What's new

Acts of Terrorism in Pakistan

Mr. Malik makes accusations but where is this "proof" that he is supposed to have?

Mr. Malik makes accusations but where is this "proof" that he is supposed to have?

Sadly i think Mr. Malik is just trying to downplay his inadequacy in dealing with a crisis much beyond his capability to resolve in any manner whatsoever.

You do not deliberate upon the proof amongst yourselves in closed rooms at a time when the resulting death toll has reached such proportions, you take on the countries responsible by throwing the proof in their faces!

Whereas there can be many enemy agencies/funding behind the TTP, there is no doubt that TTP composes of post Afghan War fighters, brainwashed Madrassa cannon fodder and many mercenaries for hire roaming in our motherland.

Providing the evidence for such covert support is not as easy as it sounds and the best way is to fight TTP as an enemy ARMY and then work on getting the proof once we capture key commanders and facilities...there shall be much more solid proof which we shall be able to produce after an operation.

Sadly the only way i see that happening is that ARMY will take initiative and inform the GOP of their operation to get the token approval...pathetic thing is that our Government is acting in a childish manner by thinking that if the things go bad...Army will take the fall...they still do not see the gravity of the situation and are hoping to be seen in a positive light by all.

The esteemed ministers and parliamentarians do not realize that if things do get that bad that even Army cannot save the situation then there will be no point in saving their own hides (if possible) since there will be no country left to rule for them.

I too, think Mr. Malik is relying on Pakistani's irrational attitudes - while there is no doubt that a number intelligence services are fishing the troubled waters of B'stan - Mr. Malik will offer more straws to clutch at instead of facing their problem head on.

I am not sure I understand what the Pakistan army are playing at, I do not for a minute buy the line that the army cannot fight, instead it seems to me that it is choosing not to.

I too, think Mr. Malik is relying on Pakistani's irrational attitudes - while there is no doubt that a number intelligence services are fishing the troubled waters of B'stan - Mr. Malik will offer more straws to clutch at instead of facing their problem head on.

I am not sure I understand what the Pakistan army are playing at, I do not for a minute buy the line that the army cannot fight, instead it seems to me that it is choosing not to.

Sir, with all nation/media/leaders bombarding ARMY 24/7 for always stepping on democracy's toes i am not surprised at ARMY not taking the initiative.
ARMY is giving democracy the space it has demanded so vehemently...the space is now being occupied by TTP and that is the essence of it.

I am positive that ARMY is itching to fight the enemy but the political complexity demands that GOP asks ARMY to move in and not vice verse...GOP has to give strong statements before the operation...an address by the Prime Minister...which despite its cosmetic value will still boost morale of the nation that our PM is taking on the terrorists....ARMY personnel will have support of nation and the elected reps which will make them more motivated and the rest they will do with their toil, sweat and blood... I have no doubt about that...

Still i have been hearing some buzz and i think it is a matter of few days that Army will move in with or without GOP request to do so...will be sad if GOP does not come out with all guns blazing and bombards the TTP farce in front of entire nation before the ARMY operation is launched...

Democracy promised us affirmative actions but sadly the democratically elected government is not putting its faith in the public and is afraid to directly assault the ideology of TTP with a fear that they may lose support of some religious parties.
Maybe its times our politicians grew up as well and looked beyond the next elections.

All green

Perhaps you may not know but I for one called this so called democratic govt for what it is, a criminal cabal imposed on the people of Pakistan - we all know that pakistani political parties do not practice democracy and yet to some they are like a religion.

As fo rthe Army, well, really I think they are playing a political game. Niaz has reported that it is his strong impression based on personal contacts that the army are demoralized and have no stomach for the fight. Enigma refutes this, I hope Engima is right.

We are also informed that the army does not want to be ahead of the civilians on this (read playing politics) The Army is subordinate to the civilian govt but it's responsibility (read duty) is to the Pakistani state and Nation. The longer it waits, the more timid and halfhearted it's response to this provocation.

But perhaps soon it will not be material whether the army will fight or not - Mr. Musharraf said of his Army that they are not sitting wearing bangles, I note Mr. General Kiyani offers no such fortitude.

All green

Perhaps you may not know but I for one called this so called democratic govt for what it is, a criminal cabal imposed on the people of Pakistan - we all know that pakistani political parties do not practice democracy and yet to some they are like a religion.

As fo rthe Army, well, really I think they are playing a political game. Niaz has reported that it is his strong impression based on personal contacts that the army are demoralized and have no stomach for the fight. Enigma refutes this, I hope Engima is right.

We are also informed that the army does not want to be ahead of the civilians on this (read playing politics) The Army is subordinate to the civilian govt but it's responsibility (read duty) is to the Pakistani state and Nation. The longer it waits, the more timid and halfhearted it's response to this provocation.

But perhaps soon it will not be material whether the army will fight or not - Mr. Musharraf said of his Army that they are not sitting wearing bangles, I note Mr. General Kiyani offers no such fortitude.

I will agree with Enigma here...most of the officers and soldiers know what is at stake...i had been in touch with some friends and relatives who fought in the Wana and SWAT sectors...some even canceled their due leaves in order to be with their troops...In many of the actions in which troops were overwhelmed, most of the ARMY men fought till they were martyred or incapacitated whereas many of the FC men surrendered when offered by militants...there are many good FC troops but overall they are not willing to fight to the last when they are offered surrender option.

There have been many brave acts in the war but we do not use our propaganda machinery to highlight our brave acts, honor the martyrs and prove the righteousness of our actions to the nation, again and again...when faced with propaganda you have to counter it with even stronger one.

The low morale is due to the attitude of the nation in hailing all the actions as pro US (a very sad thing to see) but still regular ARMY troops have always been more than a match for the TTP in most of the sectors that these two have engaged each other.

On a side note...
If US indeed wants to rip apart Pakistan then TTP actually are helping them in such a goal and therefore if we want to foil a suspected US plot to destabilize Pakistan...we need to eliminate TTP.

Editorial: Is it India or is it Taliban?

April 25, 2009

Mr Nawaz Sharif said Thursday that India and Pakistan need to normalise relations in order to resolve the current crises in the region. This contrasted with the statement by the new Jama’at-e Islami chief, Syed Munawar Hasan, that Pakistan must sever relations with India because the latter is allegedly involved in the insurrection in Balochistan. There is a third-party comment from the US Secretary of State, Ms Hilary Clinton, about the “good news” that Pakistan is withdrawing some troops from the border with India and making them confront the terrorists in the tribal areas. This is in consonance with Mr Sharif’s wisdom.

Mr Sharif actually thought of normalisation of relations with India in the context of Kashmir. But even that suffices as long as it is the normalisation pledged by him in the Charter of Democracy of 2006. However, a number of other politically less powerful but influential men — because of their media profile — are recommending confrontation with India. They also want confrontation with the US because both, they vow, are involved in fomenting terrorism in Pakistan. One stands accused of destabilising Pakistan and wanting to undo it; the other is accused of wanting to cause a state breakdown to facilitate the taking away of Pakistan’s nuclear weapons. From Gen Aslam Beg to Gen Hamid Nawaz, retired generals are tracing all kinds of Taliban-owned terrorist attacks to India.

Even if we accept that India is fishing in the tribal areas, then too it does ot take away from the Taliban threat. Major-General Athar Abbas, Director-General ISPR, talking to The Friday Times this week, said: “Whatever one says, it cannot be denied that we face a conventional threat on the eastern border that we cannot ignore. There is a history of conflict with India, and there are several outstanding issues. For example, the water issue is emerging as a serious problem between the two countries. Also consider that the Pakistan-specific conventional capabilities of India are being expanded; and there was a 35 percent increase in the budget for this capability. Can any nation lower its guard against such a threat?”

