What's new

Army proposes to scrap Future Main Battle Tank: instead build on Arjun

the IA bull heads dont understand a simple logic of EOQ give the minimum order quantity of say 650 tanks & then expect it to evolve naturally. by just placing order of 250 tanks how can one expect to develop a new product without enough experiance of actual performance on the field.

Given the army's ever changing demands with the Arjun MBT, most of the features that would feature in the FMBT were already being included in Arjun. I'm not completely surprised that they might go down this route.

While the Arjun MBT still lacks certain features which the Indian Army wants, I'm surprised that people are still talking about the tank weight in general without considering whether it affects performance. The tank has wider rails allowing a larger distribution of weight along the ground. This is one of the reason it performed better than T-90's in field trials. I have yet to read a single report where they tested the tank in the terrain they claim it will sink to find out if it will actually happen. If anyone has any links or reports of this actually being tested, I'd be very interested to read it.

If this is true then Army should order atleast 354 more Arjun Mk II {Six tank regiment proposed for our border with China}....That will bring the number of Arjun MBT in our inventory to around 700...

246 Arjun Mk I +
472 Arjun MkII {118+354 }= 718 Arjun MBT's...

good news IMO for you guys, instead of exploring unknown its better to spend on research, development and further enhance a product already trialed and tested. Best of luck.

Well you are right.

You can also use parts and systems from already developed products to develop a new product.

For example LCH.

When DRDO has assistance from Israel in Tank design and other stuffs, why can't they just take one time complete assistance and produce a tank lighter in weight .

Read the opening post..

Says a key general: “All contemporary three-man-crew tanks weigh 50-tonnes, like those being built by South Korea, Turkey and Japan. Adding a fourth crew member also adds roughly 10-tonnes of weight, due to increase in the tank size and weight of armour. But we were asking for a 50-tonne FMBT that would have a four-man crew. It just didn’t add up.”

If IA want 3 crew member Tank 10 tonne can be cut.. 4 crew member and 50 tonne, its not easily possible.

But hasn't army expressed their reluctance to accept Arjun MBT on significant numbers because of it's weight issue? Army has to come clear on their agendas before making their final call on this project.

My call is for a parallel project with maximum sub-system commonality with Arjun and featuring an autoloader.

This is an excellent idea. The Arjun has some great strengths and all of its weaknesses can be sorted out if given enough time. As it stands the Arjun Mk.2 is an incredible tank so any future tanks using the Mk.2 to as a foundation are bound to be deadly. What was always needed with the Arjun was a long-term vision of the Arjun and its operations in the IA. What people have always got bogged down in is the fact that the Arjun is not a polished product yet and that there are certain logistical ind infrastructure issues that would take time to fix as opposed to the T-90S that came pretty much ready to go. Additionally the Arjun needed to be integrated into the war-fighting doctrine of the IA which this news suggests it will be. And now it seems the Arjun has the backing of the IA which has reportedly wavered of late.

As more Arjuns are made (of whatever generation) the unit costs will plummet, the maintenance costs will fall, the spares costs will fall, the production rate will increase and the appropriate infrastructure will be built up.

If this is true then Army should order atleast 354 more Arjun Mk II {Six tank regiment proposed for our border with China}....That will bring the number of Arjun MBT in our inventory to around 700...

246 Arjun Mk I +

There are only 124 Arjun Mk-I on order (many of which have already been delivered).
And there are 118 Arjun Mk-II to come - 124 + 118 = 242

IA is looking at an option for 236 more Arjun Mk-IA/Mk-II at a later date, that would make
478 total Arjun-type MBTs.

The order for this new Arjun Mk-III could be upto 500-600 as it may have to replace
the lot of T-72M1 MBTs currently serving in IA. If my estimation regarding Mk-III Arjun
is correct, then it means a grand total of upto ~1,080 Arjun-type tanks. But lets see.

246 Arjun Mk I +

I still think the IA is right when they say the Arjun is not the right Tank for the NE/North, for here the T-90MS may/will still be procured. The Arjun is suited for the plains and as such should be ordered in large numbers for fighting the PA. But if this news is true the number of Arjuns is set to increase.

I still think the IA is right when they say the Arjun is not the right Tank for the NE/North, for here the T-90MS may/will still be procured. The Arjun is suited for the plains and as such should be ordered in large numbers for fighting the PA. But if this news is true the number of Arjuns is set to increase.

Tanks like Arjun, Abrams, Challenger are fit to be used anywhere.

The problem is not the tank but the infrastructure designed to support it - which is still to this day the
reason why only ~240 Arjuns are confirmed.

The problem is not the tank but the infrastructure designed to support it - which is still to this day the

Army can replace more T-72 and T-90s with Arjun and place those tanks in North east.

This is an excellent idea. The Arjun has some great strengths and all of its weaknesses can be sorted out if given enough time. As it stands the Arjun Mk.2 is an incredible tank so any future tanks using the Mk.2 to as a foundation are bound to be deadly. What was always needed with the Arjun was a long-term vision of the Arjun and its operations in the IA. What people have always got bogged down in is the fact that the Arjun is not a polished product yet and that there are certain logistical ind infrastructure issues that would take time to fix as opposed to the T-90S that came pretty much ready to go. Additionally the Arjun needed to be integrated into the war-fighting doctrine of the IA which this news suggests it will be. And now it seems the Arjun has the backing of the IA which has reportedly wavered of late.

As more Arjuns are made (of whatever generation) the unit costs will plummet, the maintenance costs will fall, the spares costs will fall, the production rate will increase and the appropriate infrastructure will be built up.

nicely explained.

Yes, like I said larger orders by the IA will be a catalyst for improvements in infrastructure and other support services.

nicely explained.

Thanks buddy!

Back
Top Bottom