What's new

At least 50+ dead in Kabul suicide attack

Roadside bomb kills 19 civilians in south Afghanistan, day after massive attack in Kabul - The Washington Post

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — A minibus struck a roadside bomb while driving in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, triggering an explosion that killed 19 Afghan civilians, officials said.

The vehicle was driving on a road in Helmand province’s volatile Sangin district — a Taliban stronghold — when it hit the bomb, said Daoud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the Helmand government.

At least five children were among the dead, he said. Another six people were wounded and all were being treated at a NATO base. No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack — a common situation when bombs kill civilians.

The blast comes a day after twin bombings on Shiite Muslims celebrating the holiday of Ashoura left 60 dead and sparked fears that attacks in Afghanistan might be taking on a sectarian dimension for the first time. Ashoura honors the death of Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Muhammad, in 680 A.D.

Afghan President Hamid Karzai cut short a European trip because of Tuesday’s attacks and returned to Kabul on Wednesday to visit the scores of wounded and the bereaved families of those killed in the capital.

A suicide bomber slaughtered 56 Shiite worshippers and wounded more than 160 others Tuesday outside a shrine where hundreds had gathered to worship. One U.S. citizen was also among the dead, according to a statement issued by the American embassy in Kabul. The deceased was not a government employee, U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Megan Ellis said, but declined to give further details.

The blast, coupled with another smaller explosion in a northern city that killed four people in a holiday vehicle procession, marked the first major assault on a Muslim sect in Afghanistan in recent memory.

Karzai said in a statement shortly after the blast that the attack on Shiites was unprecedented in scope and marked the first time that one had been carried out during a religious event.

His office said Wednesday that he had arrived back in Kabul, cutting short a trip to Britain and Germany, and planned to spend the day visiting the wounded in city hospitals.

Families gathered for funerals across the city on Wednesday. In western Kabul, a group of mourners carried four bodies in a funeral procession through the city’s largest Shiite cemetery. They carried pictures of the dead and shouted, “They are martyrs! We honor them!”

One of the mourners said no place felt safe anymore.

“Killing Muslims in front of a holy shrine, it is unbelievable,” said Mohammad Nahim, 35. “Last night I told my children not to visit any shrines after dark. It is too dangerous.” He said the graphic images of piled bodies came on the television as his family was eating dinner the night before and they all started crying.

“The man who owned the shop on my street corner, the man I bought vegetables from, he was killed in the attack,” Nahim said.

At one of the funerals, a member of the city’s Shiite council said the attack showed no one can count on the government for protection. “There have been so many attacks, even against government officials, and still they can’t stop these things,” said Mohaqeq Zada.

It remained unclear what the political reverberations of the attack could be.

The Taliban condemned the attack, which was reminiscent of the wave of sectarian bloodshed that shook Iraq during the height of the war there. Suspicion centered on militant groups based in neighboring Pakistan, where Sunni attacks on minority Shiites are common.

A man who claimed to be from Lashkar-e-Jhangvi al-Alami, a Pakistan-based group that has carried out attacks against Shiite Muslims, called various media outlets in Pakistan to claim responsibility for the bombing in Kabul. The validity of the claim could not be determined.

Until now, the decade-long Afghan war has largely been spared sectarian violence, where civilians are targeted simply for their membership in a particular religious group. Tuesday’s attack suggests that at least some militant groups may have shifted tactics, taking aim at ethnic minorities such as the Hazara who are largely Shiite and support the Afghan government and its Western partners.

Afghanistan’s Shiite community makes up about 20 percent of the nation’s 30 million population. Hard-line Sunnis consider Shiites nonbelievers because their customs and traditions differ from the majority sect.

have some shame, more than 50 have died and your saying its a lie...you have no respect for human life do you?

Trouble with English?

Nobody's denying the dead; we are trying to figure out whodunit. Only the most gullible will believe an anonymous phone call, especially when certain other parties have a strong vested interest in such false flag operations.

Trouble with English?

Nobody's denying the dead; we are trying to figure out whodunit. Only the most gullible will believe an anonymous phone call, especially when certain other parties have a strong vested interest in such false flag operations.

My English is very good, what do you expect? i come here and see your comment, what do you think i am gonna think? i did not read your previous comment so i did not know sorry.

Karzai vows to confront Pakistan over Kabul attack | World | DAWN.COM

Karzai vows to confront Pakistan over Kabul attack

KABUL: Afghanistan’s president says that the unprecedented suicide bombing at a Shia shrine in Kabul originated in Pakistan and is pledging to confront the Pakistani government about the attack.

taking the news on face value, the first name that springs to mind is Malik Ishaq of Lashker Jhangvi, who the Pakistani courts have freed due to "lack of evidence" . although in the very court he admitted killing 90 people himself and threatened the witnesses and judges.

His main sponsor is the Nawaz league and he has been living like a guest with access to Mobile phone too while in the Jail. Nawaz league is banking on the votes from the fanatics to win the next elections.

