What's new

Any questions regarding Sri Lanka

What is origin of the name Ceylon, because ancient Indian texts have been using the word "Lanka" for your island.

English (British) used as "Ceylon" which come from the Portuguese naming "Ceilao".
Lanka means in Sinhalese "island", Sri Lanka means "Great Island" etc

There are many more ancient names,
Sinhala, hela, Serandip, Thambapanni, Sinhale, heladiva, heladivaina etc

How is your view on Vietnam and its people?

Like??

Anyways I think the media played a good role in 'educating' Srilankans about India which was seen in your question yesterday about why Indian buses and taxis look old.

example, I have seen pics mentioning "Do not urinate here" in English and some other language in closer to "main roads". But people do openly. These things are not related to poverty, this is mainly discipline issue. why they can't do that hiding somewhere?

Majority of Indian buses/taxis look old. I didn't mention that India doesn't have new buses etc. My question was Indian has a great automobile industry but why I don't see it above sections.

example, I have seen pics mentioning "Do not urinate here" in English and some other language in closer to "main roads". But people do openly. These things are not related to poverty, this is mainly discipline issue.
Well fix a picture of a god on the wall and problem solved.
why they can't do that hiding somewhere?

Most do hide..but damn the photographers :hitwall:

Majority of Indian buses/taxis look old. I didn't mention that India doesn't have new buses etc.

Well cannot say that for my city which is a tier 3 city. Most of the times when channels like BBC show India, they show stock videos of people jam packed into buses, as if they have some problems showing the low floor, A/C buses now plying the roads. Its true that most of the local buses look old bcs they are ex-long route buses, which after a specific set of year will run in short local routes and then will be sold for scrap. The long route buses now a days are increasingly dominated by brands like Volvo, Mercez Benz etc.

m going to China via Srilanka so got a stay in Colombo for like 20 hours...n I need to smoke ganja so tell me how easily can i get it or what to say to the people? tell me the best places to visit in Colombo

English (British) used as "Ceylon" which come from the Portuguese naming "Ceilao".
Lanka means in Sinhalese "island", Sri Lanka means "Great Island" etc

In Hindi Sri/Shri is used for "Mr." while Shrimati is used for Mrs. Sri/Shri also means wealth or Hindu Goddess Lakshmi.

How is your view on Vietnam and its people?

Average Sri Lankan does not have much knowledge about Vietnam, people know Vietnam as the country who defeated USA.
Vietnam people are friendly, bit silence sometimes but active than Thais.

My GF is a Thai, Thais are too lazy mostly. :D I personally think Vietnam will pass the Thailand in the developed nation race.

In India Hindu keeps high regards for Buddhism and Buddhism keeps the same towards Hindus. But I don't see such environment among Sri Lankans, they love to insult Hinduism.

m going to China via Srilanka so got a stay in Colombo for like 20 hours...n I need to smoke ganja so tell me how easily can i get it or what to say to the people? tell me the best places to visit in Colombo

lol you will get a chance to enjoy some experience in SL jail. :D

Ganja is a banned drug in SL, so don't bring or try to travel having those. If the airport officers have some doubts they will check.
Anyway there are ways to have ganja in Colombo, be friendly with a tuk tuk driver. They will help you. ;)

In Hindi Sri/Shri is used for "Mr." while Shrimati is used for Mrs. Sri/Shri also means wealth or Hindu Goddess Lakshmi.

"Sri" has a lot of meanings in Sinhalese, "great, honour, respectful, wealth, rich, etc "

Yep for 99 years, (depending on the investment.)
If you're just looking for living in Sri Lanka, There is a program too.

Thanks a Ton Mate, You just answered My Question.

Any More Info Regarding To "Program" You mentioned ?

Regards

In India Hindu keeps high regards for Buddhism and Buddhism keeps the same towards Hindus. But I don't see such environment among Sri Lankans, they love to insult Hinduism.

Who told that? Even we are Buddhists we do visit Hindu kovils! I do visit, my brother is on holiday visiting one of kovil at this moment.

Back
Top Bottom