What's new

Army proposes to scrap Future Main Battle Tank: instead build on Arjun

I thought Arjun was not capable enough to be in the IA? IA changing its minds because of the insults hurled at DRDO by Indians?

I know that you have some difficulties with words and concepts. Why would the IA, which dislikes the DRDO, change its mind because the much-disliked DRDO gets insulted?

While it certainly builds brownie points to make these boisterous statements, it doesn't really matter in determining the quality of a discussion unless the statement makes some sense. I look forward to that day.

Oh ho ho,now where are the chinese pakistani trolls hiding?They are all too eager to jump in an malign the arjun.I have been saying for a long time that lca might be a disappointment but arjun has been a solid success.

But why are you so ready to write off the LCA? I am surprised. It looks as if there is some kind of symmetry at work; if one likes the LCA, one must diss the Arjuna, and vice versa. Or be Chinese, and explain in red ideographs that all this was discovered in ancient China, and stolen and surreptitiously developed technology is being stolen right back and surreptitiously developed right on.

If this is true then Army should order atleast 354 more Arjun Mk II {Six tank regiment proposed for our border with China}....That will bring the number of Arjun MBT in our inventory to around 700...

246 Arjun Mk I +
472 Arjun MkII {118+354 }= 718 Arjun MBT's...

On the contrary, it should not be deployed anywhere in the Ladakh sector. In fact, all things considered, the ideal theatre for its deployment is the Thar and the south Punjab and north Gujarat flatlands. It is tailor-made for those conditions, whereas the T90 is tailor-made for cold, freezing conditions. Frankly, even the T90 is not perfect for the hostile terrain, broken country and determined infantry, artillery and ground attack opposition likely to be faced on the northern theatre, up to Lahaul and Spiti, and again from Darjeeling/Sikkim/Bhutan on through the Arunachal mountain foothills. But between the two, it is the better, because of being smaller and perhaps more manoeuvrable (not proven as a design difference).

But hasn't army expressed their reluctance to accept Arjun MBT on significant numbers because of it's weight issue? Army has to come clear on their agendas before making their final call on this project.

My call is for a parallel project with maximum sub-system commonality with Arjun and featuring an autoloader.

The 'weight' issue has been shown to be a non-issue; it does not affect performance in any way, the extra facilities make for a far more ergonomic tank.

An autoloader in the Thar? I'd hate to be the tank commander of such a tank.

Tanks like Arjun, Abrams, Challenger are fit to be used anywhere.

The problem is not the tank but the infrastructure designed to support it - which is still to this day the
reason why only ~240 Arjuns are confirmed.

No tank - Arjun, Abrams or Challenger - is likely to do well in Arunachal, or in Darjeeling, Nathu La, Sikkim, or Bhutan. Or for that matter, in Lahaul and Spiti, or southern Ladakh.

This means Indian Army has realized India doesn't know how to build modern tank and has to settle for an inferior outdated tank like Arjun, and will do patch work going forward.

How did you get to such brilliant insights?

Arjun is simply an inferior junk compared to T-90. It's a practice target when comes up against the Abrams.

ok my indian frnds over here we got the certificate from our general who got present in test range of rajasthan desert where these trial had made :rofl::rofl:

let spread this result to every media person so that ARMY never dare even think of ARJUN in future any more.

ohh my god wht a BS comment :hitwall::hitwall:

The 'weight' issue has been shown to be a non-issue; it does not affect performance in any way, the extra facilities make for a far more ergonomic tank.

An autoloader in the Thar? I'd hate to be the tank commander of such a tank.

Actually Autoloader version i proposed is for North-East deployment, as adding it can cut the weight by 4-5 tonnes.

Guy, seems you are also nervous when talking about Arjun.
1. First, do it confirmed offically?
2. do not talk too early, is Arjun finished? How long do Arjun project spend? do even now it is finished, such a long time, it is joke itself.

If talking about the proposal of the article, I will said, good, you know too much indian project were changed time by time, set too high object beyond your ability, you should be realistic, you know, after finish backward project, then develop better based on it.

