What's new

A new year for DRDO (lots of info guys)

2014 may also see forward movement in the area of directed energy weapons with Indian efforts in the arena of solid state lasers being unveiled. Much work has already been done in the field of gas dynamic laser(GDL) and chemical oxygen iodine lasers (COIL). For instance enclosed below(see Fig I) is the 'solid model' of a 25 kilowatt (KW) vehicle mounted GDL developed by DRDO's Laser Science and Technology Centre (LASTEC) that has been successfully tested against airborne in the past. The auto laser pointing system used on this 'transportable' GDL originally belongs to a 100 KW GDL. Solid state systems with 20 per cent laser efficiency have also been developed.

fig1-lastec.jpg

Fig I. 25 KW 'transportable' gas dynamic laser developed by LASTEC

Perhaps a future LASTEC developed free electron laser (which are also being researched) could be miniaturized enough to fit the Rustom-2 UAV (see fig 2 below) which will soon take to the skies for the first time. A future post at 'Geek at large' will detail some of the engine options for this UAV which has been designed to fly at 30,000 feet with an endurance of up to 35 hours putting it in the medium altitude long endurance (MALE) category.

And no one noticed this ??

Is RUSTOM and AURA UCAV are same projects?
The project which meant for stealth unmanned combat vehicle powered by Kaveri? @acetophenol

So what are major difference between them?
Both are combat drones right? Is rustom uses tubofan or turboprop engine?

I guess. . . Rustom is a MALE surveillance drone. . . whereas AURA is stealth Bomber drone :enjoy:

Rustom-2 will be a Killer drone.

Rustom 2 and Rustom MALE are different? I have heard something like Rustom - H.

The one in the picture is Rustom 2 or Rustom MALE?

Rustom-2, H, MALE are all the same thing you see coming out of the hanger. Separate programs.

Will Rustom MALE able to fire any weapons or its just for observation and spy purposes?

Both.

Armed Rustom-2, H, etc will be armed with Helina, etc.

So what are major difference between them?
Both are combat drones right? Is rustom uses tubofan or turboprop engine?

Rustom 2 is prop.

AURA will be powered by a downgraded Kaveri.

It'll have the stealth shape, internal weapons bay, etc.

Last edited:
Finally India's very first UCAV is unveiled ... Great development.. Its first flight is to happen this feb right??
That's just UAV, I think it won't have any weapons since the original requirements were for MALE UAV rather than a UCAV. However, with that said this does gives us some info on the future development of AURA which will be our UCAV. Though I do hope we build a non stealth UCAV for our military in Kashmir to take care of terrorists crossing the borders.

i saw a discovery programme, where one guy had a heli turbine on his bike and raced with it.
Rustom-2, H, MALE are all the same thing you see coming out of the hanger. Separate programs.

Both.

Armed Rustom-2, H, etc will be armed with Helina, etc.

Rustom 2 is prop.

AURA will be powered by a downgraded Kaveri.

It'll have the stealth shape, internal weapons bay, etc.
When AURA is weaponized many IT people and gamers will find jobs in Defence :P, just kidding!

No, two different projects of course.

5RwJ9Rf.jpg
First of all, thank god they didn't put the blur paint on it, like it was on the mock-up. Secondly does any one have any info. regarding the engines they are going to using. And by engines I mean, are they going to home built, or are we going to buy them off the shelf from some other countries like Israel?

Back
Top Bottom