What's new

Bangladesh Army

^^^This.

And people still wonder why BD isn't going for the FC-1 yet :lol:
As latest update is egypt has ordered 48 fc-1, i do think they will be quite good for bangladesh due to cheap price... Egypt has asked for technology transfer to be manufactured in egypt... Hasina has any other option? She needs 7 ac quickly for new base and there is no other option bro.

As latest update is egypt has ordered 48 fc-1, i do think they will be quite good for bangladesh due to cheap price... Egypt has asked for technology transfer to be manufactured in egypt... Hasina has any other option? She needs 7 ac quickly for new base and there is no other option bro.

What option she has?

Well, if we build the appropriate infrastructure, support, overhauling ability and given that Russian after-sales support is good, we can get the Mig-35. But that'll take some time and money, even given that political football doesn't hinder it. After all, Hasina is a great fan of Russian birdies :cheesy:

Experience with the MiG-29 was valuable. I believe that they should be upgraded as soon as possible. I don't know why it still isn't implemented.

By the way, don't forget that the FC-1 and the FC-20 are powered by Russian engines :P

I'd personally prefer a bird with AESA radar. We are small air force, so having good jets with up-to-date features is important. The MiG-35 and FC-20 (given that it is J-10B) fits well. I am not sure about the features of the FC-1 blk 2. It is rumored to have AESA.

The MBT-2000 and the AK are similar. The AK is a more advanced variant. I doubt if the GoP would be willing to export its best technologies. I also doubt if the Pakistani variant is for export.Bangladesh was interested in procuring T-84s. The T-90 also competed.
T-84 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the reason for the decision to buy MBT-2000 was due to the fact that China provided favorable terms. It has always been an extremely reliable supplier. Also, the cost was also an issue.

Fiction???

AK competed in the bidding process. Pakistan also lobbied since long.

What option she has?

Well, if we build the appropriate infrastructure, support, overhauling ability and given that Russian after-sales support is good, we can get the Mig-35. But that'll take some time and money, even given that political football doesn't hinder it. After all, Hasina is a great fan of Russian birdies :cheesy:

Experience with the MiG-29 was valuable. I believe that they should be upgraded as soon as possible. I don't know why it still isn't implemented.

By the way, don't forget that the FC-1 and the FC-20 are powered by Russian engines :P

I'd personally prefer a bird with AESA radar. We are small air force, so having good jets with up-to-date features is important. The MiG-35 and FC-20 (given that it is J-10B) fits well. I am not sure about the features of the FC-1 blk 2. It is rumored to have AESA.

Dude, for the new forward air base...she will probably end up getting F-7s.

It amazes me as i type but for some reason but our both governments never gave that much importance to air force. Same goes for helicopters and naval air arm, though the latter is gradually developing. Whereas, navy comparatively gets more attention and sometimes even more then the army.

Hasina is dumb...does not understand what measures to be taken to build a strong defence force. I say put a military guy in chage...at least we will see some timely decisions being taken.

Cheers!!!

I am quite sure the way our economy is running, we can buy 48 FC-1 ourselves. But definitely our defence minister would think those nose-broken F-7s are superior!

Cheers!!!

I am quite sure the way our economy is running, we can buy 48 FC-1 ourselves. But definitely our defence minister would think those nose-broken F-7s are superior!

Cheers!!!

But F-7 no more in production. And mig-35 is still not ready i guess plus expensive.

But F-7 no more in production. And mig-35 is still not ready i guess plus expensive.

Its good then. I dont want to F-7s anymore.

Mig-35 was never a realistic option. If it has to be Russian, we can try for Sukhois and more Mig-29s.

Cheers!!!

Bangladesh should go for MIG-29 SMT and upgrade their existing ones to SMT level as well. Seems like the logical thing to do, since BAF is already operating them and they are quite cheap.

1576897.jpg

Its good then. I dont want to F-7s anymore.

Mig-35 was never a realistic option. If it has to be Russian, we can try for Sukhois and more Mig-29s.

Cheers!!!

Why isn't the MiG-35 a realistic option? It is still cheaper than comparable fighters such as the F-18 Super Hornet and the Rafale. It comes with great features such as AESA radar, reduced RCS and better maintenance compared to the MiG-29.

The reason why BAF had been having trouble with the MiG-29 was due to inadequate funds.

There was talk about procuring SU-30s, but the plan was dropped due to inadequate funds according to BD military sources. I agree, our air force is very much underfunded.

We should also upgrade our existing MiG-29s to SMT level.

I still fail to understand why we bought F-7s back in the mid 2000s.

Why isn't the MiG-35 a realistic option? It is still cheaper than comparable fighters such as the F-18 Super Hornet and the Rafale. It comes with great features such as AESA radar, reduced RCS and better maintenance compared to the MiG-29.

The reason why BAF had been having trouble with the MiG-29 was due to inadequate funds.

There was talk about procuring SU-30s, but the plan was dropped due to inadequate funds according to BD military sources. I agree, our air force is very much underfunded.

We should also upgrade our existing MiG-29s to SMT level.

I still fail to understand why we bought F-7s back in the mid 2000s.

You buy F-7s while you have other better choices only when you have a worn-out, white haired moron sitting on the defence minister's position. We do not have any problems of funding man...we have the cash and expertise to run and maintain better planes. There are reasons why Hasina spent so heavily on the navy and army in her present tenure and one of them is availability of funds.

Lack of importance to air force is beyond my comprehending ability. We get billions each year from remittance and from UN missions. Taking out $50 million-1 billion each year from there and using it to modernize any of the forces is easily achievable.

However, SU-30 is still an option if we do not go for JF-17. Given both govts. have good relations with China, J-10 could also be procured in big quantity. F-7BGs can be kept for ground attack or intercepting role. Ideally, i would like to see BAF's inventory with JF-17s, J-10s and 1 of Russian planes Mig-29SMT/SU-30.

About Mig-35, i assumed that its maintenance cost would be higher. Thanks for correcting.

Cheers!!!

You buy F-7s while you have other better choices only when you have a worn-out, white haired moron sitting on the defence minister's position. We do not have any problems of funding man...we have the cash and expertise to run and maintain better planes. There are reasons why Hasina spent so heavily on the navy and army in her present tenure and one of them is availability of funds.

Lack of importance to air force is beyond my comprehending ability. We get billions each year from remittance and from UN missions. Taking out $50 million-1 billion each year from there and using it to modernize any of the forces is easily achievable.

However, SU-30 is still an option if we do not go for JF-17. Given both govts. have good relations with China, J-10 could also be procured in big quantity. F-7BGs can be kept for ground attack or intercepting role. Ideally, i would like to see BAF's inventory with JF-17s, J-10s and 1 of Russian planes Mig-29SMT/SU-30.

About Mig-35, i assumed that its maintenance cost would be higher. Thanks for correcting.

Cheers!!!

Here's an interesting read as far as the MiG-35 goes:
- MiG-35/MiG-35D

I don't think that remittance from UN missions are enough to run a military.

But BAF might actually have to look into it by carrying out trails and compare it to different aircraft of its class.

The F-7 is an interceptor, and can perform limited CAS (close air support). The JF-17 is a good aircraft for the CAS role. The J-10 is good for air-superiority and deep strike missions.

The SU-30, like the SU-27 and F-15 are a heavier class of fighters. That means, they are more maintenance intensive compared to lighter ones such as the F-16, J-10 and MiG-29. Would that be in the interests of the BAF? I doubt it. Single engined aircraft are always less maintenance intensive. The F-16 and J-10B come into mind.

According sources, the SU-27 approximately costs $7,000/flight hour. Whereas, the F-15 costs a whooping $17,000/flight hour.
http://www.defence.pk/forums/milita...ing-operating-fighters-its-effects-sales.html

But, it is difficult to calculate exact operating costs. Many factors come into play. One major factor is the mean time taken between engine overhauls.

Here is interesting point made by chogy, a former USAF F-15C pilot:
Very true in that the reliability and time between overhauls is a HUGE part of a cost. Early jet engines were good for 20 hours or less. Modern engines can easily run for 4,000 hours or more before needing major work. Compare this to even the very best piston engines which will fail long before 2,500 hours.

So if Jet engine "A" works reliably for 4,000 hours and costs 10 million $$, and Engine "B" costs 3 million $$ but is good for only 750 hours and breaks down all the time, engine "A" is probably a much better choice, despite the higher cost. To fully overhaul a jet engine might cost 35% to 65% of the original cost.

So, whatever the costs we incur regarding the engines, it depends just on how many sorties we carry out. Having good engines, regardless if Eastern or Western, it should always meet BAF's operational requirements.

If you ask me, I'd really eye for the FC-20 (hopefully J-10B which has AESA) or the F-16 blk 60 (given that USA is willing to offer) when it comes to procuring new aircraft.

Air force should be sufficient, but not the most important. The army and especially the navy are the most important wings of our military. Even if we had 500 F-22s, larger neighbors like Myanmar and India still won't be afraid. We are a small country after all. Therefore, Hasina's focus on army and navy is valid. But still, our air force is grossly underfunded. There were rumors that our MiGs cannibalized one another. This shows poor funding coupled with poor after-sales support from the Russians. Although, it is said that the after-sales support is improving.

Regarding our army, training is good, but equipment compared to India, Pakistan, China or even Myanmar - a bit lacking. This similarly applies to the navy, accept SWADS.

Regarding money, I agree that we do have it. It is just that it is not prioritized properly.

Fun fact: Majority of Bangladesh's rich pay little or no taxes. Especially one of those who become 'unknowingly' rich :lol:

I met one professor who said that the taxes he pays are much higher than the ones paid by those 'unknowingly' rich people :lol:

It is sad, but true :P

Very large photo of the cannon in Lalbagh Fort of Old Dhaka, 1500 x 1250 pixels :
43754666.jpg

Related photos and shortcuts in post # 997

RAJENDRAPUR, Gazipur, Sept 11 (BSS)- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina today said that Bangladesh Army would be turned into a modern, efficient and effective force by 2030 as it has adopted a Forces Goal 2030. "We are implementing Vision 2021, while Bangladesh Army has adopted a Forces Goal 2030 to transform it into a modern, efficient and time-befitting force in line with the vision," she said while presenting the National Standard Award to the Ordnance Centre and School at Rajendrapur Cantonment Parade Ground here this morning. The Prime Minister said a 'doctrine of unconventional warfare' has been formulated by utilizing the experiences the Bangalee nation gathered through the great War of Liberation, while a database is being prepared by collecting area-based data which will be turned into a coordinated training and exercise in phases.

Back
Top Bottom