What's new

Afghan students flock to India's universities

Indian-Pakistanis can have decieving looks for particular community but you can pick out an Afghan from thousands of Indians

I have seen some very dark Afghans too though. They looked like Indians to me.

I have Indians friends too.

I can't understand a lot of words when they speak hindi.

One very common example it would be Indians saying chapati, whereas we say rotii.

chapati and roti are used interchange-ably (synonyms), we use rotii more often than chapatti in everyday life...

One very common example it would be Indians saying chapati, whereas we say rotii.

Not always, I say Roti.... it depends..... there's a lot of variance among Indians. You may have met a few. I understand what my friends speak very clearly probably because I am aware of quite a few Urdu words. Definitely there are some words, whose meaning I have to ask them.

Indian-Pakistanis can have decieving looks for particular community but you can pick out an Afghan from thousands of Indians

Not really. It varies among communities. An Afghan a European and an Indian, standing side by side, you can only distinguish the European separately.

Not always, I say Roti.... it depends..... there's a lot of variance among Indians. You may have met a few. I understand what my friends speak very clearly probably because I am aware of quite a few Urdu words. Definitely there are some words, whose meaning I have to ask them.

This is a Pakistani drama of a guy meeting a girl from India(not really, actress is Nadia Khan), but they are speaking hindi.

I got no idea what they are saying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not really. It varies among communities. An Afghan a European and an Indian, standing side by side, you can only distinguish the European separately.

This is not a race related thread, so better to stop discussin. ALso afghans do look different from Indians, they are somewhere in between what Indians and Europeans look like, but closer to indians (as they are located geographicaly). Some afghans i have met are dark, while others are pretty white, depends on the person....

Thanks, India has always helped the core to make Afghanistan self sufficient in every sector; basically they teach us how to fish!

They are welcome. I have come across many Afghan students in DU itself..they are generally very courteous and hard working to the point of nausea..our fellow students were joking about how it would be bad coz they'd provide very harsh academic competition. Kha woraz walary.

This is a Pakistani drama of a guy meeting a girl from India(not really, actress is Nadia Khan), but they are speaking hindi.

The reason is Urdu and Hindi have many different words. If you don't know them distinctly you won't understand. In India, there are schools were Urdu is taught. I have seen board papers in Urdu. Many people who have given board exams must have seen. Urdu is one of Indian languages. Moreover our Muslim friends converse in Urdu sometimes. Hence we are aware of the terms. Even our Film Industry also uses number of Urdu words. Hence Indians generally become aware of Urdu words.

It might not be same for Pakistanis as there's no usage of Hindi in Pakistan. Hence probably it'll be more difficult to you to understand Hindi than for us to understand Urdu.

A lot of those words are pure (older forms of) hindi, stuff that is not spoken much in India today, much like Shakespearean English in UK.

If you watch Bollywood movies, or have ever watched one, that is an accurate depiction of the Hindi that is spoken normally in India. Its more hinglish these days in urban india, roughly 25% english and 75% hindi.

The reason is Urdu and Hindi have many different words. If you don't know them distinctly you won't understand. In India, there are schools were Urdu is taught. I have seen board papers in Urdu. Many people who have given board exams must have seen. Urdu is one of Indian languages. Moreover our Muslim friends converse in Urdu sometimes. Hence we are aware of the terms. Even our Film Industry also uses number of Urdu words. Hence Indians generally become aware of Urdu words.

It might not be same for Pakistanis as there's no usage of Hindi in Pakistan. Hence probably it'll be more difficult to you to understand Hindi than for us to understand Urdu.

Back in the day we use have hindu cartoon shows where they would explain adventures of hindu gods as kids and Hindu religious tales.

Even in that program, they did not use hindi but Urdu.

Back in the day we use have hindu cartoon shows where they would explain adventures of hindu gods as kids and Hindu religious tales.

Even in that program, they did not use hindi but Urdu.

yeah. that's what I was saying...... no usage of Hindi in Pakistan, hence it becomes difficult for you to understand the language but because of usage of Urdu in India, it's comparatively easier for us.

This is not a race related thread, so better to stop discussin. ALso afghans do look different from Indians, they are somewhere in between what Indians and Europeans look like, but closer to indians (as they are located geographicaly). Some afghans i have met are dark, while others are pretty white, depends on the person....

I don't want to show anyone down and think superiority doesn't come with skin color else I could have easily contradicted you here. Anyways even I don't want to go much into this discussion hence won't comment.

Seats to foreign students are not from quotas allocated to Indian students. So lets not mix up things. The current quota mess is not concerned with current discussion.

But they are still allocated from the total number of seats offered in a university even if under a different category. Let's not forget that.

The point of having an education program is in building relations with countries. 'Bright' students should see India as a friendly country, because, most often than not, they will in the future be influencers in their countries of origin.

We have the program for years. Pray tell me what has it changed in our neighbourhood? Nothing. Other than Afghans, Nepalis, Bhutanese and Burmese, none have any regard for India.

So why should we waste our limited sources.

If you notice, I specifically mentioned arts and humanities for Pakistani and Chinese students. This will help expose these students to Indian culture and sensibilities. And to a large extent a shared history.

Chinese students are open to arts and culture. Do you really think Pakistani students would be trusted in our universities to study our arts and culture which essentially comes from our ancient culture? Think again.

But they are still allocated from the total number of seats offered in a university even if under a different category. Let's not forget that.
Its constitutionally defined at 5%. Its not removed from anywhere else. Also, for your information this typically goes unutilised.

We have the program for years. Pray tell me what has it changed in our neighbourhood? Nothing. Other than Afghans, Nepalis, Bhutanese and Burmese, none have any regard for India.

The objective of this program is not to bring change now. The amount of goodwill created by students who have studied and left is not calculable. Take a simple example on this forum. People from Pakistan who have traveled abroad and studied in another culture have a better appreciation of that culture. So in a simple phrase. It works. Takes time, but. works.

So why should we waste our limited sources.

Like I said in my first fact. We are not.

Chinese students are open to arts and culture. Do you really think Pakistani students would be trusted in our universities to study our arts and culture which essentially comes from our ancient culture? Think again.

And why should we take the decision on whether they will want to study or not. If they don't want to, it anyway goes back to the general quota. To give you an example, the person debunking the myth of languages is a Pakistani, not an American or foreigner.

Would be nice to know @Joe Shearer view on this.

few weeks ago :D

Afghan, Indian students clash at Sharda University

The Sharda University campus in Greater Noida had turned into a virtual battleground late on Monday night after a clash broke out between Afghan and Indian students leaving nine of them injured.

According to the police, the clash started over car parking but students alleged that an Afghan girl was eve-teased by some students on the campus. The clashing students were calmed within an hour.

Spokesperson of the university Ravi Shankar Upadhayay said, "It was a minor fight which turned ugly. The university has postponed its ongoing examinations for a week as it will remain shut and the national hostel has been vacated."

Sources say the fight started after some students passed comments on an Afghan girl. Initially, Afghan students took to violence. "Indian students abused them. As the news spread, national students living in other hostels gathered on the spot. They pelted stones and vandalised university property. Some students broke window panes of cars and glass doors and windows," said Brijesh Kumar, Superintendent of Police (rural).

According to the police, there were over 1,000 protesters. Police from Gautam Budh Nagar district along with 10 companies of PAC (Provincial Armed Constabulary) were deployed to control violence.

The police force from Ghaziabad, Meerut and Bulandshahr were also chipped in. No FIR has been registered but CCTV footage has been collected, the police said.

Afghan, Indian students clash at Sharda University - Hindustan Times

Indians say Roti as well .

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom