What's new

Ajmal Kasab's Indian trial

Tests to find Mumbai suspect age

Ajmal Amir Qasab is alleged to have opened fire on commuters

An Indian court has ordered medical tests to determine the age of the leading suspect in last November's deadly attacks in Mumbai (Bombay).

Judge ML Tahiliyani's order said a doctor would carry out bone and dental tests on the lone surviving suspected gunman, Mohammed Ajmal Amir Qasab.

Lawyers for Mr Qasab, who is in a high-security jail in the city, say he is under 18 and want him tried as a minor.

More than 170 people, including nine gunmen, were killed in the attacks.

Mr Qasab, who Indian police say is 21, is charged with murder and waging war on India. He faces the death penalty if convicted.

'Settle the matter'

The test report is exected to be presented before the court next Tuesday, the BBC's Prachi Pinglay in Mumbai says.

Chief public prosecutor in the trial, Ujjwal Nikam, had filed an application earlier this week requesting the court to settle the matter of Mr Qasab's age before the trial began.

"Since the defence lawyer has raised a doubt about his age and even if the matter is resolved for the time being, it would be better if the issue is solved once and for all," he told the court.

Mr Qasab's lawyer, Abbas Kazmi, claimed last week that his client should be tried in a juvenile court. The application was rejected.

Mr Kazmi also retracted a confession his client made in front of a magistrate in February, saying it was extracted through coercion and force.

It will be up to the judge to weigh the evidence at the trial and decide whether the confession should be taken into account.

The prosecution had read out parts of his confession as the trial began and accused him of killing 166 people.

Two Indians, Fahim Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, are also on trial, accused of being members of the Lashkar-e-Taiba militant group and of scouting for the attacks.

India has accused Pakistan-based fighters from Lashkar-e-Taiba of carrying out the attacks. Pakistan has admitted they were partly planned on its soil.

Qasab was arrested on the first day of the attacks and has been in custody ever since.

A huge security operation has been launched for the trial involving hundreds of armed police and soldiers.

Kasab treated better than me: Varun

Kasab gets tandoori chicken, I get lauki: Varun

Bharatiya Janata Party leader Varun Gandhi on Tuesday said that Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the terror attack on Mumbai , was being pampered with tandoori chicken while he was jailed under the stringent National Security Act and fed the lowly lauki

Kasab now demands Perfume, Toothpaste & Evening Walks

Ajmal Amir Kasab, who killed scores of people during the terror attacks in Mumbai on the night of November 26 last year, now feels “mentally frustrated” sitting lonely in the confines of the now-highly-fortified Arthur Road Jail here and wants to take a stroll in the verandaah outside his cell.

This is one of the fresh demands made on Wednesday by the lone captured 26/11 attacker, before the Special Court hearing the Mumbai terror attacks case.

The Pakistani, who hails from Faridkot in Punjab, told the court that he was finding it difficult sitting lonely in the confines of the four walls and wanted to stroll in the verandaah to get some fresh air.

"The jail courtyard is secured from all sides. If I continue to remain in this cell, I will lose my mental balance," he pleaded through his lawyer.

The court had recently rejected Kasab’s demand to have access to newspapers, while allowing his lawyer to lend him some books for reading.

Kasab however again requested the court today to let him have access to an Urdu newspaper, the ‘Urdu Times’, defence lawyer Abbas Kazmi told reporters outside the court.

The Mumbai attacker also put forth other demands before the court, saying he wanted to have flavoured toothpaste and a perfume/deodorant.

Kasab has also sought that all his personal belongings and money confiscated after his arrest, should be deposited in the jail accounts in his name.

Special Court judge ML Tahilyani meanwhile adjourned ruling on the medical reports pertaining to the age of Kasab till May 2.

Kazmi had this morning summoned two medicos as witnesses to give their opinion in the matter of Kasab's age based on a dental examination and a bone test.

Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said that the testimony of the two medicos - S Nandankar of Sir JJ Hospital and Yogita Devkar of Nair Hospital - has proved that Kasab's age could be between 20-25 years at the time of the Mumbai terror attacks.

"This proves our contention that the age (21 years) given by Kasab on three different occasions before different authorities was correct," Nikam pointed out.

Kasab now demands Perfume, Toothpaste & Evening Walks | India.com

hey what's wrong if he wants to smell good :lol:but jokes apart i mean what does VARUN GANDI want....and why is this trial being so publicized hang the darn basta*d finish it off!!!

Mumbai attacks suspect (Kasab) to be tried as adult

Sun, May 3 05:33 AM

MUMBAI, India (AP) The only surviving suspected gunman in last year's terrorist attacks in Mumbai will be tried as an adult, which means he could face the death penalty, the presiding judge said. The defense lawyer representing Mohammed Ajmal Kasab said his client was 17 at the time of the November attacks and should be tried by a juvenile court.

But Indian medical experts declared that Kasab is at least 20 after examining his teeth and X-rays of his bones. Judge M.L. Tahiliyani, who was presiding over his trial, ruled Saturday that the medical tests were enough to prove Kasab was an adult at the time of the attacks.

Prosecutors say Kasab, a Pakistani, was one of 10 attackers responsible for killing 166 people and wounding 304 more during the three-day siege of India's financial capital. Nine other suspects were killed during the attacks.

He will face the death penalty if convicted. Had he been tried as a minor, Kasab would have faced a maximum of three years in prison

See its quite clear from whats happening, he's just trying to derail and waste time of the court. He is really too smart and he know how our judiciary system works and is trying to take advantage of that or he was asked by this advocate to do so. But its better to get all the things cleared out so that he will not get any chance to get out and futher derail the trial in future. :agree:

See its quite clear from whats happening, he's just trying to derail and waste time of the court. He is really too smart and he know how our judiciary system works and is trying to take advantage of that or he was asked by this advocate to do so. But its better to get all the things cleared out so that he will not get any chance to get out and futher derail the trial in future. :agree:

That's true and I'm really surprised the stand defense advocate took on this case. This guy know what Kasab did and he is still trying to save his A$$. He may be justifying it as his obligation to the client / duty :hitwall:

But as far as GOI is concerned they should take the opportunity to set an example that any enemy of nation will not be spared by setting a super fast track court and get the verdict with in three months.

I'm still concerned that Congress has perceived this as sensitive and concluded that this will impact their vote bank. They definitely will delay or avoid making any decision until elections are over and next Govt. is formed.

PS: Its very Very unfortunate that any party in center would have followed the same path which Congress has followed...:angry::angry:

Mother of girl killed on 26/11 identifies Kasab
Mother of girl killed on 26/11 identifies Kasab - Mumbai - Cities - The Times of India
MUMBAI: A housewife, whose six-year-old daughter was killed at CST during the 26/11 terror attack, identified Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab in
court on Thursday.

The woman broke down when special prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam asked her to recall the events of the night. "My daughter Afreen was writhing in pain in my lap. She was bleeding and then died. I lost consciousness,'' the 25-year-old woman, a resident of Bandra, said.

The woman pointed to Kasab and said, "He was one of them.'' She said she was waiting with her husband to take a train to Aurangabad when she heard explosions and firing from all sides. "My daughter was hit on the back while I sustained bullet injuries on the left leg,'' she said.

During cross-examination by Kasab's lawyer, Abbas Kazmi, the woman said: "Why should I lie before court? I have lost my daughter.'' Her husband, who had escaped on 26/11 because he had gone out to buy some eatables, was also present in court.

The court also heard the testimony of a GRP constable who fired at terrorists and forced them to leave the CST premises.

Kasab complained to judge M L Tahaliyani that he had been "shown'' to the witnesses while he was being brought to court. Nikam said if it had happened, it was not deliberate and officials would ensure that it did not recur.

26/11: 10-year-old girl identifies Ajmal ‘Kasab’
The Hindu : Front Page : 26/11: 10-year-old girl identifies Ajmal ‘Kasab’
Mumbai: A child who was badly injured in the Mumbai terror attacks deposed before the Special Sessions Court on Wednesday. Ten-year-old Devika Rotawar entered the witness box on crutches. She told the court that she was shot in her right leg and that she had seen the attackers. She identified the lone surviving gunman Mohammad Ajmal Amir ‘Kasab’ in court.

The little girl said that on November 26, 2008, she was waiting at the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) with her father and brother. The trio was waiting to board a train to Pune.

“Suddenly, there was a loud explosion followed by firing. My brother ran in one direction. A bullet hit my leg and I fell [unconscious]. I don’t know what happened after that.”

Devika’s leg was broken and she had lost a lot of blood. She regained consciousness by 4 a.m. on November 27 at a hospital. The father carrying his fragile child in his arms into the courtroom and the controlled and confident testimony of the little girl was a poignant moment in the ongoing terror trial.

Ajmal’s lawyer Abbas Kazmi had objected to her testifying on the grounds that she was a child witness and her statement had not been recorded by the police. The judge M.L. Tahaliyani overruled the objection. He said Devika was a natural witness to the case and the prosecutor could not be prevented from examining her. He noted that there was no such statutory bar that witnesses whose statements have not been recorded could not depose, although in normal course of events that would be the case.

To ascertain if the girl understood the sanctity of the oath, the judge asked her if she knew what ‘god’ meant. Devika said ‘yes.’ “Can you lie if you have taken an oath on god?” he asked. “No, you are sinned against [paap lagta hai] if you do that,” she said. During the cross-examination, Devika denied she was lying.

Her father, Natwarlal Rotawar, who deposed before her, was too distraught while giving his account. He recounted the CST events, the attackers’ appearance and the developments after his daughter was shot. When asked to identify the attacker, he pointed to Ajmal and launched a bitter verbal attack on him.

“Hang him. He has ruined my daughter’s future,” he told the court. The defence did not cross-examine him to a great length because of his highly excited state.

As the witnesses gave their accounts, Ajmal appeared disturbed; he closed his eyes from time to time. Another witness, Farooqui Khaliluddin, a farmer, who was at CST with his son, narrated the mayhem when the attackers were on a killing spree. He described Ajmal as the one who was spraying bullets with glee. Both Khaliluddin and his son were injured in a grenade attack perpetrated by Ajmal’s partner Abu Ismail.

“I can identify the attackers. Who can forget what happened with us? The shrapnel pieces are still in my body. The doctor has advised me against an operation. The particles would not cause any harm,” he said.

Khaliluddin said that his son, a medical student in Moscow, was so badly injured that he joined college a month late. Owing to this, the family had to pay extra fees of Rs. 1,20,000. On a lighter note, he remarked, “Before my son could become a doctor, he became a patient.”

He denied Mr. Kazmi’s suggestion that he could have seen Ajmal’s photo in the media. Police inspector Bharat Bhosale also testified. He said although he had a pistol and saw Ajmal and Ismail firing, he could not open fire, as there was a mad rush of people.

My daughter died in my arms, then I fell unconscious: witness
My daughter died in my arms, then I fell unconscious: witness
Mumbai: Had the train left CST on time on 26/11 last year, 25-year-old Nafisa Qureshi would not have lost her six-year-old daughter Afreen in the firing by arrested terrorist Ajmal Kasab and his associate Abu Ismail Khan.

On Thursday, Qureshi stood weeping in the dock at the special sessions court housed inside the Arthur Road prison while deposing against Kasab, Fahim Ansari and Sabahuddin Ahmed. The witness, who also suffered bullet injuries on her leg, said, “I was pregnant and was going to my parents’ place in Aurangabad. The train was to leave at 9.10 pm, but was late and so we were waiting at the railway station.”

It was only after she heard a loud sound that she got up to check what had happened. The attackers were firing indiscriminately. “One bullet hit my daughter on the back while another hit me on the leg, and we both fell down,” she said.

Identifying Kasab as the attacker, Qureshi said, “He is the attacker, my girl was struggling, she died in my arms, then I fell unconscious.” To a suggestion from Kasab’s lawyer Abbas Kazmi that she was making a false deposition at the instance of the police, she said, “Your child didn’t die in the attack, you were not there, so you can make such claims.”

The prosecution also examined Railway Police Force head constable Jullu Yadav who had shown exemplary courage on the day. Yadav, who was posted at the main entrance of CST, had rushed to the local line area on hearing the sound of firing. He saw Khan loading his AK-47 rifle and another policeman near the police help post ducking with his 303 SLR rifle. “I rushed to the guard, took his rifle and tried to open fire at the terrorists, but couldn’t as the rifle was locked.”

He told the court he had thrown a plastic chair at the terrorists when they opened fire in his direction. Yadav also identified Kasab in the court.

A 22-year-old Home Guard, Dhananjay Haribhau Gawli, was also examined. He told the court that he had seen Kasab firing at the passengers. “I was helping people to escape when the terrorists came towards me, and I hid in the public toilet.”

The prosecution examined two more witnesses — Kishor Kale and Raghu Kharat, both railway employees who were present at CST during the attack. Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said, “These witness were examined to prove that the incident had happened at CST and many people were killed and injured in it.”

Kasab’s complaint
Kazmi moved an application before the court on Thursday after Kasab complained that he was being “shown” to witnesses in the high security area before they entered the witness box for depositions. He told the court: “When I was being brought to the court, witnesses were walking towards the court, and I was asked to stop before them.” Kazmi took strong objection to this, but Nikam told the court that if committed, it was not deliberate, and promised that it will not recur. The court said it could enquire into the matter if it felt necessary and asked the investigating officer to file a reply on the plea.

Kazmi also moved an application requesting the court not to allow relatives of witnesses to sit inside the courtroom when they were deposing. This plea was moved after Qureshi’s husband Shadab took objection to Kazmi asking questions to his wife. However, the court rejected his plea, saying no untoward incidents had happened in the court.

Kasab breaks down after watching 26/11 attack photos
Mon, Jun 15 06:40 PM

Mumbai, June 15 (ANI): Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving terrorist involved the terror attacks in Mumbai on November 26, 2008, broke down in court after photographs of the crime were shown to him.

He, however, told the judge that he was feeling unwell.

Sebastian D'Souza, a photojournalist, on Monday identified Kasab in a special court hearing as one of the persons who had opened fire inside the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST) on November 26 and provided photographs to support his evidence.

He placed 100 photographs that he had shot on the night of November 26 before the court.

The photographs clear capture the gunmen firing indiscriminately at people inside the rail terminus. Over 50 persons were killed in that attack.

D'Souza is the first witness to provide documentary evidence of the terror attack.

The court has taken 20 of the 100 photographs on record, three of them showing Kasab holding an AK-47 assault rifle and also firing with it. Four other photographs are of Kasab and fellow gunman Abu Ismail firing at people inside the rail terminus.

D'souza said that he was working in a newspaper whose head office is located just opposite to CST and on the night of November 26, he came down from the building to go to Hotel Taj, another site of the terror strikes.

However, as he reached the gate of his office, he heard explosions inside CST and ran to the suburban rail section of the terminus.

The moment he went towards main waiting area of CST station, D'Souza said he saw two gunmen shooting but did not take the photographs due to lack of light.

He backtracked to the suburban rail section and clicked photographs of the gunmen from two platforms where he took cover, D'Souza said.

When the photographs were being displayed in court, Kasab was seen curiously looking at them from the dock since he was unaware that they were taken at the time of the attack.

"The photographs are independent pieces of evidence and carry the value of an eyewitness, and therefore, is regarded as documentary evidence," Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam said. (ANI)

ANI

26/11 trial: Qasab pleads guilty in court

26/11 trial: Qasab pleads guilty in court

By: Agencies Date: 2009-07-20 Place:Mumbai
Mid Day Archives

Pakistani terrorist Mohammed Ajmal Amir alias Kasab Monday confessed to his role in carrying out the Nov 26, 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.

He has also confessed before Special Judge M.L. Tahilyani that he is a Pakistani national and owned up his involvement in the attacks at Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus and nearby Cama hospital in south Mumbai.

Kasab admitted that he came in a boat from Karachi along with nine other terrorists to carry out the dastardly acts on the night of November 26 in four places including the iconic Taj and Oberoi Hotels.

in a makeshift court room in Mumbai's Arthur Road jail. Kasab and other terrorists have been also charged with killing five crew members of the boat "Kuber" with which they reached the shores of Mumbai from Pakistan.

They also face charges of planting a bomb in a taxi that exploded in Vile Parle besides firing at CST and Cama hospital, killing three policemen near Rang Bhavan. They have been accused of stealing a Skoda car and killing a policeman at Chowpatty.

Kasab and other accused also face conspiracy charges for the firing at hotels Taj and Oberoi, Nariman House, Leopold Cafe restaurant and planting a bomb that exploded at Mazgaon.

Prosecution has said Kasab and other suspected members of Pakisan-based Lashkar-e-Toiba were able to succeed in their designs to strike terror in Mumbai on November 26 because of maps allegedly provided by co-accused Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin.

Kasab's confession is a big victory for prosecution, said Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam.

The confession by 21-year-old Kasab comes on the 65th day of the trial.

As a prosecution witness stepped into the box in the court to depose today, Kasab sought permission to speak to his lawyer Abbas Kazmi.

He consulted Kazmi for about half a minute after which the lawyer informed the court that Kasab wanted to confess. Special public prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam objected saying that at this stage of the trial, the accused could not confess before the court.

The judge overruled his objection and allowed Kasab to proceed with his confession.

Kasab described how he and slain terrorist Abu Ismail had opened fire at CST, Cama hospital and other places killing people.

Kasab had appeared before the court for the first time through video-conferencing. Hewas served with an 11,000-page chargesheet which was filed by the crime branch against 38 accused in the November 26 terror strikes.

Out of the 38 accused, 35 Pakistani nationals and operatives of LeT have been shown as wanted. They include Zaki-ur-Rehman Laqvi, Yousif Muzammil, Abu Kafa, Abu Ramza and Zarar Shah. It included names of two suspected Pakistani armymen.

The accused have been charged under various sections of Indian Penal Code, including waging war against nation and criminal conspiracy and under the Foreigners Act, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and Customs Act.

All 26/11 guilty should be hanged: Chavan

The Mumbai terror attacks trial should be completed quickly and all those involved in the attacks "should be hanged", Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said here today.

"All those involved in the 26/11 attacks should be hanged," Chavan said, reacting to the lone arrested terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Kasab today pleading guilty to his involvement in the terror strikes that left over 180 dead.

"All people involved in the attacks should be hanged so that the victims get justice," he said. The 26/11 trial should be conducted quickly, the Chief Minister said.

----

With lots of emphasis on Pakistani...

Whatever take one has on this issue, one item is inescapable, India has once again put Pakistan in the court of public opinion as culpable, and Pakistan now have little option but to craft a more nuanced position, which nevertheless, must see those named by the self professed terrorist Kasab, are brought to answer in a court of law.

The suggestion that Kasab is actually an Indian intelligence operative and that the Indian intelligence services concocted this entire operations, is, well, difficult to buy into - and so, one wonders what the larger purpose of this operation and again, the dramatic confession are - one clear victim is, once again, whatever peace process or diplomacy of normal relation between Pakistan and India.

India have demanded that the so called "infrastructure" of terrorism be dismantled in Pakistan -- is there such a infrastructure in Pakistan?? Reasonable observers may conclude the so called Islamists or Jihadis constitute just such an infrastructure - the question then to be dealt with, is whether that is a net plus or a net negative for Pakistan - It's difficult to make a case that these are a net plus - dismantling these is good for not just for Pakistan's neighbors, but for Pakistan, for Pakistan to once again be in conformity with Jinnah's vision, of a nation of free, conscious Muslims, a Pakistan's peoples and it's neighbors can be proud of as well.

Whatever take one has on this issue, one item is inescapable, India has once again put Pakistan in the court of public opinion as culpable, and Pakistan now have little option but to craft a more nuanced position, which nevertheless, must see those named by the self professed terrorist Kasab, are brought to answer in a court of law.

The suggestion that Kasab is actually an Indian intelligence operative and that the Indian intelligence services concocted this entire operations, is, well, difficult to buy into - and so, one wonders what the larger purpose of this operation and again, the dramatic confession are - one clear victim is, once again, whatever peace process or diplomacy of normal relation between Pakistan and India.

India have demanded that the so called "infrastructure" of terrorism be dismantled in Pakistan -- is there such a infrastructure in Pakistan?? Reasonable observers may conclude the so called Islamists or Jihadis constitute just such an infrastructure - the question then to be dealt with, is whether that is a net plus or a net negative for Pakistan - It's difficult to make a case that these are a net plus - dismantling these is good for not just for Pakistan's neighbors, but for Pakistan, for Pakistan to once again be in conformity with Jinnah's vision, of a nation of free, conscious Muslims, a Pakistan's peoples and it's neighbors can be proud of as well.

Its a refreshing change to read a sane opinion here onthe sordid saga of Mumbai.

Things must`change, we cannot go on like this forever. We'll end up harming each other - irepairably.

What is worse is that few in Pk agree to that all this is harming Pk more than any one else.

Back
Top Bottom