So Karzai is not talking out of place here. remember that its Lashker e Jhagvi who forced a "confession" from Col. Imam after abducting him and made him and later executed him for helping the Americans and Pakistani govt. Also when the Taliban captured mazar e Sharif during Afghan civil war, the Pakistani sectarian fanatics (Lashker Jhagvi / Sipah Sahabah) joined in the killing of the Shias including the Iranian diplomats who were dragged in the town centre and executed. So there is always a possibility of the hand of these Pakistani fanatics.

While Pakistanis were thanking god that they were spared the carnage during the Moharam time but the fanatics stuck in Afghanistan.

Blaming the Pakistani state is useless because these groups are beyond its control, recently a rescue operation in Punjab was failed badly when jashker e jhagvi executed 2 intelligence officers they were holding and even managed to escape. The Laskher e Jhangvi has been pretty much underground but its leaders make random public appearances in the Jhang area where they have fanatic and diehard supporters . Punjab government of Nawaz league is also their sponsor and is highly likely that it will assist them to escape and stay hidden in case the central government under the pressure from US/ Afghanistan makes a half hearted attempt to capture them.

Lashker Jhangvi also claims to represent and project the Al Qaeda in Pakistan and its mother organisation Sipah Sahabah has heavy influence in TTP which is already a Deobandi influenced organisation with extreme hatred and animosity for Shias and the extent to that can be seen from the fact that travellers in Parachinar or Kohistan are stopped and their names checked and if they are found to be shia they are executed on spot. They are even known to have specially executed captured shia policemen and soldiers. They have been working for decades and there is no quick solution to this menace.

Capturing and punishing its leadership is only stop gap procedure for now. But for a longer run their funding and the inflow of the fresh recruits has to be stopped along with their hate material.

Karzai missed out the Saudi connection in this regard who according to wikileaks are the biggest financiers of these Deobandi militant organisations. And their excuse for doing that is their proxy war with Iran and their paranoia towards shias so if in the process Afghanistan and Pakistan suffers then tough luck.

Saudis just showed their benefactors in Afhganistan and Pakistan how to do it in style when they used the American Apaches and Bradlies to quell the uprising in Bahrain, there was no uproar in the Muslims world and neither the champions of freedom and justice in the west bothered because it was a matter of principles the matter being (black bold and its continued supply).

When a person like Karzai, President of the Great Almighty and powerful Republic of Afghanistan says this, you know that your FO and Foreign ministry is not doing it's job.

Reading the comments, it seems certainly Taliban has become all merciful, shia loving, "I mind my business you mind yours" type of people, seems I have done a rip van winkle last night!

Reading the comments, it seems certainly Taliban has become all merciful, shia loving, "I mind my business you mind yours" type of people, seems I have done a rip van winkle last night!

indeed they have if we go by their statement
btw in the past they always proudly announced their "achievements" and promised to repeat that in the future. dont dont undertand the opinion polls and cant care less about the ratings.
very simple formula.

if you support us .. you live
if you criticise us ... you are a traitor and heretic and you die.

Pakistan doesn't support the Taliban, it has been fighting them intensely, & killed over 200 terrorists in just the last 2 weeks alone. There is strict security for Ashura all over the country, & the country's LEA & troops have captured & killed many terrorists just in these few days of Muharram that targeted Shias.

I don't think the emphasis was on TTP.. it was on Afghan Taliban who are not your enemies.

LeJ has been regularly been involved in anti-Shia violence while the Taliban has not attacked Shias like this in the past 10 years. Especially not during the holy days of Ashura.

Only groups like LeJ, LeT Al Qaeda affiliates e.t.c can be involved in such violence as they don't follow any Islamic tenets.

If what you said in bold is true, then what happened to the Hazara Shias in Afghanistan, & why did they have to flee Afghanistan?

An incident from last year:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/world/asia/26kabul.html

The funny thing is that the BBC is quoting the Afghan ministry, saying that the Taliban are lying, & they were responsible for these attacks. Whereas, we can see US media outlets hyping up Karzai's 'unprecedented attack' statement, as well as the Taliban's statement that they don't kill civilians (which is a blatant lie), as if to emphasize that the Taliban were not capable of doing such a thing.

It's funny that it takes 1 month to figure out what happened on 11/26 in Pakistan, but it takes only a few hours here to conclude that it was the LeJ/SSP that was responsible for this, & that the bombers were from Kurram. Pathetic.

The BBC have not aired the 'the Kabul shrine bomber was Pakistani' claim/headline. It is the exact same situation when the Afghans accused Pakistan (& a Pakistani citizen) of being complicit in Rabbani's murder, & then it fizzled out.

I don't think the emphasis was on TTP.. it was on Afghan Taliban who are not your enemies.

please explain what you mean?

emphasis of who?

Afghan Taliban say they didnt do it
Karzai says LeJ (a Pakistani secterian terrorist outfit did it)

LeJ stems from Sipah Sahabah that is part of TTP and we are fighting them all.

yes Afghan Taliban are not our enemies just like BLA or TTP are not your enemies.. so? what emphasis? post moe than a one liner, its not a chat room.

Back
Top Bottom