What's new

Army proposes to scrap Future Main Battle Tank: instead build on Arjun

Good news!! Stick to Arjun.. Same thing happened to Challenger !!!

@joe,i'm not writing off the lca together but you have to understand,they are saying they are NOW putting together the lca mk2.NOW.Immense frustration.

Im not convinced by what the article says about army changing its mind. Between lines I read that keep developing this tank and make it world class, but there is no guarentee that we will order more....same old bs....whats new,sick DGMF.

:rofl: I love to see Arjun going up against Abrams and got blown up.

F-16 & F-18 weren't sold to India because we refused to let you have transfer of technology, not because they are any inferior. Basically we said NO to unreasonable demand from India.

This kind of arrogance will do no good. F-16 and F-18 failed much before discussions on ToT. Also the unreasonable demand is met by the french as they understand that client is king.

The joke is on you. Plenty of other countries chose F-16 over Rafaela or EF. You simply can't comprehend what the modern F-16 can do. Actually Rafaela had failed all competitive selection before. India is the only one picking the leftover because the French were desperate to agree to TOT.
Countries chose because of US political pressure and not because it advance, on India US political pressure didnt work at all.

Countries chose because of US political pressure and not because it advance, on India US political pressure didnt work at all.

So all those platforms that India just recently purchased was because of political pressure? Or something else? People don't buy the F16 just because its American or that we forced them to buy it, but what it can do.

So all those platforms that India just recently purchased was because of political pressure? Or something else? People don't buy the F16 just because its American or that we forced them to buy it, but what it can do.

India takes the best , buying those platform proves that those are best available in market and moreover Indian didn't sign the COMOS , therefore india will use it own sets of equipment.

Moreover point prove by that India didn't buy f-16/f-18 because they are inferior then rest of the plane....... and buy other stuff because they are superior then others.

infant your Airbus win over American in tanker deal by USAF which proves that Airbus was superior in takers then US made and all politician ego hurt call for inferior US made Tanker.

Your f-16/F-18 plane taken part in trial and failed. accept that.

India takes the best , buying those platform proves that those are best available in market and moreover Indian didn't sign the COMOS , therefore india will use it own sets of equipment.

Moreover point prove by that India didn't buy f-16/f-18 because they are inferior then rest of the plane....... and buy other stuff because they are superior then others.

infant your Airbus win over American in tanker deal by USAF which proves that Airbus was superior in takers then US made and all politician ego hurt call for inferior US made Tanker.

Your f-16/F-18 plane taken part in trial and failed. accept that.

What the heck are you talking about it? Did you even comprehend what I said before? Are you implying all those F16s bought before was because of political pressure and they weren't good fighters? I don't really care about the bid that the F18 or F16 failed. Just that you implied that the F16s were bought only because of political pressure. Which is ridiculous to say. It be like saying the Leopard tanks are being bought like hotcakes because of political pressure instead of being good tanks. You should know how many F16s were bought by countries overseas before you start talking crap about the F16.

No f-16 is a superb aircraft,but rafale is a newer and better aircraft.It doesn't mean the f-16 one of the most succesful aircraft in aviation history is bought due to political pressure or any such nonsense.
Indeed americans make excellent aircraft AND deliver on TIME thats why we bought c-17 ,p-8I,Apache,c-130 hercules, and chinook.Main fear is sanctions.

Of course not, the low costs and a good capability in return are reasons too, but politics plays a big role in these procurements and the US uses this advantage very often which is hardly deniable.
India actually is an exception in most cases, because we have more alternatives than other countries and generally takes the most advanced and the one with the most benefits, while political pressure hardly hits our competitions. That's why besides US fighters, also several of US helicopter offers were rejected (especially the big ticket deals).

So yes, you have good arms and techs on offer at low costs, but other have even better once, but lack the political advantages to win competitive competitions in many countries.

And now lets get back to topic please!

But is weight the only issue operating Arjun in that area? What about the size?

T90/Arjun

Length 9.63 m/10.64m
Width 3.78 m/3.86m

Beeing 1m longer and a bit wider should make it more difficult to move and turn at narrow mountain roads or?

Let me quote myself here, because I would like to know what besides the weight would be an issue for Arjun to be operated in the northern areas and would be light tanks / tank destroyers better for the area?

Let me quote myself here, because I would like to know what besides the weight would be an issue for Arjun to be operated in the northern areas and would be light tanks / tank destroyers better for the area?

It is difficult to see a role for tanks at all in hilly terrain. No massed formations are going to plunge deep into an enemy's territory; instead, it will reduce to an infantry battle. Portable mortars, cannons, and heavy machine guns, MANPADs will be far more effective than will tanks, and tanks, even in penny packets, in infantry support (=SP artillery) roles, will be dangerousy vulnerable, both to the weaponry listed and to plunging attacks by guided aerial vehicles, drones, Hellfire-like missiles or Hellfire missiles themselves, and others, both laser guided and wire-guided.

We should welcome the possibilities of PLA tanks and armoured personnel carriers being deployed in the attack.

I thought Arjun was not capable enough to be in the IA? IA changing its minds because of the insults hurled at DRDO by Indians?

No.. We just got a better intelligence on the capabilities of Pakistani armor and hence downgraded the requirements :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom