What's new

Ahmadinejad says Iran building three-stage rocket

Fighter488

Reaction score
Ahmadinejad says Iran building three-stage rocket
(AFP) – 32 minutes ago

TEHRAN —
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Iran is working on a three-stage rocket to carry a satellite 1,000 kilometres (more than 600 miles) into space, Fars news agency reported on Thursday.

"The country's scientists are working on a three-stage rocket that will take us to 1,000 kilometres," Ahmadinejad, quoted by Fars, told a local television in the western city of Hamedan.

He said the rocket's engines would have a thrust of between 120 and 140 tonnes, four times greater than the rocket thrust used to launch Iran's first satellite into space in February 2009.

"Last time, we sent a satellite to 250 kilometres ... Next year it will be sent to 700 kilometres, and the year after that to 1,000 kilometres," he said.

The launch of Iran's first satellite, named Omid, stirred a wave of criticism from Western countries which fear the potential uses of the Islamic republic's ambitious space programme.

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved.

It is quite a big jump from thier Umid adventure last year. 700 KG payload up into space 1000 KM away would definitely give a major boost in Iran to satellite communication and transmission, telephony, border and maritime monitoring, weather forecasting and a BIG HEADACHE to arch foe Israel. :)

I am very intrigued with their progress, is it homegrown or Russian aided ? !! Further I always thought that Pakistan was way ahead of them, but these guys have managed to put a small satellite into space, something which Pakistan has not achieved as yet

They already showed the first stage earlier this year, composed of clustered Shahaab-esque engines. The President's propos of "4 times the thrust" seem to corroborate this.

What will be interesting is the upper stages. A Nodong cluster shouldn't be sufficiently powerful to host an equi-diameter second stage. Keeping my fingers crossed, I'm betting on the 1.5m-diameter second stage that the N.Koreans had on the Unha. The third stage should be small and could probably use the Verner engines from the Safiir upper stage.

In this configuration, this rocket equals or surpasses the early Chinese LV developped from the DF-3 rocket that delivered 900kg to LEO.

iran will get bombed soon at this rate. the US won't let it get nukes and an icbm. no way.

iran will get bombed soon at this rate. the US won't let it get nukes and an icbm. no way.

Iran is indeed headed to disaster. They need to really back up their threats and then some. But I hope a diplomatic answer is achieved and Ahmedinejad and his extreme right wing revolutionary type folks get less power in the future. But that will never happen. Lately a friend from Iran told me that present regime is openly Masonic and Islamic Revolution was a Masonic conspiracy.

Iran is indeed headed to disaster. They need to really back up their threats and then some. But I hope a diplomatic answer is achieved and Ahmedinejad and his extreme right wing revolutionary type folks get less power in the future. But that will never happen. Lately a friend from Iran told me that present regime is openly Masonic and Islamic Revolution was a Masonic conspiracy.

whats means by openly masonic. never heard that before.

I think that a great idea simply because it tends to be a more truth than stating that Iran is going to develop something like S-300 or F22

Back
Top Bottom