And, My mind, Arjun and LCA both are joke, both spend too much time, and lose the target, I think it is not important, now the important thing is that learn something as much as you can, and do the later project.
No offence. tell you, I like indian Movie, you can make good movie, If you can be realistic, you also can make good weapon by yourself.

It would be a great idea if you took a long break - please don't ration the time allowed for this break - learn about whether or not the Arjuna is finished, learn about its comparative strengths and weaknesses compared to the T90, and learn about its battle-fighting capability versus other tanks of its class (MBT), other arms (artillery, infantry, ground attack forces, and so on) and ability to cope with different kinds of terrain and ambient conditions.

We might then get some relief from fishing expeditions. "Are you sure it's a good tank? I don't think it is. If it is a good tank, very good for you, but I am really not sure that it is. Now that we have proved that point, perhaps you should learn how to build bicycles before you build motor vehicles, and motor vehicles before you build tanks. Oh, you already build all these? I bet you idiots designed everything yourselves and get slaughtered in the world market." What a pretentious attempt to project knowledge and understanding of the subject. We might as well have had some discussion on chop suey; we would have gained a lot more.

I know, you stick to high standard, will not subject to substandard(If you know alien standard, don't know whether you will ask for that?), our plane are substand, I know you think that, hehe.

Good luck man, please stick to it, you walk you way, we walk ours, I don't want to judge it, just see the performance.
:cheers:

Beating US tank is not big affair, you know, you should set the goal that beat Alien Tank, but don't know whether they have that thing, hehe.
US Tank? You mean T90?

BTW, Are you timetravel? you are a little similar.

There is nothing as pathetic as watching someone attempting sarcasm and flippancy in a language that he has not mastered.

:rofl: I love to see Arjun going up against Abrams and got blown up.

F-16 & F-18 weren't sold to India because we refused to let you have transfer of technology, not because they are any inferior. Basically we said NO to unreasonable demand from India.

How, and why would the Arjuna face the Abrams? Are there plans to sell it to the Nepalese? or the Bangladeshis? or the Sri Lankan Marine Corps? Is it not more interesting to stick to video games, with their truly unlimited possibilities? You'd be happy, we'd be happy, the games sellers would be happy, people who want to discuss the thinking behind the Indian Army's latest apparent turn of thought would be very happy.

The F-16 and F-18 didn't pass the preliminary flight trials. Neither got to the commercial evaluation stage. Their failure caused the American Ambassador to put in his papers - not likely if he had said no to unreasonable demands from India.

Army proposes to scrap Future Main Battle Tank: instead build successive models of the Arjun

Armata+MBT.jpg

The funny thing is, that the picture don't show an Indian tank, but the Russian Black Eagle MBT:

be62cx.jpg

be33eo.jpg

be43pl.jpg

be27jt.jpg

More infos:

Black Eagle (tank) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually Autoloader version i proposed is for North-East deployment, as adding it can cut the weight by 4-5 tonnes.

Hmm.

I didn't know that. But I would still opt for a light tank, or a tank with unorthodox treading, four treads, articulated to accommodate widely different heights on either side, or ACVs. Somehow the idea of a heavy tank in mountain warfare makes me very uncomfortable.

What armaments would it carry? 120mm rifled bore? for what targets at what distances? 155mm howitzer? But that makes it self-propelled artillery, not a tank. A troop of tanks climbing to 18,000 ft and then down to 11,000 ft.? (I know, I know, it's called argumentum ad absurdum). A troop of tanks jammed in a mountain pass where the enemy has nicely calibrated his fall of fire? <shudder>. What exactly would be the role in mountain warfare, does anybody know?

But is weight the only issue operating Arjun in that area? What about the size?

T90/Arjun

Length 9.63 m/10.64m
Width 3.78 m/3.86m

Beeing 1m longer and a bit wider should make it more difficult to move and turn at narrow mountain roads or?

All modern tanks, more or less have similar design.

Not really, Arjun has generally some similarities to Leopard 2, since it was based on it's design from German consultant partners, but otherwise most MBTs looks pretty different.

Back
Top Bottom