What's new

Arab Spring Reaches Jordan.

A Saudi Spring is urgently needed.

Saudi has its fissures too but unless the economy starts to really crack (if the Arab economies were fine there would be no Arab spring, the Tunisian revolution which first started off the Arab spring was really about economics and hardship) things will remain stable there.

Most Saudis see their King as a benevolent father figure, a symbol of the country just as much as the flag is (obviously not literally especially since the Saudi flag has the kalima).

Eddie my brother, it is very complicated but...Muslims have a lot of problems and bad inside them (whatever race be they Arab, Bangladeshi, Turk etc) which is why we have the problems that we do.

What you are wishing for will take decades...of reform and self-improvement.

Re topic: Good news, I'm glad. I was in the country over a week ago in a transit from Saudi and felt that something like this could happen. Jordan as a society is deterioriating gradually.
Its your internal issues, I cannot say much but, the men who believes the same god and book should be united and defense your enemy. Decades is not a big deal, the progress within is the key issue, but unluckily, I could not see any serious development in the past years, I am not sure the Arabic Spring will really success or not. Within the Arabs, they are divided into so many countries. Sometimes I felt very lucky China fell but not divided.
Hopefully some good things will happen.

Saudi has its fissures too but unless the economy starts to really crack (if the Arab economies were fine there would be no Arab spring, the Tunisian revolution which first started off the Arab spring was really about economics and hardship) things will remain stable there.

Most Saudis see their King as a benevolent father figure, a symbol of the country just as much as the flag is (obviously not literally especially since the Saudi flag has the kalima).
Its very difficult in Saudi, they have too much oil, the King can easily assure everybody a good life. The citizens there have everything, sacrifice themselves for a revolution is a big deal.

For as long as the oil last and government can continue to shove forced employment of Saudi under X Y Z programs. Once that climaxes will be the end game. Already the new Saudi generation is almost atheist and fed up of royal family.

For as long as the oil last and government can continue to shove forced employment of Saudi under X Y Z programs. Once that climaxes will be the end game. Already the new Saudi generation is almost atheist and fed up of royal family.

I think it's a generational thing.

Youth tend to want to enjoy the world, material and sensual things and thus dislike religion as they see it as restrictive, this being the case in Saudi.

However as they age most of this youth then "mature" (become more conservative) and are comfortable with Islam.

But yes if the Saudi family don't sort out economic issues then things will get hot.

As for the fissures there are quite a few.

Sunni v Shia

Najdi v Non-Najdi (e.g. Hejazi), everyone in Saudi knows it is a greater Najdi state and Najdis know that they are de facto above Hejazis e.g. Jiddawis.

Conservatives v Secularists

Salafists v non-Salafists (e.g. Malikis etc). We can even go in to the Madkhali v Surooree etc and all these other intra-Salafi disputes.

Anyway as a Muslim I hope things will stay stable in Saudi and to be honest I think they will. Maybe there will be change, maybe even the end of the Saudi family in a few decades, but I don't think there will be upheaval or turmoil in the "Ard al Muqaddas" (I am referring primarily to Hejaz) of KSA.

Jordan has ties with Israel....

Mubarak also had ties with israel but in the end even that couldn't save his rear end. What began in Tunisia is bound to happen in every Arab state ruled by ruthless and corrupt despots. It's a question of when and how not a question of if.

Back
Top Bottom