But the point about the Taliban threat is not to reduce the threat perception from India but to realise that the internal security dimension offers an immediate and existential threat. What is more important to consider is the fact that Pakistan may be defeated from the inside before it is able to confront India effectively on the borders. This is what everyone in Pakistan and outside it is now saying and so far the state has not shown the will to fight the internal threat. The world is prepared to help with military and non-military funds and providing training to our security forces to fight the terrorists and win this war.

India will not talk just now as it is in the throes of general elections. Both the big parties are casting their net for votes by exploiting the anger aroused among the masses against Pakistan after the Mumbai attacks. The government in New Delhi can’t take the risk of being seen fraternising with Pakistan, but some communication can be established through the secondary channels to enable Pakistan to safely disengage from the eastern border and save its citizens from being slaughtered behind its back. Unless the army gets to enjoy an upper hand vis-à-vis the Taliban soon, it runs the risk of losing internal cohesiveness.

The Balochistan issue with India can be negotiated because the Baloch sub-nationalists are demanding constitutional rights and that issue in any case needs to be tackled within the larger framework of the federation. India is definitely making trouble there but it won’t be able to get a corresponding response from the Baloch if the Baloch grievances can be addressed.

Meanwhile, it is not advisable to include Russia in the terrorist equation, as Security Adviser Mr Rehman Malik did on Thursday, because even in the 1970s the Russians did not train the Baloch insurgents, Indeed, Russia has stayed away from our mess since 1991. What is the logic of inflating the threat simply in order to explain why Pakistan is not engaging the Taliban?

Make a start, for Pakistan’s sake

By Shada Islam
Saturday, 25 Apr, 2009

HERE’S a word of warning to Pakistan’s top policymakers, both civilian and military: the time for muddling through is over. So is the time for incoherent waffling, glib comments and irresponsible policies.

With extremism gaining ground and the country on the verge of becoming a failed state, Pakistan and its increasingly discredited leadership must stop playing with fire — and the future of the country.

Pakistan’s survival is at stake. That is why international donors meeting in Tokyo this month coughed up another $5bn in economic development aid to the country. Islamabad is counting on more help from the US, and European countries will probably also take out their cheque books soon in a bid to help stabilise Pakistan.

But such aid, and the goodwill that goes with it, is conditional on Pakistan being able to deliver results. Both the assistance and the good intentions will dry up soon unless Pakistan’s leaders become genuinely serious about tackling militancy. In other words, the ‘good old days’ of the Bush-Cheney era when Islamabad could do no wrong as a key partner in the ‘war on terror’ are over.

Mercifully, the Obama administration has dropped all references to the ‘war on terror’ and while Washington believes stabilising Pakistan is a priority, US aid will now come with strong strings attached. Put bluntly: Pakistan’s leaders can no longer count on the endless sympathy or understanding of their western allies.

Just as well. Pakistanis deserve better leaders and a better life. They deserve to live in a stable and peaceful country on the road to modernity. They deserve respect for their resilience, their hard work and their ability to survive in harsh times. Instead they find themselves living in the ‘most dangerous country in the world’ which is losing global respect as it reverses, slowly but surely, into turmoil and chaos. As one well-intentioned senior European diplomat told this correspondent: “When I look at Pakistan, I despair.”

Small wonder then that President Asif Ali Zardari can expect some tough talking when he visits Washington early next month for talks with US officials and his Afghan counterpart Hamid Karzai. Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani should brace himself for an equally uneasy few hours when he holds first-ever summit talks with European Union leaders in mid-June.

American irritation with Islamabad was clearly expressed by US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s statement to the House Foreign Affair’s Committee this week that the Pakistani government was “abdicating to the Taliban and extremists”. Senior EU and Nato policymakers are similarly concerned about the government’s growing penchant for peace deals with militants and Mr Gilani’s smug reference to ‘homegrown’ strategies for fighting terrorism.

Neither the Americans nor most Europeans are under any illusion about either Mr Zardari or Mr Gilani. Both are seen as intellectual lightweights, either unwilling or unable to deal with the enormous challenge of combating the increasingly fierce insurgency. Newspaper reports and photographs of the two men in polite (one hopes) conversation, looking for all intents and purposes like uneasy representatives of two rival states, just about sum up Pakistan’s messy political landscape.

The Pakistan Army, meanwhile, should also be under no illusion that it is seen as a valid alternative to the current ramshackle civilian rule. Pakistan’s military leaders and the security establishment are as discredited in the West as the civilians, with Americans and Europeans alike finally realising that the army, with its focus on fighting wars with India, is — among other things — in desperate need of counter-terrorism training to fight the militants.

It is now widely acknowledged that far from being the ‘bulwark’ against extremism and the proponent of ‘enlightened moderation’ that he claimed to be, former President Pervez Musharraf is largely responsible for Pakistan’s current perilous state.

Clinton is right: Pakistan is facing an existential threat. What alarms and dismays this correspondent, and many other expatriates, is just how oblivious many in Pakistan appear to be to the very real danger to the Pakistani state posed by the insurgency. This refusal to acknowledge the gravity of the situation — except when demanding foreign aid for ‘counter terrorism’ — is particularly true of those in power.

That this state of denial can exist after the murder of Benazir Bhutto, the Marriott bombings and the attacks on the Sri Lankan cricket team is particularly difficult to understand.

But then there are many aspects of Pakistan’s policies that are bewildering. At a recent meeting of the Alliance of Civilisations in Istanbul, I was asked by participants just how the Pakistani government could find the time to sponsor and promote a resolution in the UN Human Rights Council which would stop the ‘defamation of religion’.

The resolution is clearly designed to stop criticism and perceived insults to Islam. But, asked one observer, instead of focusing on western cartoons and films, the Pakistani government would be well advised to take action against militants and insurgents who are ‘defaming’ Islam on a daily basis. Interestingly, Clinton has called on Pakistanis, including those in the diaspora, to “speak out forcefully” in an effort to change the Pakistani government’s attitude.

Many Pakistanis, both inside and outside the country, have indeed been cautious and wary of speaking out against the extremists. Criticising ‘fellow’ Muslims, however unsavoury they may be, is still frowned upon in certain circles. It is easier to lash out against the West instead.

Similarly, speaking out against government policies is wrongly viewed as unpatriotic and a betrayal of Pakistan. This is nonsense, of course, but expatriates have been particularly vulnerable to critics who claim that they don’t really have the right to speak out on domestic issues because they do not live in Pakistan.

Those arguments no longer hold water. In these days of almost instant and constant travel, the Internet, mobile phones, blogs and Twitter, no one can be accused of being ‘out of touch’ with the reality of Pakistan. Changing attitudes and mindsets is not easy, of course. But we have to make a start. For Pakistan’s sake.

The writer is Dawn’s correspondent in Brussels.

Musharraf ready to ‘run’ Pakistan

LAHORE: Former president Gen (r) Pervez Musharraf has said he is prepared to return to office if the political and economic situation continues to deteriorate. Interviewed by Sir David Frost for the Al-Jazeera television channel, he said he would consider serving another term if he felt he could make a valuable contribution. Musharraf told Frost he had decided to resign because if he had remained in office he would have become “some kind of an impotent president. I’m not the kind of person who sits around uselessly. I can’t be a useless man”. But since stepping down, he said, he was “despondent” about what was happening particularly now that the Taliban have been allowed to introduce sharia law in Swat. He said he believed the Taliban now constituted a far greater threat to Pakistan than Al QaedaMusharraf blamed the US for the ‘trust deficit’ between Washington and Islamabad. He said President Barack Obama had not helped change the US attitude towards Pakistan and is little different from his predecessor. daily times monitor

:pakistan::pakistan::pakistan::cheers::pakistan:

All green

My view is that PA has been trained and indoctrinated to fight a traditional war with India, a known enemy. If we have a war with India tomorrow, PA will perform admirably. Talib on the other hand is an unknown enemy. One doesn’t really know who your enemy is until he blows himself up. Also most of the people on the other side are Pakistanis; your own brother may be on the other side. No matter how disciplined, ordinary soldier and the officers are part of the society, they feel the same and read the same news papers and watch the same programs.

