What's new

Arjun mk II ready for trial!

You are kidding right, you want to compare with T-55(37 tonne + WWII era eapon). As per Abrams is concerned, yeah it would be closed to them, actually more heavier than them.
Also tanks are made as per the countries terrain. Arjun is very heavy to work many parts of the country. Apart from this the width is too much, which creates the problem when transported via trains and weight is also a concern again in transportation.

Read my posts: Post 58

How this sound: Arjuna to save rajsthan, Bhishma to save muddy terrain of Punjab, Tank-ex and T72 to guard border till the beasts (arjuna and bhisma ) reach there...

War is won based on plan not weapon... 200 Sardar+ 6 hunters annihilated 2000 strong Army at chandiwala...

:bounce:

Arjuna is very potent machine but it has little drawback..
1. In punjab muddy fields the mobility of heavy tank is questionable. (T90 is good for it)
What makes difference is ground pressure rather than weight. Arjun has more long and more wide tracks than T-90, so I think pressure will be pretty similar.

3. To carry Arjuna, India is planning to buy new carrier planes.
C-17 can take both Arjun and T-90.

Off topic if that's you, you're really pretty ^^ :D

On topic: Anyone know the range of this bad boy?

yes arjun is lil heavy at 58.5 tonnes but its has got pretty decent ground pressure because of its wide tracks.

indian army isnt worried too much abt weight. its more worried abt engine over heating problem and other problems observed in fire controls ystem.

apparently these problems have been fixed. so guys dont worry abt battle potency of arjun.

Missile-firing capable Arjun Tank to go for user trials

New Delhi: The advanced version of the indigenously-developed Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun would be ready for user trials in June, which could set the stage for induction in the Army of the weapon system which will have missile-firing capabilities and laser finders.

The tank would also be equipped with the indigenous explosive-reactive armour to protect it from enemy missiles and rockets.

The tank is likely to be equipped with the Laser Warning Suites and missile-firing capabilities, which are an advancement over the existing versions of the weapon system.

With a striking range of eight kms, the Arjun would be equipped with Laser Range Finders, which will help it to fire Laser Homing Anti Tank missiles to take on enemy tanks and low-level flying aircraft.

The two-phase project to develop the advanced version of the Arjun MK-II was cleared last year and these will be handed over to the Army for trials after the completion of technical trials, DRDO officials said here.

The tank would be developed further under the phase II of the project and would be sent to the Army for trials by the end of 2012, they added.

The Defence Ministry had sanctioned the development of Arjun MK-II with enhanced features over the first lot of 124 tanks that have been delivered to the army over the last two years.

Two regiments of the Arjun MK-I are already deployed in the Rajasthan sector by the Army and a further order for 124 tanks has been placed with the DRDO.

The Army had earlier decided to procure only 124 pieces of the Arjun, but changed its stance after the indigenous tank emerged clear winner in competitive trials with the Russian-origin T-90 in March last year.

Missile-firing capable Arjun Tank to go for user trials

What makes difference is ground pressure rather than weight. Arjun has more long and more wide tracks than T-90, so I think pressure will be pretty similar.
You are right about pressure but still its not suitable to use this tank on all terrains in India. Its DRDO fault but I think should be resolved in FMBT, I am not sure about mkII.

I forgot about this. I think the MRTA build by Indo-Russia JV will also be able to carry Arjun.

Do you have Idea about something like EMT-7 on Arjun :
EMT-7 is a Russian electromagnetic countermine system for clearing minefields and defense against magnetic mines and enemy armor. It projects an electromagnetic pulse to detonate antitank mines and disrupt electronics before the tank reaches them.

You are kidding right, you want to compare with T-55(37 tonne + WWII era eapon). As per Abrams is concerned, yeah it would be closed to them, actually more heavier than them.
Also tanks are made as per the countries terrain. Arjun is very heavy to work many parts of the country. Apart from this the width is too much, which creates the problem when transported via trains and weight is also a concern again in transportation.

Both Centurion and T-55 were from same exactly post WW2 era. T-55 weighted 36 tons, while Centurion - 52 t. Nevertheless Centurion performed perfectly in different envirounments (Middle East, India, Korea). Both in defence and in blitzkrieg style offence. And this despite Centurion was underpowered and had crapy suspension.

Nevertheless Centurion performed perfectly in different envirounments (Middle East, India, Korea).
As you said
What makes difference is ground pressure rather than weight.

@ Veeru
So right now this on is the phase I of mkII. So the next 124 Arjun MBT will feature only phase I features ??// Its written in 1st article that missile firing capability won't be their in the next 124 arjun tanks...

Is there any report on FICV also ??/

Do you have Idea about something like EMT-7 on Arjun :
EMT-7 is a Russian electromagnetic countermine system for clearing minefields and defense against magnetic mines and enemy armor. It projects an electromagnetic pulse to detonate antitank mines and disrupt electronics before the tank reaches them.
I am not sure what exactly will be used on Arjun. Generally EMT is this:

c22bf88c56e1.jpg

It weights 220 kg and attached to tank in 1 hour. Speed of tank during mine clearing with this system is 15 km/h.

Usually EMT works together with KMT-7 mine roller:

2d1967124d66.jpg

Both Centurion and T-55 were from same exactly post WW2 era. T-55 weighted 36 tons, while Centurion - 52 t. Nevertheless Centurion performed perfectly in different envirounments (Middle East, India, Korea). Both in defence and in blitzkrieg style offence. And this despite Centurion was underpowered and had crapy suspension.

You are right about the Centurion. Its biggest plus point was its Gun, potent and amazingly accurate. While its armour did what was required of it.

While the Arjun is a heavier tank, the Arjun exerts lower ground pressure vis-a-vis the T-90, and is faster both cross-country as well as on the roads.

Quite correct on that point as well.

While the Arjun is a heavier tank, the Arjun exerts lower ground pressure vis-a-vis the T-90, and is faster both cross-country as well as on the roads.
Yep. I personally saw many times how 70 ton Merkava was easily passing through mud where 1 ton jeeps were drowning. Its ground pressure what matters. :coffee:

Actully !i see no fault in Arjun weight ,all the western tank except lecrac France are more than 60T even some are closer to 70T like Abrahamz. I don't know why our force always want a high thrust ,more powerful engines . Just look at challenger 2 it uses 1200HP ENGINE FOR 64T .. Power :weight ratio is enough for arjun and comparable to best of western tanks .. Trust me Indian army is covering up a big scam in the name of T 90. No doubt T 90 is a good but why this lame excuse that it can operate in punjab mud quiet easily even though its ground pressure higher than Arjun which makes the difference.... Isn't OMAN USING CHALLENGER 2 DESERT ?isn't Abrahmz in afganistan , iraq and Saudi is still moving ?? Oh!c'mon we got army from far far away land only ride phoren tanks and planes except navy.

You are getting my point wrong. I m not saying that Heavy tank will drown in muddy land...

My point is mobility, heavier machine will be less mobile in muddy land than lighter machine...

I agree that ground pressure is important thing... think about it..

Note: this was the reason Pakistan didn't considered American heavy tank,

Back
Top Bottom