What's new

AAP's cheap politics- offers ticket to Irom Sharmila, rejected

IMPHAL: Activist Irom Sharmila Chanu, who has been on a fast demanding repeal of the controversial Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) for the last 14 years, has rejected Aam Admi Party (AAP)'s offer to contest the ensuing Lok Sabha polls under its banner from Inner Manipur Lok Sabha seat.

Through Just Peace Foundation (JPF), a trust set up by rights activists for the cause of Sharmila's unrelenting crusade against the military act, senior AAP leader Prashant Bhushan proposed her to contest the election.

"Since I don't want to enter politics, I have applied my mind and rejected the offer this morning," Sharmila told reporters on Friday during her routine production before an Imphal court.

The police charged the 'Iron Lady of Manipur' under section 309 IPC (attempt to commit suicide).

"Politics according to me is uncertain and vague as the people cannot keep their faith and trust on the politicians all the time," said Sharmila (42).

Human Rights Alert (HRA) executive director and JPF trustee Babloo Loitongbam said that Sharmila, as usual, has no interest in joining politics.

In the height of the Manipur assembly election in January 2012, Sharmila had termed the politicians as "shameless people", saying that they failed to scrap AFSPA despite their countless promises.

People of insurgency-hit Manipur have been demanding the repeal of AFSPA that gives sweeping powers to the armed forces even to the extent of shooting people on mere suspicion.

A resident of Kongpal Konkham Leikai in Imphal East, Sharmila has been fasting since November 5, 2000, three days after Assam Rifles troops shot dead ten civilians at Malom village in Imphal West in an alleged retaliatory firing.

She is currently being forced-fed through her nose at the security ward of the state-run Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences hospital.

Irom Sharmilla rejects AAP's offer to contest LS polls - The Times of India
Some facts -

Irom Sharmilla is India's national pride. Her method of protest is unprecedented and poses a serious question to how the State responds to individual criticism.

She is not anti Indian at all. She could have mustered support easily by being in just one anti Indian rally. She never did that.

She does not want power, position, money - only the AFSPA removed or diluted. - Something even I consider discussing about. Especially now that both the North East and Kashmir are reasonably peaceful.

In the past also Irom was asked to join Congress/secessionists etc. Also came the Left wing jholawallas from JNU etc. She refused them all. She did not cast anyone as good or bad. Everyone are not drama queens. She has a valid point of protest - and she has sacrificed and continues to do so only because she cares for the State and wants it to change and improve.

The present Government has ignored her, the baba who fasted to protect Ganga etc. Hopefully the future Government will show more maturity. :angel:

Oh really?Do you know that a large part of those tens of thousands killed are those denied justice due to AFSPA ?Extra judicial killing,torture,collateral damage and rape victims committing suicide or killed off by security force personnel to hide their crimes and erase all evidence?You think those anti-India speeches are a privilege?Those are the basic human rights.The question is still not answered,who decides what situation is out of hand or not ?Are there any checks and balances as required in democratic set ups?No,AFSPA is a draconian law no different from what the chicoms have?How hard is the fact to understand that AFSPA creates more separatists than it puts downs.So the glorious ratta babus think that creating scores more separatists to put down a handful is a beneficial cost benefit scenario?Add to that bad international press,erosion of softpower and the most important of all,the loss of goodwill among its own citizens ?
Now you want to compare to china ?Very high standards I see
There is still substantial space to protest against the State in India within constitutional means. You can get away with a post like above and so can I. Point is how far do we go. I don't understand why the AFSPA is kept intact after the incidents have come down to normalcy levels. :P

Back
Top Bottom