You have read what Imran Khan had said. Pak Media and people such as Imran Khan have been successful in creating the impression that Taliban are the victims and WOT is US war not of Pakistan’s. Every thing will be alright if Pakistan disassociates from this war on terror. Whenever PA was about to gain victory, their operation was halted on one pretext or another. It is bound to cause demoralization. I am convinced that whether FC or regular army, Taliban are not going to be defeated. How can you stop March of Taliban when Jamiat Tulaaba and JI are calling “Sufi Mohammed aao hum tumhare saath haein” as in one of the threads?

We need to close all the madrassahs as start; at least it will eliminate Tailban ‘Fifth Column” within Pakistan polity. Do we have spine for that? Secondly we need a consensus in the parliament to establish the writ of the parliament regardless of the cost, do we stomach strong enough? Would our media refrain from exploiting the situation by repeating the scenes of destruction by PA bombing ‘N” times and ignore barbarism of Taliban thus causing each offensive to be halted short of achieving success?

IMO answer of all the above is NO. I rest my case.

Niaz Saheb

We Pakistanis have been protecting the army for a bit too long - we can no longer do it, as we once did.

It pains me, but since those whose responsibility it is to do it will not do it, I take it upon myself: Fact of the matter is, Sir, that the army's sympathy is not with the people of Pakistan but with the Talib - any time sh t hits the fan, the army will issue a feel good meaningless statement, but it will not defeat the Talib -- Army is wedded to the Islamist concept of war (irregular) unfortunately for the army there is no plauisible deniablity left for it.

Army strategy has failed in Afghanistan, yet the army refuses to acknoeledge it and seems unable to come up with alternative policies to safeguard Pakistani interests, similarly army strategy in Inidna administered kashmir has also failed, and again for the same reasons because the tool/policy employed was pretty much the same - now the army is hellbound to fail in Pakistan itself.

Army was Pakistan's showcase institution, it no longer is, it cannot be. Far from furthering Pakistani interests, these failures have put Pakistan in an ever increasing levels of threat and consequences.

A while ago, you may have read op-ed pieces suggesting that after the attack on the police academy, it is clear that it is the police that will carry the fight forward, incredibly, Sir, I and all others here can assure you that you did not find a rebuttal by ISPR of that statement.

Fine, If Pakistan army and politicians will not do what is required, recall we are talking of Pakistan, there are those who are willing to take on talib -OTalib is not 10 feet tall, and militias have cut them to size, with a little help (wink, wink, nudge, nudge) elsewhere and will do so again in Pakistan, army or no army, it's no longer relevent .

Now before the more patriot than thou brigade take offence, lets ask whether talking of the Army's Pakistan or Pakistan's army.

I've held EXACTLY this view and expressed it here without virtue of inside contacts to your army. I'm sorry but given the nat'l narrative and culture inculcated by Zia, there's little reason to think that your army is psychologically prepared for civil war-

"... Also most of the people on the other side are Pakistanis; your own brother may be on the other side. No matter how disciplined, ordinary soldier and the officers are part of the society, they feel the same and read the same news papers and watch the same programs."

That moment of hesitancy will kill. Being killed by your own will demoralize. This was embedded into your army at SWAT and you'd be silly to think otherwise. It was a strategic retreat to preserve the psyche of your soldiers.

I only can pray that your commanders have been working your men emotionally for the coming battle. You'll be killing and killing Pakistanis at that-not yanks and not Indians.

This will challenge every ounce of leadership your troop commanders can muster.

Hi,

Thanks Muse. Pakistani millitary has failed miserably to curb the spread of taliban. Its assessment of the situation after the u s attack of afghanistan in 2002 has been a total failure as usual.

The pakistani generals---those retd and others occupying office have been seemingly been living in a different planet or a time warp. Their callous attitude and unprepared mindset has ground the nation to a halt and brought it pretty close to its knees.

There comes a time in the life of men---when a decision has to be made between a friend and foe and for the safety and the sovereignty of the nation---these generals have been a failure at that as well.

It is just simply an excuse that pak millitary is trained to fight the indians only---that is an absolute hogwash---pak millitary is trained to fight anyone once the order has been given. If the combat commander choses not to do so---that is a problem in itself of ideology---which rarely comes up----but that can be also resolved with a field cour martial and a firing squad---desperate measures are needed for desperate times.

Pak millitary has given too much time for the talibs to get stronger and deepen their roots in the locales---whereas the insurgency should have been fought at all the fronts---the battle should have started on tv media, pamphlets, public loudspeakers in town squares, radio and any other means available to counter the threat of the talib propaganda.

The FM radio transmission of the mullahs could have been jammed and the soucre of the stations bombed and destroyed.

Nothing to counter the talib propaganda has been done by the millitary. The question then need to be asked is---where does the millitary have its head buried at.

We do hear the sob-story of 3000 pakistani soldiers killed----but I tell you that their deaths have been wasted by the incompetent generals off the pakistani army----these generals are building their mauseleums over the dead bodies of the soldiers---which is just for show and tell---but nothing concrete has come out of this loss.

Here is an army which has become so gutless and spineless that it is letting its murderers go scott free---the people who cuts the throats of the army personale----public executions of the most heinious---any other army of the world with any kind of honor and dignity would hunt those murderers down and kill them one by one----but our great army has never claimed to go after them or has never come with even one executioner of the taliban as a prisoner.

This army has become absolutely pathetic in its function. We pakistanis give our army too much credit, respect and power. I believe that it is time to bring them down to the earth where they belong.

Pakistan should curtail the authority of the millitary---a millitary uniform should be inferior to the police uniform in civilian times and even at the time of war within the national boundaries. A change should be made for a police officer to be of more authority to that of the millitary man. Millitary must learn to do the job that they are destined to do.

The following published in todays News.

Fighting the militant within us

In the national interest

Monday, April 27, 2009
Kamal Siddiqi

The writer is editor reporting, The News

One can only wonder how Pakistan’s political and military leadership functions. Earlier this month, the faulty Nizam-e-Adl Regulation was steamrolled through Parliament and signed into law by the president. The regulation also had the blessings of the military leadership.

Prior to this, the government had been sidestepping the issue, given the nature of what was to be ratified. But then, push came to shove and we buckled under pressure. The chief of the Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Muhammadi (TNSM) threatened to pull out of the deal signed earlier between him and the ANP which had to be signed by the president. The ANP threatened to withdraw from the government. This in turn put pressure on President Zardari, already stung with the defeat of having had to restore the chief justice. And he complied, but only after making the Parliament (read Nawaz Sharif) a party to the act.

It is one thing to pass a regulation, and another to look at the fine print. What one needs to ask our MNAs is why no discussion was held on the regulation? Also, what was the legal implication of having it passed through Parliament? More important, what moral grounds do the MNAs have to stand on, given that they have given their unanimous approval of a regulation that hands over a whole division to a foreign power? Does the Parliament have the power to do this?

The stand taken in the Senate last week seems to be encouraging. But despite the rhetoric, the effort is of no value and is only symbolic. The on-ground reality is that the Taliban are in Swat. It has become their fiefdom. Our detractors are making fun of us. They say that in the bid to free one valley (Kashmir), we have ended giving up another (Swat). While this is hurtful, because there is an element of truth to it. The question now is, what are we doing about this? So far it seems that we are content at licking our wounds.

