What's new

Astra bang on target again

Seeker on Astra is Russian or indian ?

Initial reports was an improved R-77 seeker, but that may be for the initial missile testing purpose only. DRDO was working for a new seeker, may be getting help from Elta/IAI and from Russians. Mostly it will be better, reducing the limitations of R-77 & derby seekers.

So their are chances that Tejas Mk I & Mk II may have Astra Bvr missile instead of Derby in its weapon package...

As I think, the Astra has been tested from ground.....

Waiting to see Astra tested from Fighter plane...

Has it been tested form any aireal platform yet?

Any plan of Astra's SAM version? I think it won't take much time as it is already been fired from ground to air mode several time.

I just read the news http://www.asian-defence.com/2012/12/india-successfully-test-fired-air-to.html#.UNdRlV0x6Ew and wanted to say Well done India......Great work

I read somewhere that design and development started around 1996. Why it took so long. When completed it will be almost 20 years. Was there financial hurdles or a break in development. As you know recently we are in development of A2A missile and I am wondering what is an average time to develop this kind of missile. I hope we do not have to wait that long. Is the seeker copy of R77 or indigenous?

I just read the news Asian Defense: India Successfully Test Fired Air to Air Interceptor Astra Missile and wanted to say Well done India......Great work

I read somewhere that design and development started around 1996. Why it took so long. When completed it will be almost 20 years. Was there financial hurdles or a break in development. As you know recently we are in development of A2A missile and I am wondering what is an average time to develop this kind of missile. I hope we do not have to wait that long. Is the seeker copy of R77 or indigenous?

1996 is too early to quote infact. Started the actual work around 2003. Also without own fighter jet and compatible own radar, whats the use of having a active mode BVR missile.

Is Astra "hit-to-kill" missile? The article states otherwise.

Somehow its weird that the MIssile projects are such successes but everything else moves at a snails pace..

Actually, I wouldn't rate all of them successes by the fact that we even have an own space program and the knowledge of developing rockets, but while these are a success even at word standard, our military missiles lack behind many even smaller countries.
Astra is at the begining of it's teststage and we have to wait and see how capable it really will be and more importantly when it will be available for our forces. When you look at NAG / Helina, Sudharshan or even Maitri SAM developments, the progress seems to be slow as well.

Actually, I wouldn't rate all of them successes by the fact that we even have an own space program and the knowledge of developing rockets, but while these are a success even at word standard, our military missiles lack behind many even smaller countries.
Astra is at the begining of it's teststage and we have to wait and see how capable it really will be and more importantly when it will be available for our forces. When you look at NAG / Helina, Sudharshan or even Maitri SAM development seems to be slow.

Yeah and why so??Have you ever asked this question to yourself??Just compare the aloted R&D resources and you will get the answer.
Maitri project has been selved even before it started for your information.
Sudarshan is not a missile but a guidance kit and development starte only in 2005 or so.

Nag ATGM is among the best out there and has been ready for induction from 2008.Helina will take some more time because it was deceided very lately not to use the FPA based passive imaging infrared seeker of Nag and instead a mmw seeker should be intigrated.That's why it's taking time.

I just read the news Asian Defense: India Successfully Test Fired Air to Air Interceptor Astra Missile and wanted to say Well done India......Great work

If I am a developer I will not risk my product by making each and every component from scratch... So claiming 100% indigenous is wrong... This will be my systamatic approach.

Phase 1. I will keep tested Guidence system and motor , may be borrowed from existing systems. I will concentrate on Design and weapon.
Phase 2: I will replace motor (Engine) with indigenous one.
Phase 3: I will replace Guidance system with indigenous one.
phase 4: I will try to replace all subcomponent with indigenous one...

If I will try to make all subcomponents indigenous , trust me I won't be able to find out which component f$$%%ed me.... :)

@Timeline: Our defence journos are noob, They measure the starting date as "PoC Proof of concept" date or "Initial Proposal Date". I will give an example. Our journos count LCA starting date as 1983 , the truth is in 1983 it was just proposed, even the design was not freezed. Neither funding was provided that time...

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom