What's new

As they say in Kerala, there's more to life than GDP - The Globe and Mail

Don't forget the Land Reforms of EMS........the CM of First democratically elected Communist government in World

Please also not forget that the The Temple Entrance Proclamation, which is considered as one of the corner stones of social reform in Kerala, was done by Maharaja before independence when Communists were still at their infancy in Kerala.

So I believe Communists or no Communists there would have been reform in Kerala, the Commies just acted as the catalyst.

Hehehe
Machu I agree on this one.
The output of the state as reported is low but still the economy is doing well because keralites are doing well in "gelf" countries:pleasantry:.

I can not talk for those sitting and laying eggs in New Zealand :D

One of the reasons why the Govt and the people of Kerala panics everytime the news of Saudization or Omanization or other....izations comes out.

but i read in a newspaper that kerala won some international award recently.

The same like India progresses despite the Govt's best efforts to hamper it.

Hehehe
Machu I agree on this one.
The output of the state as reported is low but still the economy is doing well because keralites are doing well in "gelf" countries:pleasantry:.

I can not talk for those sitting and laying eggs in New Zealand :D

but i read in a newspaper that kerala won some international award recently.

Yes. For sustainable tourism.

I think what he meant is that Kerala does a poor job in marketing itself or the people it targets.

Please also not forget that the The Temple Entrance Proclamation, which is considered as one of the corner stones of social reform in Kerala, was done by Maharaja before independence when Communists were still at their infancy in Kerala.

So I believe Communists or no Communists there would have been reform in Kerala, the Commies just acted as the catalyst.
It was please lower caste people for their idea of Independent Tranvancore Later...............Remember ,Swami Vivekanada during his visit to Kerala was deeply disturbed by treatment of Lower caste people in then Kerala.............and you like it or not Commis played a bigger role for the Kerala you see today.

It was please lower caste people for their idea of Independent Tranvancore Later...............Remember ,Swami Vivekanada during his visit to Kerala was deeply disturbed by treatment of Lower caste people in then Kerala.............and you like it or not Commis played a bigger role for the Kerala you see today.

that's actually true.

Along with a lot of activitists and social reformers from the lower castes themselves.

Kerala was the most casteist society a 125 years ago.

It is no small feat to get where we are today.

But socially, there is till a lot more work to be done.

It was please lower caste people for their idea of Independent Tranvancore Later

I have no idea about that. May be you can throw some light on this matter.

...............Remember ,Swami Vivekanada during his visit to Kerala was deeply disturbed by treatment of Lower caste people in then Kerala

You are talking about the late 19th century and to be fair the whole of India at that time was no better either, and The Temple Entrance Proclamation was done in 1930s and frankly Communists played no part in this. It was the will one single person....Maharaja Sree Chitra Thirunal Balarama Varma.

.............and you like it or not Commis played a bigger role for the Kerala you see today.

And why is that the same Communists converted WB to a BIMARU state. They have no done any good to Tripura either.

Absolutely.

Land reforms/Agrarian relations bill- no more farm lands, land mafia's widespread reach.
Worker rights- industries getting lock-down, fear of starting anything in Kerala, no more working class.
Caderism- political assassinations, violent dharnas,vandalism.

The gifts are plenty dark and deep.

Absolutely.

Land reforms/Agrarian relations bill- no more farm lands, land mafia's widespread reach.
Worker rights- industries getting lock-down, fear of starting anything in Kerala, no more working class.
Caderism- political assassinations, violent dharnas,vandalism.

The gifts are plenty dark and deep.
This happens in every part of India...........Its Gun Culture in north.......I will quote saying in Malayalam...........Muutthe muuleke mannam iila.........
I have no idea about that. May be you can throw some light on this matter.
Same Diwan Declared Travancore an independent Country.......................

Same Diwan Declared Travancore an independent Country.......................

The proclamation was done by the Maharaja, not Dewan way back in 1936, when even independent India was still a dream...who was he is trying to impress as Travancore was already functioning as a semi autonomous region under the British Dominion.

Actually substantial land reforms were the ONLY thing the elected govt. of kerala did which can be termed positive. The HDI initiatives is just the carry forward of the policies of the Verma's. (kings of kerala)

The land reforms in Kerala was one of the best in India. The entire feudal structure was dismantled and there was a genuine distribution of wealth (land) and opportunity (via education). The entire kerala edifice is build on these two foundations.

Luckily the feudal elite in kerala were also the most educated and found alternative careers elsewhere and did not suffer too much economically however their political emasculation was total and continues to this day. (here I might be talking form a narrow Nair narrative)

However the new land owners became the new feudal lords and now use outside labor to till their lands :lol: ...... life has come a full circle in kerala. The gods of the land must be having a good laugh.

Last edited:
Actually substantial land reforms were the ONLY thing the elected govt. of kerala did which can be termed positive. The HDI initiatives is just the carry forward of the policies of the Verma's. (kings of kerala)

The land reforms in Kerala was one of the best in India. The entire feudal structure was dismantled and there was a genuine distribution of wealth (land) and opportunity (via education). The entire kerala edifice is build on these two foundations.

Luckily the feudal elite in kerala were also the most educated and found alternative careers elsewhere and did not suffer too much economically however their political emancipation was total and continues to this day. (here I might be talking form a narrow Nair narrative)

However the new land owners became the new feudal lords and now use outside labor to till their lands :lol: ...... life has come a full circle in kerala. The gods of the land must be having a good laugh.

But that this growth trajectory did not succeed remains a fact since whatever land was got after the reforms was used for speculation or real estate or as guarantee for raising credit which was not used for investment purposes.

“This credit went mainly into education which resulted in better qualifications for a generation of Keralites. But reforms failed to promote agriculture,” he said.

About the land reforms in the state, Prof Tharakan said there was a redistribution of power, influence, opportunities and wealth from the highest level of the former agrarian hierarchy to the middle level. But this redistribution did not happen in the same manner further down.

Land reforms in Kerala | Readings and Discussions on Issues of Land Rights

My question is simple?

In 1936 what was his motive, when even the independence of India is still a dream let alone Travancore.

Don't forget the Land Reforms of EMS........the CM of First democratically elected Communist government in World

It is a wide spread misconception that EMS govt. was the first democratically elected Communist government in World .

It is not .

The first democratically elected Communist government in World was in San Marino in 1945 .

My question is simple?

In 1936 what was his motive, when even the independence of India is still a dream let alone Travancore.
No .........They Declared Independence on 18th June 1947 .............

It is a wide spread misconception that EMS govt. was the first democratically elected Communist government in World .

It is not .

The first democratically elected Communist government in World was in San Marino in 1945 .
Then Second in World and First in Republic India.................

http://discuss.landgrab.info/?p=382

You are referring to rights of tribals. Naturally agricultural land reforms benefited only those who were involved in agriculture. Which is why I put Land and education together. The tribals and others got access to better opportunity via education. Not many today remember the naxal movements in kerala run primarily by the tribals.

My question is simple?

The answer is Thorium and greed.

Back
Top Bottom