore she should pursue people interest rather than neighbor interest.

Address the nation and declare BDR Amnesty and removal of army from scene.

Create special pay grade and benefit for BDR on par with army.

Immediately send army officers who command BDR to special sensitivity training. Long term commanding BDR can be addressed many ways later.

Court martial Moeen U and is gang of officers.

Gradual removal of Bangladesh armed forces from UN mission.

Last edited:
I think the amnesty may have been given too early without verification of what happened inside. There are rumours of around 30-70 dead. Nanak looked like a fool which was even more annoying. I do not think this is over yet.

I do not think this is over yet.

Exactly the same feeling I have.I think Army is waiting for retaliation.Most killed were army officers,they won't forget that easily.Allah knows what will happen.Tonight is crucial,we just have to wait.

The BDR men asking the amnesty to be passed in the parliament.

Mutiny in Bangladesh Rifles, 14 officers feared killed

A rebellion broke out in paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles (BDR) Headquarters in Pilkhana area in Dhaka on Wednesday. There was heavy gun battle among the troops at their main barracks.

According to the reports, revolt erupted over pay and perks.

At least 14 BDR officers including the top brass are feared killed. Director General of Bangladesh Rifles has also been killed in the firing. Meanwhile, several civilians caught in the crossfire were injured.

According to an eyewitness, "The firing has been going on since 9 am. It's going on in the market as well. Some of the army people have come over to this side but we still cannot go to this area."

Bangladesh Rifles soldiers have taken control of a mall near the headquarters.

Officials said that army was called out to crush the rebellion as witnesses reported movement of military convoys and hovering of air force helicopters over the sky of the Pilkhana barracks.

Smoke could be seen coming from the complex, with security forces sealing the area off.

Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has urged soldiers to lay down arms and offered to negotiate over their demands.

"The army troops are now chalking out plans to enter into the barracks where heavy exchanges of gunshots were still underway," an army source said but officials inside the BDR Headquarters could not be reached.

After independence from Pakistan in 1971, Bangladesh has had a history of coups and counter-coups. (With PTI inputs)

NDTV.com: Mutiny in Bangladesh Rifles, 14 officers feared killed

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Notable thing about these news from Indian media is that they all are reporting DG is killed,whereas BD media is claiming he is safe.The Red cross ambulance is inside the HQ,let's see what they say after they come out.

Exactly the same feeling I have.I think Army is waiting for retaliation.Most killed were army officers,they won't forget that easily.Allah knows what will happen.Tonight is crucial,we just have to wait.

The BDR men asking the amnesty to be passed in the parliament.

That's why I said Hasina is not controlling the army. In this situation I would hope Hasina would seek help from retd. major general Fazlur Rahman who was BDR DG. he is one person I would think both army and BDR would listen to.

I think the amnesty may have been given too early without verification of what happened inside. There are rumours of around 30-70 dead. Nanak looked like a fool which was even more annoying. I do not think this is over yet.
I think everyone knew that it was not justice to the dead to give BDR amnesty, but killing the mutiny is a must.

I'm sure they would be kicked out of the Army in due time and will pay in one way or the other.

As long as the people of Bangladesh do not make them heroes now.

Well an order removing them from BDR as and when they revolted and taking them militraily would have been better on hindsight. Dont let them alive to be heroes.

Some Images:

ee466f76521a369a181c0e8708c2e228.jpg

6aa352e7a3f499a31fec4e43afd693a7.jpg

63bb184a5efd0888851cb46e12e62c74.jpg

3936ac1b2012c0060573d6f84e1e8705.jpg

Well an order removing them from BDR as and when they revolted and taking them militraily would have been better on hindsight. Dont let them alive to be heroes.

In that case Generals should be punished too for making huge Bucks out of these men's share.Otherwise it would be unfair.

Back
Top Bottom