What's new

A question to all Indian members regarding Indo-Pak water teaty

On the grounds of humanity , I won't stop water to Pakistan .

And on the ground of humanity i am saying that we must stop this treaty and channel some water to other areas where there is scarcity o water. Indians are human as well.

I never suggested to stop water to Pakistan. 80% of Indian waters flow into Pakistan and then wasted into the sea.

Don't bring 'poor farmers' into this. There is a lot that we can do without impinging on the rights of the pak establishment, let's do that first.

We cant do anything. We cant dictate monsoons. Even water harvesting is too little too late.

And on the ground of humanity i am saying that we must stop this treaty and channel some water to other areas where there is scarcity o water. Indians are human as well.

I never suggested to stop water to Pakistan. 80% of Indian waters flow into Pakistan and then wasted into the sea.

We cant do anything. We cant dictate monsoons. Even water harvesting is too little too late.

You're just trolling and wasting our time

we can't do it, because we love our dear neighbour.:devil:

We are talking here about a treaty with Pakistan. If you look at past, Pakistan itself has not honored any of the treaty with India either. That includes Simla agreement and LOC ceasefire. For the world India is a very credible country and I think no body will give a damn if we break the treaty with Pakistan.

Please understand this treaty is a major hurdle in India's development plants. A lot of Indian dam and power generation projects are stalled because of this treaty. This is the high time it should go. We can drain the water to be used for irrigation in other states where there is deficiency of water.

And regarding your point relating to our other neighbor , i agree with you. But we should stop playing always on backfoot. Any such move is bound to make someone or other unhappy. But we shouldnt decide our development goals based on what some other party thinks or do.

I totally disagree with you that it has kept both the parties Happy. If you follow Pak media there is a huge cry about how we are denying them water. But on ground we have never stopped the supply. Its a shame that we have started to follow an appeasement policy with Pakistan hoping that it will suddenly have a heart change and will stop creating problems for us.

You forget that the fact that one treaty is not very effective has no bearing on other treaties that are in force.

A simple reading of the responses to your suggestion will show you how much support that sort of move is likely to have in any quarters. Official and unofficial. Incidentally, not a single dam or power project has been planned based on a misuse of the waters of the Indus system. By saying that these are planned and held up, you are giving totally wrong information to people.

This business of being on the back foot is bizarre. The Chinese honour treaties, scrupulously. I would like to know of a single example where they have violated a treaty.

Finally, you have apparently not considered checking the waste of waters in our own territories.

Water conservation begins at home.

And I agree with the poster who said that you are trolling and wasting everybody's time.

Ha Ha Ha. Good job. If you cant argue with someone then brand him as a troll.

If this thread is wasting your time then get the F*** out of here.

I don't think we need to break a treaty with a neighboring country to solve our problems. We have extensive alternate resources by which we can solve our internal problems rather than doing something which will give rise to unnecessary tensions.

I understand your concern sir but you are undermining India's diplomacy power. We did a nuke test a decade ago and everyone put sanction on us. Now the same countries are in a race to sell uranium to India. We should consult with Worldbank and convince them about our actions. Or at least try doing it. Why should we honor a treaty with anyone if the other party doesnt. Why doesnt Worldbank or UN penalize other party to break ceasefire agreement or to defy simple rules of engagement based on Geneva convention.

Because neither the World Bank nor the UN was a party to either the ceasefire agreement, whichever one you are referring to, or to the rules of engagement.

You forget that the fact that one treaty is not very effective has no bearing on other treaties that are in force.

A simple reading of the responses to your suggestion will show you how much support that sort of move is likely to have in any quarters. Official and unofficial. Incidentally, not a single dam or power project has been planned based on a misuse of the waters of the Indus system. By saying that these are planned and held up, you are giving totally wrong information to people.

This business of being on the back foot is bizarre. The Chinese honour treaties, scrupulously. I would like to know of a single example where they have violated a treaty.

Finally, you have apparently not considered checking the waste of waters in our own territories.

Water conservation begins at home.

And I agree with the poster who said that you are trolling and wasting everybody's time.

Kishanganga Hydroelectric Plant
Baglihar Dam ... and there are many more. Now Pakistan has made a habit of reporting every Indian plan of making Dams to WB. Every such move delays Indian projects to at least 8-10 years.

SHow me any of my comments where i said that chinese don't respect treaties. I was saying that they are not HYPOCRITE like many of us Indians. I was praising them for that. This one thing we can learn from them.

@Armstrong He wants to stop your water, come over and gobble him up whole. I am sure you won't mind gnawing on his femur, no?

Baglihar Dam

SHow me any of my comments where i said that chinese don't respect treaties. I was saying that they are not HYPOCRITE like many of us Indians. I was praising them for that. This one thing we can learn from them.

My my, rather misinformed and wholly ill-equipped to address the issue at hand aren't we?

Here's the thing, Pakistan has issues with Kishanganga and Baglihar but their objection does not mean that we're planning to stop the flow of water. You asked a question and you got your answer. Now I have a question for you, give me the base flow values for Neelum in any given year and I'll agree with you- fail to answer the question and it will become a bit difficult for you to post afterwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because neither the World Bank nor the UN was a party to either the ceasefire agreement, whichever one you are referring to, or to the rules of engagement.

But this is not an excuse to explain why they break those treaties. And what about engagement rules of geneva convention. That applies for all. (Dont want go in detail into that.)

My simple point > If other party does not respect a treaty ... we also should not.

I respect your opinion but this treaty itself was the most foolish decision India ever made. Period.

Try for a similar treaty with our eastern neighbor they will be even quicker to show you a middle finger. This is the only one reason why i admire so much about our eastern neighbor. When they decide to do some thing they dont give a heck about what others think. Thats why they are so successful.

I am sorry India but your so called soft power diplomacy is not working.

And what does Pakistan do with that water. Lets it flow in Arabian sea. Whats wrong if we can drain the water to our needy states instead let that go into Arabian sea ?

You need to bone up on your facts. If the other side were not so openly contemptuous of this idea, they would have been busy pointing out that there is already a shortage of water on their side. While it is not due to any diversion of water on our part, it is grossly incorrect to say that water flows unused into the sea in Pakistan.

This thread

Is
A proof against theory of evolution

attachment.php

And what does Pakistan do with that water. Lets it flow in Arabian sea. Whats wrong if we can drain the water to our needy states instead let that go into Arabian sea ?

Pakistan also has water shortage! We use that water and it is also necessary to drain some of that into the sea or the sea incursion occurs!

Baglihar Dam ... and there are many more. Now Pakistan has made a habit of reporting every Indian plan of making Dams to WB. Every such move delays Indian projects to at least 8-10 years.

Both of these projects are run of the river projects, and do not involve any diversion of waters, or any storage.

Neither of these is held up due to the Indus Waters Treaty.

If you admire the Chinese so much, you should learn from them that treaties are to be respected, scrupulously.

@Armstrong He wants to stop your water, come over and gobble him up whole. I am sure you won't mind gnawing on his femur, no?

I'll just bribe @Joe Shearer with some Kastoori Kebabs with melted butter on them, a freshly baked Kalvonji (Black Cumin seeds) Naan & a glass of ice chilled Mint Margaretta, to fight for my rights as a responsible citizen of India who loves his young protege (I) from across the border ! :kiss3:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom