What's new

Average salaries for Pakistani/Indian MBA

Thanks guys really good advice/info,

i had a relative in UAE he just asked me to send my CV & passport copy & i will get job/interview withing 20 days and the expected salary would be arround 3500 to 4500 dhms & probably in sharjah where i have to live in bed space sharing with other guys, will it be okay? will i be able to send some money to my family in that?

IMO MBA is overrated, its a mile wide in scope and a foot deep in specialization. People get admissions into non-descript colleges just to get an MBA degree which imparts them no real skills in real world. Unless you are into a top 20 program or specialize in a field like finance, getting an MBA without experience is a waste. Most of the top schools are also more important because of the network you get rather than the education.

Its better to get some experience or a specialized skill sets like CFA and CPA which are a lot less time(and cheaper) consuming and carry a lot of weight if you manage to get them. Firms look for skills rather than degrees if its not from a top-tier school. Pay can easily be more than an MBA if you are good enough, in the end its about talent and skills rather than degrees.

Surely IIM gets recognised more.

Not really. IIM's don't make the GMAT college list which most companies look at for guidance. Although IIM ahmedabad would be rated a bit higher than ISB (only slightly) sad Fact is IIM grads are not placed at par in terms of salary. As for the other IIM's they are ranked too low to even matter!

IMO MBA is overrated, its a mile wide in scope and a foot deep in specialization. People get admissions into non-descript colleges just to get an MBA degree which imparts them no real skills in real world. Unless you are into a top 20 program or specialize in a field like finance, getting an MBA without experience is a waste. Most of the top schools are also more important because of the network you get rather than the education.

Its better to get some experience or a specialized skill sets like CFA and CPA which are a lot less time(and cheaper) consuming and carry a lot of weight if you manage to get them. Firms look for skills rather than degrees if its not from a top-tier school. Pay can easily be more than an MBA if you are good enough, in the end its about talent and skills rather than degrees.

thts exactly wht i always think tht its not abt degrees its abt a person's skills but again how i can show my skills when i get there & for tht i need a degree than i may be able to show who i am...not?

& guys FYI i do have more than four years of experiance in a Takaful Company in Karachi i did my MBA with job....than wht should i expect now?

and please dont say tht MBA is useless..:(

Nah man dont get disheartened, I said MBA is overrated. You could make as much or more with an undergrad degree if you have the right skill set. What skills you can excel at, is sometimes a matter of trial and error, and only you can find that out. :)

Is'nt this disscrimination ...specifically speaking racial discrimination for people of subcontinent being paid half the salaries, as got by their western counter parts?
Surely it depends on the skill and exp of a person and his wanting to prove his worth ...... middle east braggsters only work on money....

thts exactly wht i always think tht its not abt degrees its abt a person's skills but again how i can show my skills when i get there & for tht i need a degree than i may be able to show who i am...not?

& guys FYI i do have more than four years of experiance in a Takaful Company in Karachi i did my MBA with job....than wht should i expect now?

MBA is as useful as you want it to be. I'm guessing Takaful is a type of company which deals with the Islamic way of doing business. You could build a niche for your self in the middle east. But I have no understanding of the profiles and salaries in this sector.

Is'nt this disscrimination ...specifically speaking racial discrimination for people of subcontinent being paid half the salaries, as got by their western counter parts?
Surely it depends on the skill and exp of a person and his wanting to prove his worth ...... middle east braggsters only work on money....
It's a cruel world buddy :). We just have to learn to live with it.

MBA is as useful as you want it to be. I'm guessing Takaful is a type of company which deals with the Islamic way of doing business. You could build a niche for your self in the middle east. But I have no understanding of the profiles and salaries in this sector.

It's a cruel world buddy :). We just have to learn to live with it.

yes Takaful is the islamic way of insurance its coparitively very new in Pakistan but heard tht its established industry in UAE & ME in general as compare to conventional insurance.......

i need advice on wht i said earlier abt getting a job in UAE through someone....

Actually a lot of rich Middle Eastern countries give salaries based on nationalities. Usually the rule of thumb is to double the salary of a worker holding a Western passport compared to that of 3rd world country. I have seen it with my own eyes; people immigrating to Canada, getting passport and moving back having their salaries doubled. I know its a weird logic, but well this is what you should expect from Middle East.

This is not true.

People from the west appear to get paid more because of two factors. They have better skills and knowledge of tools to get the job done; and they are mostly paid on par or more with the pay they will get in their home countries or they wouldnt take up job offers elsewhere.
People in India get paid less on average than people for the same profile in US or Canada because of currency differences, accounting for the cost of living, it is more or less the same.

One example would be people moving back from US and Canada to take up job offers in India at about 25% of the salaries, since they can maintain similar lifestyle in that amount and stay closer to home.

yes Takaful is the islamic way of insurance its coparitively very new in Pakistan but heard tht its established industry in UAE & ME in general as compare to conventional insurance.......

i need advice on wht i said earlier abt getting a job in UAE through someone....

Please clarify with him on the profile and company.

In my honest opinion,and I could be wrong, I believe he is getting you a generic job which has nothing to do with your degree. Additionally, the modus seems quite similar to agents who promise job seekers a particular salary but have them sign a contract with them. As a result you get a salary from the contractor and not the company which means you aren't going to get genuinely paid for the work you do. Also, these contracts sometimes bind you for about 2 years with barely any possibility of hikes and only if you are lucky will you get picked up by the company permanently.

Personally if you ask me if you are looking to only make money it's ok. But don't expect to make a career out of this venture.

This is not true.

People from the west appear to get paid more because of two factors. They have better skills and knowledge of tools to get the job done; and they are mostly paid on par or more with the pay they will get in their home countries or they wouldnt take up job offers elsewhere.
People in India get paid less on average than people for the same profile in US or Canada because of currency differences, accounting for the cost of living, it is more or less the same.

One example would be people moving back from US and Canada to take up job offers in India at about 25% of the salaries, since they can maintain similar lifestyle in that amount and stay closer to home.

I have to disagree. There is a misconception that people who are not from the west are not as adept with their skills and the tools they can use. But fact is that both would have gone through the same selection process.

The companies base the salaries on what they they the candidates would accept. And we all know the high potential people from the sub-continent would accept a lower salary than an average westerner purely based on the salaries they see at home. And MBA's are not immune to this :).

I have to disagree. There is a misconception that people who are not from the west are not as adept with their skills and the tools they can use. But fact is that both would have gone through the same selection process.

I have gone through the same education system and work experience in India as probably you have too. Do not confuse talent with skills, unless you have the training you will lack skills.

I will give you a simple example, I use a Bloomberg terminal that costs about $120,000 a year for One terminal. Never have I seen a school offering training on such advanced product in India simply because of the prohibitive costs, which do make sense considering the low cost of education in India.

Now, if you were a manager looking to hire somebody who will need knowledge of the said tool, will you hire a recent undergrad from India on whom he has to spend atleast 3 months of training and certifications; or a recent undergrad from a mid-tier school in US who spent two semesters doing several projects on bloomberg, and has a bunch of certifications proving his mastery of the tool?

The companies base the salaries on what they they the candidates would accept. And we all know the high potential people from the sub-continent would accept a lower salary than an average westerner purely based on the salaries they see at home. And MBA's are not immune to this :).

And I said the same thing.

Please clarify with him on the profile and company.

In my honest opinion,and I could be wrong, I believe he is getting you a generic job which has nothing to do with your degree. Additionally, the modus seems quite similar to agents who promise job seekers a particular salary but have them sign a contract with them. As a result you get a salary from the contractor and not the company which means you aren't going to get genuinely paid for the work you do. Also, these contracts sometimes bind you for about 2 years with barely any possibility of hikes and only if you are lucky will you get picked up by the company permanently.

Personally if you ask me if you are looking to only make money it's ok. But don't expect to make a career out of this venture.

hmmm thanks for the info but

anyidea how is the procedure for interview/ appointment letter & how much time will it take?

Depends upon your institute alot , your capabilities and the company that is hiring you , The top institutes for business studies in Pakistan are

LUMS (lahore)
IBA (Karachi)
LSE (Lahore)
IoBM (Karachi)

Then it depends upon the company that is hiring you , i have heard fresh MBAs hired by companies with starting basic salary of 1 lack 20 thousand rupees . But on the other hand i have also seen MBAs getting hired for just 20 thousand rupees .

For the First time to enter in the market its your institute + skills (later during selection stages) that paves way for you but after that its more of your skills and the company you have worked in helps you a lot in deciding what would be your salary.

The MTOs job also referred as Management Trainee officer are the most preferred jobs by the freshies and Every multi-national company plus the local good companies are providing this opportunity i think about twice an year .

But for that most companies require you to have minimum of 3 CGPA, only then you are eligible to apply after that the companies shortlist you for a written test , short listing depends upon the company's criteria. More often they will shortlist a guy with 3.2 CGPA while ignoring the one with 3.8 so this criteria solely depends upon them

Entry test usually is based upon GMAT pattern and if you clear you go through various interviews one after another , some companies also ask for 1 day workshop to see your intellectual as well as communication and group work skills before the last interview .

For an MTO the salaries varies for-example for Askari bank MTO the basic salary is around 38k monthly while after adding benefits it reaches to somewhere around 45k while while other banks like NBP, HBSC and Standard chartered are paying more infact with quite a handsome margin

So basically you did MBA executive, which has less worth then regular MBA program , BTW your institute?

So basically you did MBA executive, which has less worth then regular MBA program , BTW your institute?

no its not executive MBA but MBA evening programe same as morning, & as far as i now in Pakistan HEC dont recognise MBA executive...

Depends upon your institute alot , your capabilities and the company that is hiring you , The top institutes for business studies in Pakistan are

LUMS (lahore)
IBA (Karachi)
LSE (Lahore)
IoBM (Karachi)

Then it depends upon the company that is hiring you , i have heard fresh MBAs hired by companies with starting basic salary of 1 lack 20 thousand rupees . But on the other hand i have also seen MBAs getting hired for just 20 thousand rupees .

For the First time to enter in the market its your institute + skills (later during selection stages) that paves way for you but after that its more of your skills and the company you have worked in helps you a lot in deciding what would be your salary.

The MTOs job also referred as Management Trainee officer are the most preferred jobs by the freshies and Every multi-national company plus the local good companies are providing this opportunity i think about twice an year .

But for that most companies require you to have minimum of 3 CGPA, only then you are eligible to apply after that the companies shortlist you for a written test , short listing depends upon the company's criteria. More often they will shortlist a guy with 3.2 CGPA while ignoring the one with 3.8 so this criteria solely depends upon them

Entry test usually is based upon GMAT pattern and if you clear you go through various interviews one after another , some companies also ask for 1 day workshop to see your intellectual as well as communication and group work skills before the last interview .

For an MTO the salaries varies for-example for Askari bank MTO the basic salary is around 38k monthly while after adding benefits it reaches to somewhere around 45k while while other banks like NBP, HBSC and Standard chartered are paying more infact with quite a handsome margin

Thnks for the info....

even in my own company most of the MBAs are from IBA or Lums with some are frm MAJU, CBM, SZABIST & other unis....

Back
Top Bottom