Now our political leadership is waking up to the full implications of what it has signed on. But our politicians have one message for people at home and another for audiences in the West. Mian Nawaz Sharif, who once wanted to assume the mantle of Ameer-ul-Momineen, told an American newspaper this week that he was “concerned” over the fact that the Taliban were now using Swat as a base to expand their operations in the whole area. This is the same Nawaz Sharif whose party voted en-bloc in favour of the faulted regulation. Did this not occur to him when he was forcing his party people to give their seal of approval?

Either our leadership is completely clueless or it is too devious for its own good. Anyone could have told them the simple fact that once the Taliban and the TNSM, which in many respects mean one and the same thing, take over Swat, they will consolidate and then expand their operations. But Prime Minister Gilani and Rehman Malik continued to “evade the truth” and reassured the people that all was well and under control. It was not. The prime minister stated in a programme on Geo TV that the Americans “needn’t worry about Swat.” What about the Pakistanis?

Sharif is now seeing himself as the new love of the American administration. His meetings in the US embassy and the subsequent statements from both sides indicate that he is presenting himself as the new candidate for kingship. His argument being that since he is right-of-centre, he will be in a better position to sell any disconnect with the Taliban and the religious militants that the Americans want to put into place.

If anyone has been truthful in all this, it has been the Taliban and the TSNM. Sufi Muhammad clearly said that the ruling of the Qazi court would not be challenged by any other court in the land, including the Supreme Court. Sufi also labelled the courts of Pakistan as un-Islamic. Which, in effect, means that not only will the Swat courts function independently, but the Supreme Court’s writ will also not extend to Swat.

More alarmingly, the Taliban spokesman, appropriately called Muslim Khan, has welcomed foreign militants, including Al Qaeda members, to Swat. He has said that they are welcome not only to come to Swat but also stay here too. In other words, base their operations from the Valley. This has caused much panic in world capitals and forced the question that was not asked earlier. What and who will protect Pakistan’s nuclear assets if the Taliban are within an earshot of Islamabad?

The Taliban know what they are doing. Muslim Khan has already stated that, if invited, the militia can even turn up in Karachi. At the same time, they have withdrawn from Buner. However, in Buner they have proved their point. The people of Buner had risen up against the Taliban. Now these people are scared and frustrated. Afghan Tajiks were sent in to terrorise the populace. They have promised they will come back. In all this, the government has remained silent, when it should have come to the rescue of its citizens.

It is under these extraordinary circumstances that US secretary of state Hillary Clinton urged Pakistanis to speak out against the government’s Taliban policy and the deal in Swat. By all means, this is direct interference in the internal affairs of Pakistan. At the same time, it is sad to note that the American leadership has said what politicians should have been saying ever since the NAR came into discussion. Our leadership in this respect has been deceptive. And it continues to be.

Our politicians and organs of the state and parts of the media stands hijacked by an increasingly active and militant right. Men and women who belong to rightwing parties are working overtime to blunt the government’s efforts on the war on terror. They are also strong in confusing issues and resetting the agenda. It is on these people that we need to focus as well.

As Pakistanis we need to ask ourselves what we want with this war, that has been imposed on us. In mosques, in parks and in homes, there is talk amongst some that the Taliban are the people who will come and set things straight in the country. Religious verses and texts are quoted to prop this argument. But how many of us really know how the Taliban operate and administer governance?

The media is shy of talking about life under the Taliban. One needs not go far. People can go to Swat and experience the rule firsthand. Given this situation, they can then welcome or reject the system of governance. As Pakistanis, especially those who directly or indirectly favour the Taliban and argue that this group is not against Pakistan, we need to know what our rightwing lobby is trying to get us into.

One of the reasons why Pakistan faces such challenges to its existence is that we are always looking for shortcuts and those who should stand strong, collapse at the hint of pressure or provocation. The writ of the state is challenged time and again and we are left with empty assurances given by de facto interior minister Rehman Malik.

The state is seen as weak. Despite the spending of billions on defence and law and order, the people feel more insecure than ever. We have an elected government in place, but it continues to act like a dictatorship. We are fighting a war from within, but we keep on blaming external forces. It is a matter of time before our misdeeds will catch up with us. It is time to take some important decisions and open our eyes to the bitter realities that surround us. We have no other choice.

Email: kamal.siddiqi@thenews.com.pk

Fighting the militant within us

Niaz Saheb:

In Earlier posts we have pointed out that the American praises Mr. Gen. Kiyani is a example of tact and to keep him boxed in the role he wishes to project to the world -- as usual those who think they are more patriotic denouced us, instead of seeing us as caring and our analysis reasonably well forumulated, they question whether we are Pakistani and Muslim and some in authority nod in agreement:

From IHT, an editorial:

Editorial
60 Miles From Islamabad

April 26, 2009
If the Indian Army advanced within 60 miles of Islamabad, you can bet Pakistan’s army would be fully mobilized and defending the country in pitched battles. Yet when the Taliban got that close to the capital on Friday, pushing into the key district of Buner, Pakistani authorities sent only several hundred poorly equipped and underpaid constabulary forces.

On Sunday, security forces were reported to be beginning a push back. The latest advance by the Taliban is one more frightening reminder that most Pakistanis — from top civilian and military leaders to ordinary citizens — still do not fully understand the mortal threat that the militants pose to their fragile democracy. And one more reminder to Washington that it can waste no time enabling such denial.

Pakistanis don’t have to look far to see what life would be like under Taliban rule. Since an army-backed peace deal ceded the Swat Valley to the militants, the Taliban have fomented class revolt and terrorized the region by punishing “un-Islamic” activities like dancing and girls’ attending school. The more territory Pakistan cedes to the extremists, the more room the Taliban and Al Qaeda will have to launch attacks on American and NATO forces in Afghanistan.

And — most frightening of all — if the army cannot or will not defend its own territory against the militants, how can anyone be sure it will protect Pakistan’s 60 or so nuclear weapons?

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton was right last week when she warned that Pakistan was “abdicating to the Taliban.” American military leaders in recent days have also begun to raise the alarm, but for too long they insisted that Gen. Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, chief of staff of the army, did recognize the seriousness of the threat. We certainly have not seen it.

On Friday, even as Mr. Kayani insisted “victory against terror and militancy will be achieved at all costs,” he defended the Swat deal. On Sunday, government officials insisted again that the deal remained in force despite obvious Taliban violations. Mr. Kayani complains that his troops lack the right tools to take on the militants, including helicopters and night-vision goggles. The army should have used some of the $12 billion it received from Washington over the last seven years to do just that, instead of spending the money on equipment and training to go after India. The next round of aid should include these items but also require that they be used to fight the militants

Pakistan’s weak civilian leaders, including President Asif Ali Zardari and the opposition leader Nawaz Sharif, are complicit in the dangerous farce, wasting energy on political rivalries. They must persuade General Kayani to shift at least part of his focus and far more resources away from the Indian border to the Afghan border.

Things are not going smoothly on the American side either. President Obama was right to recognize the need for an integrated strategy dealing with both Afghanistan and Pakistan. But his team has a lot more work to do, including figuring out ways to strengthen Pakistan’s government and its political will.

Congress is mulling two different bills increasing aid to Pakistan. Whichever prevails should set clear benchmarks, especially on military spending. Like Pakistan, Washington cannot afford to waste any more time figuring out the way forward — not with the Taliban 60 miles from Islamabad

Perhaps now positions which can be seen as creating excuses, waiting for the magical creation of "conducive" circumstances, may assert that just such circumstances have been created - that is if they are attuned to signals as one expects they should be.

pakistan army must remember that it is Pakistan army not Army's Pakistan and that it is it's DUTY, it's reason for being, not to play chicken with politiicans, but to safeguard the lives and property of Pakistanis - this it will either do, or it will be show the way to a job it may be better suited for.

Back
Top Bottom